Introvert/Extrovert

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Introvert/Extrovert

Postby Penfold » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:30 am

I guess that I am extroverted due to my job and feel comfortable in most social situations. However, I am at my happiest when on my own out in the country away from everyone. In fact, if I start meeting more than three people an hour when out walking I start looking at my map for an alternative, quieter alternative to walk to my destination. :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

Len Brook Photography
Penfold

Postby Dotsie » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:48 am

Like most people on here, I like both. But the social thing has to be friends, if I'm at a conference and don't know anyone I'll just mooch around and look at the posters. I wouldn't willingly go to any other event where I don't know anyone (although I managed DWCon, but then you only don't know anyone once ;) )

Giving lectures and public speaking doesn't bother me though.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Catch-up » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:54 am

Just the idea of public speaking, or getting up in front of people for any reason, makes me feel like I'm going to hyperventilate!
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby michelanCello » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:04 pm

Catch-up wrote:Just the idea of public speaking, or getting up in front of people for any reason, makes me feel like I'm going to hyperventilate!

Me too, only difference is I really start hyperventillating :P
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby Catch-up » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:31 pm

Well, I actually hyperventilate if I think it's going to go beyond thinking about it. :oops:
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
Catch-up

Postby The Mad Collector » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:43 am

I'm an introvert who can be quite good at pretending to be extrovert when I need to, it's quite difficult to be an introverted salesman :roll: however I'm happiest sitting with a book or listening to music.
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Catch-up » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:13 pm

It's much easier to overcome it to sell something you really love though. :D
Catch-up

Postby Katblossom » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:26 pm

Oh public speaking, aargh, it's not like it's mortal peril so it's funny most people find it such a scary activity. Not something I enjoy. At my work they're currently advertising for trainers in things like manual handling. Anyone that can make people interested in a subject as dull as that is to be admired!
Katblossom

Postby KnightOfFewWords » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:54 pm

Catch-up wrote:Just saw this quote in an article and it got me thinking:

If you're an extrovert, you get your energy from interacting with other people. If you're an introvert, you get your energy by recharging with some alone time.

Sounds like a pretty good definition to me, and describes me quite well. I can be sociable, although I prefer smallish groups where I know most people present, but I need time to recharge afterwards.
KnightOfFewWords

Postby phalarope » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:36 am

I really need alone time to recharge.

Dotsie wrote: the social thing has to be friends, if I'm at a conference and don't know anyone I'll just mooch around and look at the posters. I wouldn't willingly go to any other event where I don't know anyone (although I managed DWCon, but then you only don't know anyone once ;) )

Giving lectures and public speaking doesn't bother me though.

What Dotsie said. And the thing about DWCons is that you automatically have something in common with everyone else there, so starting a conversation is pretty easy with a stranger, and then you aren't strangers anymore.
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.'
-- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips
phalarope

Postby simmonds91 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:55 pm

"yo momma so introvert she be the possible future of Edward D'eath" burn!
Well, you know what they say. The past is a foreign country - - With an outdated military and huge oil reserves!
simmonds91

Postby Catch-up » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:02 pm

phalarope wrote:What Dotsie said. And the thing about DWCons is that you automatically have something in common with everyone else there, so starting a conversation is pretty easy with a stranger, and then you aren't strangers anymore.

So true. :D
Catch-up

Postby Hernandez82 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:24 pm

Sometimes it's hard to understand who you are but once you meet a REAL extrovert, you get your ideas straight! I met one some time ago and this dude never stops talking and even 1 stay at home evening seems to be a torture for him.
Hernandez82

Postby michelanCello » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:11 am

Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Previous

Return to The Broken Drum