Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Catch-up » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:21 pm

And I'm guilty of it all the time. :oops: :lol:
Catch-up

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:25 pm

Catch-up wrote:And I'm guilty of it all the time. :oops: :lol:

Ooh. Hello!

Somebody call Jerry Springer! :lol:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Catch-up » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:27 pm

:lol: :shock: :lol:
Catch-up

Postby Trish » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:52 pm

Perdita X wrote:Why are people afraid to write a long sentence which communicates multiple ideas?

Because they are afraid of parallel sentences.

I love this place.
It's the only forum I belong to (3 others) where grammar is discussed, not assaulted.
Trish

Postby poohbcarrot » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:57 pm

Trish wrote:
Perdita X wrote:Why are people afraid to write a long sentence which communicates multiple ideas?

So, long sentences are the trousers of time of grammar (ie the trousers of grammar). The longer the sentence, the more different the possibilities.
If you only write short sentences, it's easier to stay on subject eg;

"It was hot. And it was windy. But it wasn't humid"

This stayed on the subject of the weather. Now see what happens if you make it one long sentence;

"It was hot and windy but the elephant played croquet on the lawn"

As you can see, the longer sentence produced a parallel meaning. So obviously the longer the sentence the more different possibilities are available.

Eventually you have someone like Thomas Hardy who liked to use sentences three pages long which need an aqualung to read. "Tess" actually started out as a shopping list for Tesco, but due to the trousers of grammar became a best-seller. :lol:
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby poohbcarrot » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:46 pm

The Trousers of Grammar theory explains why Jan Van Quirm writes posts that are miles long, take all evening to read and in which she contradicts herself and refutes her own arguments and in fact, in a parallel universe, Jan is still writing a post she started in March, but we still love her! :lol:
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:50 am

Yes, we do. And, we love you too Pooh. :kiss:
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:57 am

poohbcarrot wrote:The Trousers of Grammar theory explains why Jan Van Quirm writes posts that are miles long, take all evening to read and in which she contradicts herself and refutes her own arguments and in fact, in a parallel universe, Jan is still writing a post she started in March, but we still love her! :lol:

But at least I haven't had a sentence 3 pages long - yet! :twisted:

:D You should see some of my posts on the LotR forum I help run! :lol:

re bolded quote - ever heard of rhetoric? :P Actually I can't help it - I have far too many Irish, Scot and Cornish genes :lol:

And look - I've not even posted at any length in here! :twisted:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:32 pm

:lol: That's funny!
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby chris.ph » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:10 pm

do you do longer posts than lotr on your lotr forum jan :lol: :?: :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Batty » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:54 pm

poohbcarrot wrote:
Trish wrote:

So, long sentences are the trousers of time of grammar (ie the trousers of grammar). The longer the sentence, the more different the possibilities.

What if the trousers of time have turn ups? Will time double back on itself?
Another thought is: what if the trousers are flared? Will you be able to fill more words in the sentence before you run out of material?
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:22 pm

And THEN you get accused of confusing everyone by answering your own arguments :twisted:

chris.ph wrote:do you do longer posts than lotr on your lotr forum jan :lol: :?: :lol:

Only if I get paid for it - and I don't - so no :wink:

I'm currently writing some fanfiction that is standing at just over 76 A4 pages (568Kb) but that runs at around 27 posts on the forum most of which are approx 5 or 6 screen scrolls long (there is a limit to how much text you can load into a post - between about 8 - 10 screeenfuls :P )

It's on a pretty intriguing subjectthough - how Sauron & Morgoth made the Orcs :twisted:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:23 pm

Batty wrote:What if the trousers of time have turn ups? Will time double back on itself?
Another thought is: what if the trousers are flared? Will you be able to fill more words in the sentence before you run out of material?

Oh the Possibilities...and if the Trousers of Grammar are "High Water" trousers, will they be short thoughts?
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:39 pm

Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit wrote:
Batty wrote:What if the trousers of time have turn ups? Will time double back on itself?

Oh the Possibilities...and if the Trousers of Grammar are "High Water" trousers, will they be short thoughts?
If they have turnups that just means they will arrive on time with a enough material if a blip flares up. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby poohbcarrot » Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:33 pm

BUT should NEVER be used to start a sentence!

If you have the following two sentences;

It was raining. I went out.

The two ideas can be combined thusly (is that a word?)

It was raining, but I went out.
It was raining. However, I went out.
Although it was raining, I went out.

It was raining. But I went out. IS WRONG!

I'll bet Sir Pterry doesn't use "but" to start a sentence (not including dialogue because that's a whole different kettle of marine-living quadropeds :lol: )

If someone can supply me with a TP sentence beginning with "but", I'll donate 5 pounds to Alzheimer's.
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum