Congratulations on Terry Pratchett's honorary degree

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Congratulations on Terry Pratchett's honorary degree

Postby Katblossom » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:25 pm

His degree was as far as I can remember for public services but probably for his work with Alzhiemers charities. Rob Wilikins read out the speech which was very good. He said he was halfway through writing another book. We had no idea but I was with my brothers wife and she pointed it out in the program but it said the speech would be read out so we thought "aw, if only" an didn't think he would actually be there. I've got a photo of my brother getting his certificate and Terry Pratchett looking not that interested behind him. Lol I can't believe it, utterly bonkers. Very nice surprise. My brother likes him too but said he could only concentrate on shaking the hand of the man giving his award and walking off. There were loads of people there.
Katblossom

Re: Congratulations on Terry Pratchett's honorary degree

Postby The Mad Collector » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:50 am

According to the Open University

The Open University’s Charter includes provision for the Senate to award the Honorary Degrees of Doctor of the University and Master of the University. Individuals are nominated for these distinctions by members of the University and these are recommended to the Senate by the Honorary Degrees Committee, which is chaired by the Vice- Chancellor.
There are eight broad criteria within which nominations can be considered. These are:
• Services to the University
• Services to the educationally underprivileged
• Work in areas of special educational concern to the University
• Academic and scholarly distinction
• Public services
• Services to the arts and sciences
• Exceptional contribution to education and culture
• Exceptionally innovative and socially responsible business developments

Later on in the document they confirm that Sir Terry was made a Doctor of the University for Public Services
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Previous

Return to The Broken Drum