Meeting Sir Terry...

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Meeting Sir Terry...

Postby feanor » Tue May 26, 2009 8:56 pm

Ayup All...

(I put the Sir in, as I respect his honour, so, here goes...)

I'm NOT a DW Con type person. I've seen the pictures elsewhere, and i'm glad you all had a blast, but what i want to know is what's Pterry like? is he someone you can have a quiet word with in a corner, or is he always with 'minders', or being chased and harassed by a group of DW Characters? and the event staff... Does he mind being doorstepped, or will he rush off? and has his previous demeanour been changed by his Illness?

I'll enjoy reading your stories ...
I'm glad that all my problems have now Resolved down to where my next Banana is coming from...
feanor

Postby Tonyblack » Tue May 26, 2009 10:56 pm

He's very friendly indeed as long as you give him space. At conventions he sometimes wears a name badge (not his name) and that means he's not wanting to be disturbed.

At Clarecraft in 2005 he was sitting in a corner with his laptop and a friend of mine approached him and asked if he had a moment to spare. He looked up and said: "Well I'm at this moment writing my next book. If you really want me to stop, then go ahead." My friend blushed and said she'd talk to him later.

Terry likes to mingle with his fans and it's usually better to let him approach you. I remember him joining us all for bacon butties and a cup of tea one morning at Clarecraft and I also remember a bunch of us chatting to him about national anthems - the promptly started singing the Ankh-Morpork national anthem. :lol:

If you go to a signing, then try to think of something original to say. He may well get into a conversation with you if you do. :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue May 26, 2009 11:07 pm

I have found him friendly and approachable at cons and such like but like everyone else he needs some space. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby NightOwl » Tue May 26, 2009 11:32 pm

It was many years ago that I met him - I'd not long been reading his books - late 1980s - the book signing was at a small independent book-shop where I used to go and chat to the staff if bored of a lunchtime. I was excited that TP was doing a signing - only prob was that there must have only been about 10 people the whole time I was there. as it was only the staff, TP and me, I was able to spend some time in his company, discussing where he got ideas from and the names - he kindly signed a few of my books and also one for my b-stard of an ungrateful colleague - name of Mort - who didn't appear to understand the honour of TP endorsing a book for him (at my expense).

he didn't seem overly disappointed at the poor turn-out, although 20 years or so ago, he wasn't the household name he later became.
All the World's a Stage
NightOwl

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed May 27, 2009 5:28 pm

I'd be tongue tied if I met him. The man is a god.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Dotsie » Thu May 28, 2009 9:01 am

When was at DWCon 2006, I asked someone to step out of the way for me to take a picture of a banner, and when said gent turned around.... it was Terry. Wanting to appear sophisticated, intelligent and well-read, I said "Erk! HahahahahahahaHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"

I think he was impressed :roll:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Bickaxe » Thu May 28, 2009 10:59 am

I've found he's very approachable but all I do is stand there with my mouth open in awe. I have noticed he is constantly talked at by the same people a lot of the time though......

I prefer to let him do what he wants rather than ask endless questions, I'm sure the answers will turn up eventually.
Fiendish til the en-
:twisted:
Bickaxe

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu May 28, 2009 2:30 pm

Dotsie wrote:When was at DWCon 2006, I asked someone to step out of the way for me to take a picture of a banner, and when said gent turned around.... it was Terry. Wanting to appear sophisticated, intelligent and well-read, I said "Erk! HahahahahahahaHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"

I think he was impressed :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby superfurryandy » Thu May 28, 2009 11:11 pm

I'm an advocate of the 'let him be' philosophy - at the first big Spaced convention (only 50-60 people, but big to us) Simon Pegg was spotted coming into the pub and virtually everyone crowded round the top of the stairs as he came up them - I stood back and eventually he came over to me and we had a wee chat.
superfurryandy

Postby Omnia » Fri May 29, 2009 4:43 pm

I have always found pTerry to be a lovely, generous person, who is always happy to speak to his fans ~ it's highly unlikely that he'll completly blank you at a book signing for example. The first time I ever met pTerry I wanted to ask him a really cool question that I thought he would have been unlikely to have been asked before. I asked him if he'd ever studied philosophy :oops: He replied that no, he would just sit down and think about things.

I attended my first dw convention last year and, seeing that he was talking to people and posing for photos I asked if he'd pose for me ~ I was sooooo nervous that I did blather on abit :oops: But he stood with me ~ and my mate took the photo :D

Also at the convention, I nearly walked straight into him as I was walking through a packed hall. I said 'alright' and he looked abit worried ~ I don't think he wanted to be accosted, but I was embarressed and hurried off anyway (thus, leave pTerry alone if it would appear that he's planning on doing something else :lol:)

The last time I went to a signing, pTerry said that he liked my wet-look leather jacket :oops: :D (we'd been queueing in the drizzling rain for ages.)
Omnia

Postby Tonyblack » Fri May 29, 2009 5:00 pm

Ah ha! I see you made it Omnia. :wink:

Great to see you and welcome to the site! :D
Tonyblack

Postby Omnia » Fri May 29, 2009 5:17 pm

Thanks Tony :D It would seem that, for now I'll only be here on the occasional Friday though :roll:
Doth not a penny to the widow outshine the unconquered sun

AKA g'nomi :-)
Omnia

Postby Tonyblack » Fri May 29, 2009 5:24 pm

Omnia wrote:Thanks Tony :D It would seem that, for now I'll only be here on the occasional Friday though :roll:
That's a real shame! :(

Maybe you could mention to the folk at the library that you are having problems (although, from experience of using library computers, this will make no difference whatsoever). :roll:
Tonyblack

Postby chris.ph » Fri May 29, 2009 5:53 pm

welcome to the site omnia :)
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri May 29, 2009 10:06 pm

Welcome to the forum Omnia,have you registered for next years Con it's at the same place. :) :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Next

Return to The Broken Drum