Offensive? Asda/Tesco - Halloween "Mental Patient" costumes!

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Offensive? Asda/Tesco - Halloween "Mental Patient" costu

Postby raptornx01 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:35 am

I see what you mean. I was speaking in more general terms, but I understand about those certain people. and agree that intent is a valid point.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:49 am

Dotsie & Catch-up - I definitely agree with the 'it's not what you say but the way that you say it' argument. :mrgreen:

With this it's the marketing speak that's flawed. The actual articles are obviously intended for the bad taste dress up market and encompass the 'insane' element of the festival (as in the horror movie 'icons' such as Jason Vorhees or Michael Myers). As someone with chronic clinical depression, borderline bi-polar and anxiety issues I don't feel I've been targeted for ridicule since I live a 'normal' life and have never been hospitalised, nor have I gone on a violent rampage anywhere, despite often being tempted to lose control in that way. The actual costumes are no worse than dressing up as Hrun or Cohen the Barbarians or other violent types like Batman and Spiderman or even Slim Shady - it's a 'fun' thing with a twist and being blown out of proportion in a 'holier than thou' manner that can been seen as overly condescending in PC terms, which is itself offensive in some measure. :snooty:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Katblossom » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:40 pm

I can see what you mean by intent - people were not intending to cause offence, I believe that but there's also something to be said about awareness. Everyone of us has told a joke or said something that at the time we thought was funny but may have been offensive to somebody we don't (or possibly we do) know. It happens.
However, there is still lot of stigma and ignorance about the mentally ill, especially those in mental health hospitals that these costumes existence highlights. The orange one is ridiculous and but the one that says mental patient is offensive in my opinion.
But of course, its all about perspective.
Katblossom

Previous

Return to The Broken Drum