irish Convention

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

irish Convention

Postby Ponder » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:48 am

Hey everyone! I've not been on here for a while and was wondering about the Irish convention this year. I've actually booked a room in the hotel that the convention is being held in in Limerick, but I've never been to a convention before and am thinking of skipping it...should I go? Is it worth the trip from Derry all the way to Limerick? Will alcohol be available??
Ponder

Re: irish Convention

Postby pip » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:01 pm

Limerick is generally worth avoiding in my opinion but the conventions can be great craic and there is a Bar in the hotel so worth the trip.
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:06 pm

Welcome back, Ponder. Like minded people in costumes who enjoy a drink - sounds like fun. :mrgreen:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Penfold » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:11 pm

I went alone to my first convention last year and had a great time, meeting a few people from this board and quite a few others. I spent a lot of the time attending the various lectures and entertainments so I would definitely recommend attending. :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:21 pm

You will have a great time, Terry is going to be there and it's not a large one, I would be going but clashes with the World Fantasycon in Brighton, from where you are to Limrick is just a walk in the park. ;) :lol:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Ponder » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:37 pm

Terry is going to be there??????
Ponder

Postby Dotsie » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:51 pm

This is the confirmed guest list. He's at the top of it :D
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:55 pm

He was guest of honour the last time as well, but cried off close to the date because of too much work (was finishing off The Long Earth at the time I think). This time however the Irish Con will co-incide with the publication of Raising Steam, so I expect he'll pull out all the stops to make this one unless his health deteriorates this time.

Also it should be the world premiere of the much awaited kickstart movie short Troll Bridge, which is scheduled as the finale on the Monday, so even if Terry doesn't make it the convention it ought to be great fun. I went to the last one with Meerkat (Bernard Pearson was guest of honour instead) and we had a great time, although it was at a different hotel in Ennistymon. This one is a Radisson Blu and near Shannon Airport but from the website looks to be of a similar standard (bar and restaurant-wise).

Because it's much smaller than the UK convention (I think membership is still open at 147, with a limit around 200?) you get to meet lots of people very quickly and easily and many of the organisers/game-runners are the same as for the UK one so the craic is indeed heady... (Chris Boote and Pat Harkin are involved as always) :P The only real drawback for people coming over from the UK mainland is that Shannon doesn't appear to have many flights (if at all) running during the winter but you can get over from Dublin Airport OK by train. :shifty:

This year the housemate's going to go with me provided that his scheduled surgery doesn't clash (we find out when that's likely to be next month :? ). Here's a link to the convention website for you ;)
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby alanso » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:17 pm

If I was at home it'd be top of my list of things to do! Regret not going lat year, even if himself didn't show.

Limerick get a (quite often deserved) bad rep, but it's not all bad. The first time I was down there I saw two young lads fighting in the middle of the 3 lane main road with golf clubs. Quite the introduction.

Since then I have been down there for a friends birthday. Had a great night. Went to a pub that encouraged the crowd to play a song (piano and guitar etc provided). We drunkenly obliged. (Was in a band, but still probably should have given it a miss).

As long as you figure out how to get there, you can just stay at the con for the most part if you're worried about Limerick scumbags
I write words about things I like @ http://www.gooddaysandcliches.com
alanso

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:22 pm

I've heard it to be referred as stab city, but with so much going on at the Con you would be hard pushed to want to leave the hotel much. :|
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:37 pm

The hotel's well outside of the city so far as I can tell (since it's close to the airport naturally).

We've managed to find a flight with Aer Arann from Bristol to Dublin (we live in the SW so everywhere past there's bumping the cost up) so the plan's to train it across to Shannon somehow - at least that means we won't have to go to Heathrow or Birmingham :? ). Last time it was touch and go getting a flight to Shannon itself from Bristol, but this year it looks like it's only Heathrow flights that go to Shannon from England, and not that often either :evil:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby pip » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:15 pm

Makesure you prebook the train. Its about four times cheaper if you do
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Ghost » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:21 pm

and break the journey down stop by stop
you'd be surprised how much you'd save booking like that
Ooh you cheeky little sea winkle
Ghost

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:35 pm

pip wrote:Makesure you prebook the train. Its about four times cheaper if you do

Yeah - we saw that thanks Pip. :) It was still too early to book for November last time we looked and now we have to wait to see whether Pete will get a surgery date before then as he won't be able to fly if it's done before the convention. :|
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Ponder » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:48 am

Where do I register for the convention?
Ponder

Next

Return to The Broken Drum