Introvert/Extrovert

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Introvert/Extrovert

Postby Catch-up » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:03 pm

Just saw this quote in an article and it got me thinking:

If you're an extrovert, you get your energy from interacting with other people. If you're an introvert, you get your energy by recharging with some alone time.

I thought that was interesting. The second sentence definitely applies to me. I don't define myself as one or the other, but I probably have more introverted traits than extroverted ones. I don't avoid social situations, but don't really seek them out much either. One other quote was:

Introverts hate small talk.

That is definitely not me! I can't seem to get people to make small talk. I don't want to have a deep and meaningful conversation when I run into you at the grocery store and my ice cream is melting.

Anyway! Just thought those were interesting. Do you define yourself as an introvert, an extrovert, neither?
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Re: Introvert/Extrovert

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:28 pm

I'm an introvert without a doubt. I do not enjoy social situations and prefer to avoid interaction with other people face to face. However, I do find I can be a lot more outgoing in online situations. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby hnorwood » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:34 pm

How do you tell the difference between an introverted and an extroverted Programmer?

The extrovert will look at your shoes when he speaks to you!

:)
Huge Neuroid

Angst-Lesspork
hnorwood

Postby ChristianBecker » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:58 pm

Introvert here.
I don't seek out social interaction and if there is nothing to talk about, then so be it. I hate small talk.
On occasion, however, I do like nonsense talk with a good friend. So not a really deep conversation but something interesting and funny, like explaining something in a totally crazy yet, somehow, plausible way.

Shouldn't the bolded part in your joke be "at your shoes", hnorwood?
On with their heads! I'm the clown prince of fools
if you don't get the joke it's your loss
Love and laughter you see are the new currency
'cause greed's coinage is not worth a toss

Exile yourself to the unforgiving continent of Wraeclast!
ChristianBecker

Postby michelanCello » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:28 pm

I don't think I'm either, but if I had to choose it's rather introvert... I prefer sitting quietly at home to wild parties and evenings out.
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby chris.ph » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:37 pm

loud extrovert :dance: :dance:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:08 pm

As above Image though maybe not quite as loud, and a lot of people born in my birth month tend to be more of an extrovert nature. :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Catch-up » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:05 pm

I also don't think I'm either. I don't avoid social situations, but I don't necessarily seek them out either. If I'm at a party or with a group of people, I don't have a problem introducing myself and chatting. When I have free time during the day I always think about what I need/want to do and usually do it on my own, I don't usually think to do most things with someone else. I had a friend once who couldn't stand going anywhere by herself. She would want me to go to the grocery store and the DMV with her. I don't even want to do them when I need to, let alone for someone else!
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
Catch-up

Postby Catch-up » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:06 pm

Meant to add that I really do enjoy getting together with friends when I can.
Catch-up

Postby Ghost » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:11 pm

Introvert I'm hard of hearing so I find social situations difficult at best and stressful at worst
but given the right incentive I can be pursued to step outside of my shell for short periods of time :D
Ghost

Postby hnorwood » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:33 pm

ChristianBecker wrote:Introvert here.

It is because the introvert programmer looks at his own shoes when he speaks to you.

And I realise that a) I am stereotyping programmers as male and b) it was a pretty tasteless joke anyway!
(I should stick to Physicist jokes)
Huge Neuroid

Angst-Lesspork
hnorwood

Postby Toothy » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:14 pm

Oooh, this is Myers Briggs type stuff. :D I'm extrovert and verbalise what I'm thinking as a preference. Occasionally engaging brain before mouth may have avoided a few classic moments in the past, however... I can do small talk when I need to but can find it hard going after a while. I also have (fewer) moments when the introvert takes over and I need my space to chill and have quiet 'me' time and woe betide anyone stopping that from happening...! ;)

Now.. if we were to go into OCD space... :shock: Mmmm. Let's maybe not go there. :lol:
If all is not lost, then where is it?
Toothy

Postby Catch-up » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:42 pm

So familiar with the engaging mouth before brain moments. :oops:

Another characteristic of an introvert is supposed to be getting really irritated when your personal time is interrupted. I can completely relate to that! And a common complaint is that introverts feel that extroverts are always trying to "fix" them, rather than accept them for who they are.

I think most of us have a little of both in us!
Catch-up

Postby Katblossom » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:31 pm

Interesting topic. I suppose I also veer towards introvert at times as I do need my alone time or time with just a few trusted ones as I can find some social situations tiring but it depends actually as on the other hand I do like to meet new people - just not always all at once!
Small talk is a very useful skill to oil the wheels of conversation to get to the more interesting stuff though, I must say.
Katblossom

Postby ChristianBecker » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:58 am

hnorwood wrote:
ChristianBecker wrote:Introvert here.

It is because the introvert programmer looks at his own shoes when he speaks to you.

And I realise that a) I am stereotyping programmers as male and b) it was a pretty tasteless joke anyway!
(I should stick to Physicist jokes)

Hm... I think there was a misunderstanding hear. I could swear that in the original version you bolded "shoes". I know the joke and did get it. Although the version I know has a mathematician instead of a programmer.
On with their heads! I'm the clown prince of fools
if you don't get the joke it's your loss
Love and laughter you see are the new currency
'cause greed's coinage is not worth a toss

Exile yourself to the unforgiving continent of Wraeclast!
ChristianBecker

Next

Return to The Broken Drum