You Learn Something New Every Day...

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: You Learn Something New Every Day...

Postby The Mad Collector » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:08 pm

Unlike poor Winnie, EH Shepard used his sons Steiff bear as a model for the drawings, but Winnie was actually made by Farnell in England and looks nothing like the drawings in the books :roll:

Image

Image
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
User avatar
The Mad Collector
Member
 
Posts: 10412
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:48 am
Location: Ironbridge UK

Re: You Learn Something New Every Day...

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:10 pm

Hello Kitty is NOT a cat! :o And she lives in Britain!! :o :o
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
User avatar
Tonyblack
Moderator
 
Posts: 29232
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:29 pm
Location: Cardiff, Wales

Re: You Learn Something New Every Day...

Postby KnightOfFewWords » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:34 pm

Today I learned that the half-life of an office teaspoon is 81 days (every 81 days a sample of office teaspoons will half in size). This makes them more than one hundred thousand times as radioactive as Plutonium-239. :shock:

Image
User avatar
KnightOfFewWords
Member
 
Posts: 444
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:05 am

Re: You Learn Something New Every Day...

Postby The Mad Collector » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:49 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: but so true
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
User avatar
The Mad Collector
Member
 
Posts: 10412
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:48 am
Location: Ironbridge UK

Re: You Learn Something New Every Day...

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:23 pm

It's my belief that the teaspoons are recycled into the wire coat hangers that seem to magically appear in your wardrobe. ;)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
User avatar
Tonyblack
Moderator
 
Posts: 29232
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:29 pm
Location: Cardiff, Wales

Re: You Learn Something New Every Day...

Postby phalarope » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:54 pm

Send me some of those will you Tony; I never seem to have enough. I think the cat eats them...
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.'
-- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips
User avatar
phalarope
Member
 
Posts: 187
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:00 am
Location: Eastern Shore of Maryland USA

Re: You Learn Something New Every Day...

Postby Sister Jennifer » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:48 pm

The secret life of office teaspoons, shopping trolleys & wire coat hangers.

That old bear is really sweet.

Hangry, one of my new favourite words.

Image
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
User avatar
Sister Jennifer
Member
 
Posts: 2663
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:08 am
Location: Australia

Re: You Learn Something New Every Day...

Postby hnorwood » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:27 pm

Tonyblack wrote:It's my belief that the teaspoons are recycled into the wire coat hangers that seem to magically appear in your wardrobe. ;)

That reminds me of a SF story (short(ish)) where the writer gets the suspicion that certain objects made of metal morph from one thing to another getting progressively bigger - I think they start as paper clips and end as bicycles. Someone gets killed by a bike at one point. Darn - this is going to bother me now until I've found it. Pretty sure it's on my bookshelves somewhere...
Huge Neuroid

Angst-Lesspork
User avatar
hnorwood
Member
 
Posts: 373
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:09 pm
Location: Leeds, W Yorks

Re: You Learn Something New Every Day...

Postby =Tamar » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:06 am

hnorwood wrote:
Tonyblack wrote:It's my belief that the teaspoons are recycled into the wire coat hangers that seem to magically appear in your wardrobe. ;)

That reminds me of a SF story (short(ish)) where the writer gets the suspicion that certain objects made of metal morph from one thing to another getting progressively bigger - I think they start as paper clips and end as bicycles. Someone gets killed by a bike at one point. Darn - this is going to bother me now until I've found it. Pretty sure it's on my bookshelves somewhere...

It's by Avram Davidson. "Or All the Seas with Oysters", 1958. Won a Hugo Award for short fiction.
=Tamar
Member
 
Posts: 659
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 1:16 am

Re: You Learn Something New Every Day...

Postby Catch-up » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:12 pm

Sister Jennifer wrote:The secret life of office teaspoons, shopping trolleys & wire coat hangers.

That old bear is really sweet.

Hangry, one of my new favourite words.

Image


Now I have the appropriate word for that feeling. Thank you!
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
User avatar
Catch-up
Member
 
Posts: 6971
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:19 am
Location: Michigan, U.S.A.

Re: You Learn Something New Every Day...

Postby hnorwood » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:48 pm

=Tamar wrote:It's by Avram Davidson. "Or All the Seas with Oysters", 1958. Won a Hugo Award for short fiction.

Great - many thanks! - I've got my Penguin anthology "The Hugo Winners" off my shelf and have scheduled some quality time re-reading them.
Huge Neuroid

Angst-Lesspork
User avatar
hnorwood
Member
 
Posts: 373
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:09 pm
Location: Leeds, W Yorks

Re: You Learn Something New Every Day...

Postby hnorwood » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:06 am

I think my desk calendar is having a joke on me... Apparently today is "Clean your refrigerator day"
:shock:
Huge Neuroid

Angst-Lesspork
User avatar
hnorwood
Member
 
Posts: 373
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:09 pm
Location: Leeds, W Yorks

Re: You Learn Something New Every Day...

Postby Fragus » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:32 am

hnorwood wrote:I think my desk calendar is having a joke on me... Apparently today is "Clean your refrigerator day"
:shock:


Don't believe the desk calendar, they are all in cahoots with refrigerators. Also the fridge is well known dream destroyer, giving you hope that it contains shelves of happiness, only to give you a sigh and hung shoulders once you have peered within. Leaving you uttering the commonly used words of, "Oh... nothing to eat...."!
Just because we can, doesn't mean we should........ "OOoo look big red shiny button" Click Click Click
User avatar
Fragus
Member
 
Posts: 70
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:00 pm
Location: Milton Keynes

Re: You Learn Something New Every Day...

Postby Mixa » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:42 pm

Hahaha! Very interesting posts!

About “Clean your refrigerator day”… Who knows? It may exist! Nowadays there are so many official days that I have the feeling 365 aren’t enough for those who assigns them. XD

Mx
The good judgement is in the little book
User avatar
Mixa
Member
 
Posts: 157
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:46 pm
Location: Barcelona, Catalonia

Re: You Learn Something New Every Day...

Postby hnorwood » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:37 pm

Mixa wrote:About “Clean your refrigerator day”… Who knows? It may exist! Nowadays there are so many official days that I have the feeling 365 aren’t enough for those who assigns them. XD

Mx


very much like Saints days.... :)
Huge Neuroid

Angst-Lesspork
User avatar
hnorwood
Member
 
Posts: 373
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:09 pm
Location: Leeds, W Yorks

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests