Postby Watchman44 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:04 am

Does after lunch on Christmas eve count?................... :whistle:
Who watches the watchman.......
FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC
Watchman44

Re: Christmas shopping!

Postby Catch-up » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:45 am

Yep! :D

Got in and out of Best Buy today, relatively unscathed. The bill wasn't pretty, but expected that. :roll:
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:04 am

Catch-up wrote:Yep! :D

Got in and out of Best Buy today, relatively unscathed. The bill wasn't pretty, but expected that. :roll:

Bills in those places never are, Best Buy set up in the UK(London) but did not take off as I don't think their prices were as cheap as ones in the States.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby The Mad Collector » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:49 am

I think they did the usual trick of American companies setting up shop here in the UK and kept the prices the same and just changed the currency so $50 becomes £50 :roll:
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Penfold » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:25 am

Watchman44 wrote:Does after lunch on Christmas eve count?................... :whistle:

The best time to do it, in my opinion. Alcohol definitely reduces the pain of the check-out queues and prices. :lol:
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Catch-up » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:31 pm

The Mad Collector wrote:I think they did the usual trick of American companies setting up shop here in the UK and kept the prices the same and just changed the currency so $50 becomes £50 :roll:

Well that's dumb! I wouldn't say their prices are cheap here, but they're certainly competitive. And their customer service has been amazing, so we keep going back for certain types of purchases.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
Catch-up

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:16 pm

Two stores I look in when I'm across there is look in Barnes&Noble and a Best Buy if there is one near, but not next year as the Worldcon is in London.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby mystmoon » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:29 pm

I've been picking up presents whilst at conventions so the only people left to buy for are my dad who'll be happy with a tie or something train related and my two best friends which is more tricky. I'm trying to figure out whether giving them a drawing each comes off as cheap :lol:
"Why is that gas stove wearing a hat?"
"He's going out"
mystmoon

Location: York, England, Europe, Earth, The Solar System, Milky Way, The Universe

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:11 pm

Get your Dad a copy of Raising Steam, it's all about Trains. ;) :mrgreen:
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Natalya » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:11 pm

As for me I've bought almost all gifts 1 month ago! :)
I have not enough time for shopping that's why I prefer internet-shopping. :) China's internet-shops were pretty good but in 2012 I was waiting for my package during ...1,5 month. This was not shop's fault, this was fault of our Russian Post... :(
Now situation was improved, but in this year I've decided not to risk and bought gifts on main Russian's internet-shop ('Ozon').
Now I have Big Pile of gifts (about 20 psc) in my small bedroom, but I'm happy, because of... Yesss, I'm, ready for a Christmas! :dance:
It were gifts for our distant relations who live in our town and my friends.

Besides, I ordered special 'Video-alive congratulations from Grandfather Frost' where he is calling name of child (I pointed it in my order) for my little nephews who live in other towns.

Gift for my daughter was hidden in our bedroom, too. Gift for my husband was hidden in daughter's room.
One or two weeks before Christmas I'll buy gifts for my mother, my granny, my 2 brothers, my brother-in-law family, my father-in-law.

Er... that will be all! :dance:
...Ahem... Not all! Christmas postcards for my ex-colleagues in other towns... Unfortunately, real beautiful postcard is a Big Problem in our post offices, that's why I will just send internet-postcards...:(

By the way. Do you know that New Year is more traditional holiday for Russians than Christmas?
Because Christmas was not official holiday during approximately 70 years (since 1917). This is not means that we don't understand what is Christmas. This is means that celebration of New Year was good mysterious miracle for children and adults for 70 years. It was a fairy tale with Grandfather Frost who was putting our gifts under decorated fir tree in a holiday night. So it was for 70 years (in my childhood, too)...And so far!

But Christmas is another holiday with another deep sense and we love it, too and we celebrate Christmas too. :)

Sorry, I have not got enough words for good explanations in this subject :). But I just so wanted to tell you about it... I hope that I managed it. :)
Best regards! :)
Natalya
Natalya

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:32 pm

It always fascinates me to discover the different ways different countries celebrate. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Catch-up » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:55 pm

I love hearing about that too. :D

Sounds like you're all set Natalya! So will you open gifts on Christmas, New Year or both?
Catch-up

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:10 pm

Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby jaznbonnie » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:41 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:Susanne. You gotta go to KMart!

http://mashable.com/2013/11/18/kmart-ch ... ad-boxers/

This link would do quite nicely in the One for the Ladies Thread as well. ;) :orcs-buttshake: :lol:
Be careful what you wish for as you just might get it.
jaznbonnie

Postby Natalya » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:46 am

Catch-up wrote:I love hearing about that too. :D

Sounds like you're all set Natalya! So will you open gifts on Christmas, New Year or both?

Frankly, yes. In general, we usually open our gifts on New Year :)

Our Christmas Day is on 07 of January. This is because of changing calendars, the Orthodox [Eastern] Church etc ... This is very tangled and long story! :?
Thus, at first we celebrate New Year with fir tree, Grandfather Frost, gifts, delicious meals and alcohol drinks (the last thing is optionally! :lol: ).

And after some days we (our family and others) celebrate the Christmas in more calmly atmosphere.. :pray:
Many older people keep the fast before the Christmas(my mother, for example, but not me).
Gifts are presented only for special, very close people, sometimes with especial (spiritual) meaning. If you are want to say something especial person.

But part of population in Russia celebrates the Christmas with fir tree, gifts, delicious meals and alcohol drinks ... It depends on person! :) (My family steers a middle course in this )

... By the way, we have another New Year which is called 'Old New Year' on 13 of January. This is because of changes calendars, too (Julian calendar, Gregorian calendar). And many Russians celebrate it, too :). Without gifts, indeed! :lol:
... Eventually, on 4 of February lasts of Russian fans celebrate Eastern (oriental?) New Year ...By the way, some people keep their fir tree till 4 of February! :whistle: In general, This is happening only because of some people love holidays so much! :lol: :dance:
Best regards! :)
Natalya
Natalya

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum