PC Issues

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: PC Issues

Postby mirandashell » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:01 am

I'll pass that on to IT, Dug. Hopefully they worked that out for themselves.
I wish I was a glow worm. A glow worm's never glum. Cos how can you be grumpy when the sun shines out your bum?
mirandashell

Postby Batty » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:25 pm

Where do I start?
At the end of February our main computer started wheezing and whistling loudly, and at the beginning of March we lost the broadband connection.
Being totally fed up with AOL and even more so with their customer service, we decided to change provider and settled on BT as we already have our phone line with them.
BT said that they could install the modem and YouView box towards the end of March, so we bought a 30 day Internet dongle to tide us over, but it still wouldn't work on the main (wired) computer.
As the scanner and printer are connected to the main computer it meant that anything we wanted printed off involved us saving the item to a memory stick and transferring it to the main computer, which was a pain, but we consoled ourselves with the knowledge that soon our broadband speed would greatly increase and we would have an all-singing, all-dancing internet connection!
Unfortunately, when the BT engineer set up the Infinity, the main computer still would not connect to the Internet, and he told us that he doesn't know anything about computers and that we'd have to get a computer expert in to sort out the problem.
Sure enough, we got a nice chap from the local independent computer shop around, and he found that AOL has run a program blocking our computer from recognizing any other broadband provider, and all he could do was try to uninstall and delete every last trace of aol that he could find.
It took him an hour, but last Friday we finally got the access back, only to lose it again on Saturday when we tried to download / upload (I don't know the difference) the BT toolbar.
Once again, we found that aol had hidden itself amongst the exceptions in the add-ons and had blocked the internet access.
Yesterday the same chap came back and couldn't fix the problem (so he never charged us anything as he hadn't solved the problem) and declared that we needed a new hard drive and as Microsoft was no longer supporting Windows XP, we would need Windows 7 instead.
We took the hard drive to the computer shop today so that they could transfer all the documents and stuff over, and had a phone call to collect the computer this afternoon.
We now have Internet access! Yay! Unfortunately, the scanner is not recognized by windows 7 as it is pretty antiquated and no matter what I try, I cannot download any program from HP as it's warranty has expired & it isn't supported by windows 7 ... Grrr!
I haven't even tried to see if the printer works - but I've had that for years as well.

... I need some chocolate!!! :cry:
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:28 pm

Try Googling the name and make of the scanner along with"drivers" and see if there's anything online you can download.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Batty » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:39 pm

I was trying for an hour and finally managed to partly download the thing, but can't complete the download because something called Twain is wrong.
No idea what as it's all computer jargon to me, butI may try again tomorrow. I've had enough of it today! :cry:
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:22 pm

Batty, Twain is a term used which enables your PC to talk to your scanner along a bi - directional cable, you will need updated drivers or you could try this uninstall your scanner software then let windows find a generic driver, if that does not work reinstall your software first then reconnect your scanner.
plus if you have CCleaner installed run it, and select unistall tab check the list if AOL appears click uninstall then run registry cleaner as that is where that piece of crap is hiding shut down leave it a minute then restart then run the registry cleaner again.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Batty » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:12 am

Thanks, Dug.
As we bought a newly refurbished computer with an uninfected new hard drive, AOL has now now been confined to the dustbin of doom - or so I hope!
The computer shop we went to transferred our programs and documents over for us as well, so I'm hopeful that aol hasn't hitched a lift, although the first thing I did this morning was run AVG which deleted some malware lurking in the background. The whole thing cost us £180, which is cheaper than I thought it'd cost.

Our printer works! Phew! and I did manage to download a scanjet driver for Vista, and even though I have Windows 7, it seems to have at least worked to the point that I can now scan documents - although I no longer have a choice as to whether I am scanning a photo or a document, and I wasn't given a preview scan option.
Batty

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:05 pm

Batty download and install this http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download ,it's free and very good download from File Hippo or Piriform they're the same company chose the free version.

Also do a search for AOL on your hard disk to see if there are any links in the registary as its possible they may have migrated in the transfer just to be sure. I also use this one which I find useful as no one programme finds everything.http://www.bluesprig.com/jetclean.html :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby ChristianBecker » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:48 pm

You missed the chance to ditch windows altogether. :/ At least you got Win 7, which is quite OK and not Win 8, which I consider a catastrophe.
I'm not a huge fan of CCleaner myself, but if Dug gets good mileage out of it, give it a try.
Didn't know AOL even existed anymore - but they've always (well, used AOL in 2001 for the last time) been installing a huge package of software on computers and leaving a mess. Blocking competitors (or so it seems) is a bit nastier than I'd've expected from them.
Congratulations on a now working broadband and printer/ scanner.
HP scanners and printers do work well with Linux btw.
On with their heads! I'm the clown prince of fools
if you don't get the joke it's your loss
Love and laughter you see are the new currency
'cause greed's coinage is not worth a toss

Exile yourself to the unforgiving continent of Wraeclast!
ChristianBecker

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:05 pm

CB I've never heard a bad word said against it, but I run XP on my desktop so it may not be much good at running on a linux system like yours, and I run it on my windows 7 laptop but I'm not that keen on Win7 don't want think about Win 8 touchscreen on a desktop hassle springs to mind. :roll:
Who's Wee Dug

Postby ChristianBecker » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:04 am

Yeah, of course CCleaner is of no use whatsoever on a Linux system. There's no registry to clean, for one thing. No, the reason I don't like it is that it is recommended so often and many people just install it and mindlessly use it.
I think I mainly dislike it because my father uses it (my father is not the actual reason here) and using his computer (now with Win 8, what joy is to be had :() makes me want to either shoot it or myself. It's really sad. He's one of those mindles "OK" button pushers when it comes to computers. Messes it up with a plethora of "toolbars" some programmes want to install and other stuff.
At my mother's it was the same. Now, my mother did NOT have anything much on her computer, it was just painfully slow by default. But my sister, who's not exactly a computer expert installed CCleaner in order to help her. Didn't help, since there was nothing to be helped. It was just a rather mediocre computer to start with further slowed down by an incredibly slow HDD and Windows Vista.
So my not being fond of CCleaner is actually more of a prejudice than anything else.
On with their heads! I'm the clown prince of fools
if you don't get the joke it's your loss
Love and laughter you see are the new currency
'cause greed's coinage is not worth a toss

Exile yourself to the unforgiving continent of Wraeclast!
ChristianBecker

Postby Bickaxe » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:08 pm

I've used CCleaner in the past and found it pretty useful. Not only that, but I use Windows 8(.1) too. I only install what I need though (Every Steam game possible) and avoid bloatware wherever possible.

I am a gamer though so I built my system for speed and pretty pretty colours so no hang ups at all. From switch on to ready to use desktop in under 12 seconds

And Windows 8 has a desktop alternative which is very similar to Win 7. The Start screen is like a fully interactive Start button but mine boots straight into the standard desktop. The touch screen features are only active if you have a touch screen. And that would be a waste of a fantastic mechanical keyboard :D
Fiendish til the en-
:twisted:
Bickaxe

Postby hnorwood » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:58 pm

I don't want to styart a new thread and it is a sort of PC issue...

Is there anyone on this forum who is a member of the brassgoggles forum? If so, could you please PM me?
Many thanks
Huge Neuroid

Angst-Lesspork
hnorwood

Previous

Return to The Broken Drum