PC Issues

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: PC Issues

Postby pip » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:57 pm

ITs part of the evil Murdoch empire
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby hnorwood » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:15 pm

The great Linux migration is coming together.
I use Thunderbird for my email and transferring to Linux was just a case of copying the folder across and then pointing Thunderbird/Linux to it and it all worked.... :)

The Webcam mic is now working. No I don't understand that one...

My printer sits on a small print server box; although I can get Linux to see both the server and the printer, it won't print... :(
Huge Neuroid

Angst-Lesspork
hnorwood

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:43 pm

Have you checked the printer software to check the drivers are compatable with you're Linux version if so, that it's not in pause mode.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby hnorwood » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:49 pm

The printer works fine if I plug it into a USB port on the PC. (Apart from I can't get it to print in "fast" mode - to save ink)
Huge Neuroid

Angst-Lesspork
hnorwood

Postby hnorwood » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:02 pm

M$ have issued an update to XP that pops up a windows to remind you that support ends on 8 April. How kind!
(Of course, you don't need to install the "update")

Meanwhile on the Linux front, I have found (with my son's help) a useable ftp client and installed it - I can carry on maintaining a couple of web sites.

Found a slightly better printer driver for the printer but still it won't work through the print server box...
Huge Neuroid

Angst-Lesspork
hnorwood

Postby raptornx01 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:13 pm

Yeah, apparently that XP thing is becoming a big deal. as something like 300 million people still use it, include most ATMs, banks, government computers. etc. once their support stops, it's only a matter of time before holes open up. There's also been talk that there are already holes that can be exploited, but people have been sitting on it knowing if they act it'll get patched so they are waiting out the clock.

what annoys me are the people complaining about people being upset over it. like "I have no sympathy for someone too cheap to update" and similar things. and I'm like, besides the fact that it could be damned expensive to upgrade an entire systems computers (which in many cases would have to be hardware as well as software) there is also the fact that, alot of the time, you don't NEED to. if you have a comp that has one job, and it does that job well and thats all it ever does, and all it will do for the next decade or more, why do you need to upgrade to the latest and greatest system?

It's the same mentality as people who berate others for having an old phone, or old car, or old clothes. if the thing works, why do you need to replace it? if the phone lets you call, if the car still runs fine, if the clothes aren't stained and don't have holes, etc, why waste the money?
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Bickaxe » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:47 pm

Completely agree. I had some fun poked at me for my old Motorola RAZR but it worked. I don't need an all singing and dancing phone (even though I have one now as the RAZR battery stopped charging).

Being somewhat prone to controversy (I know, innocent little me, whodathunk?) I like Windows 8 (.1). Its smooth and responsive. I can't play one of my favourite games ever though but I'm willing to over-look that. Never used Linux being a gamer but with a ton more support now and in the future, especially from Steam, I may make the switch for my next build.
Fiendish til the en-
:twisted:
Bickaxe

Postby mirandashell » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:02 pm

Are there any Excel 2007 experts here?
I wish I was a glow worm. A glow worm's never glum. Cos how can you be grumpy when the sun shines out your bum?
mirandashell

Postby janet » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:13 pm

I see it as MS just wanting to get us to update so they can claim some kind of kudos but I'm with you guys in the 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' camp. I bought this ancient PC about 5 years ago, used and refurished professionally, for £100 delivered and plumbed in. It came with XP. I've had many moments with it and it's very slow BUT IT STILL WORKS and does what I want it to do (mostly) including watching the odd TV prog or film on iPlayer. At this moment there is more chance of Satan skating to work than there is of my being able to afford to upgrade since it would mean replacing my computer and I don't even have a spare ten quid :( Folks who want the latest of everything? More money than sense! We'll still be here when they're all up to their eyes in debt and panic.
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby =Tamar » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:23 pm

janet wrote:I see it as MS just wanting to get us to update so they can claim some kind of kudos

I think it's more to get money. If they cared about kudos they'd write a decent program. They just told everybody about the major security flaw they built into MsWord's RTF reader that they've known about for roughly 15 years, and their "fix" is to disable the RTF reader which many people depend on for free filesharing.

janet wrote:I bought this ancient PC about 5 years ago, used and refurbished professionally (snip) At this moment there is more chance of Satan skating to work than there is of my being able to afford to upgrade since it would mean replacing my computer and I don't even have a spare ten quid.

Linux is free. I've been using Linux Ubuntu on a laptop since my old XP computer died. It does everything I ever used Windows for (I don't do gaming). The security and other upgrades are almost daily and have never caused me trouble yet, and did I mention it's free?

The very latest version of Ubuntu won't run on a really old laptop I still have, but some earlier versions are still available that will run on it, and there are special tinyUbuntu versions that will even run on a tablet. If you have the ability to burn a CD (if you can't, maybe ask a friend?), I recommend that you burn an installation CD of Ubuntu. (Ubuntu will run on a thumb drive, so if you have a USB port but no CD reader, it's still possible to get it.) Then if your old XP program dies on you, you can install Ubuntu without having to go on the net. Ideally you'd get more than one version, so you could try different ones to find one that will work for you. It's a lot faster to install than Windows, so it's far less of a hassle to experiment.
=Tamar

Postby janet » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:34 pm

Sounds promising =tamar. I have USB ports and can burn CDs and, yes, Windows updates take ages. I'll have a look to see what is available to me (not forgetting that highspeed broadband is still a spectre of the future where I live)
Thanks for your suggestions :D
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby ChristianBecker » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:24 pm

mirandashell wrote:Are there any Excel 2007 experts here?

I wouldn't say expert, but I can try to help. I even have access to a computer with Excel 2007 on so I can try stuff out if need be.
Ask away.

Also, who'd've thought there are so relatively many people here using Linux.
On with their heads! I'm the clown prince of fools
if you don't get the joke it's your loss
Love and laughter you see are the new currency
'cause greed's coinage is not worth a toss

Exile yourself to the unforgiving continent of Wraeclast!
ChristianBecker

Postby mirandashell » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:44 pm

Well, I have a problem with a spreadsheet. It's not that big. And I use it a lot. But today whenever I try to delete any rows or columns I get a pop-up message that Excel doesn't have enough resource. So I should close all other applications. I've put the message into Google and gone through all the steps they recommend. But none of it works. Have you seen that before?
I wish I was a glow worm. A glow worm's never glum. Cos how can you be grumpy when the sun shines out your bum?
mirandashell

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:30 pm

Mir try a defrag on your system, if you don't know how to do that:To open Disk Defragmenter, click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Disk Defragmenter that might take a little while if it has never been done before, that will will arrange all your most used files at the front of your hard disk at make the system a bit faster, use a good cleaning program like CC cleaner get rid of all the junk files and broken links it free and easy to use: http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download use File Hippo or Piriform they both the same company. If you still have problems let me know as there is another which cleans out your memory and optimises it. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby mirandashell » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:53 pm

Ah I'm sorry Dug, I should have said. The spreadsheet is on a network not on my C drive. It's actually at work and I'm asking here cos it's got IT utterly stumped as to what to do with it.
mirandashell

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum