Signed Items...

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Signed Items...

Postby Quatermass » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:12 am

This is not a thread to brag about signed collectables.

...Okay, maybe it is, but it's also something else. I am curious as to what people here think about signed items. Buying a signature at a convention is all very well, but what about buying signed items? Particularly pre-owned ones, or signed certificates?

My opinion on this matter is that I would prefer to get an item signed and customised to myself, rather than go out of my way to buy a signed item, especially if it either costs more than a standard edition, or else is second-hand, or is one of those signature frames.

Why? Sentiment. If you have someone sign a book or a DVD cover, you're doing it because this is a favourite item signed by a favourite actor or writer or whatever. That's why, when I go to signings or conventions, I choose the items I want signed with care, and it's sometimes quite the dilemma.

Okay, I'll hold off on listing my signed collectables until a few posts.
All you need to understand
Is everything you know is wrong!

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Re: Signed Items...

Postby The Mad Collector » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:21 am

I don't go out of my way to get signed items and rarely buy on the secondary market as I prefer to have them signed in front of me. There are so many fakes that frankly collecting signatures when you haven't seen the item being signed is a mugs game. I do have some fun signed items though so I will dig out a few for this thread in the next couple of days.
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Conforumist » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:27 am

I bought a hardcore RA Salvatore book, which was signed. Terry Brooks came to Halifax in '09. I went to see him and had him sign 2 of my books. He was pretty cool. In fact, it was the highlight of my year. He signed as many books as people brought; hardcover, softcover, it didn't matter.
I found his last few books not very good at all though.
The greatest things in life are not things.
Conforumist

Postby janet » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:44 am

I have a few signed CDs, all bought at gigs from the musicians and generally personalised. They're nice things to have and memories of great live music flood back every time i get them out to listen to.
I've a few signed books too and each one has its own set of memories attached.
I queued only once for a book signing by GP (Graham) Taylor who had just given an excellent talk to a hot roomful of people/roomful of hot people of whom I'd been one! A memento of a highly enjoyable weekend full of fun and friendship.
It doesn't worry me if these items are of no worth to anyone else. They're my memories :D
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:48 am

I have at least one signed Pratchett book. I got him to sign a copy of Hat Full of Sky for Sharlene as it's a special book to us. The other books I've got signed have been by writer friends of ours, generally with very sweet and personal messages. They aren't books I'd ever think of selling anyhow.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:14 pm

Quite a few by various Authors at signings & Cons a lot of them personalized with an inscription.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Sister Jennifer » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:01 pm

I have a signed copy of The Pratchett Portfolio which is verra special.

My daughter got a Paul McGann signed Dr Who poster from the Lords of Time expo in Brisbane recently. Whenever that was Q? She's extremely chuffed about it & has pride of place among her Dr Who stuff.

I don't really care about signed items. In saying that, it's whatever life opportunities comes your way that counts.
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby Ghost » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:57 pm

I try to get double signatures for instance if there is a book with two writers or one writer and one artist
I try to get both their signatures on it for instance I have first edition copies of both Last hero and The Art of Discworld
and a reprint of The Pratchett portfolio with both Terry's and Kidby's signatures
and you have no idea how many years it took me to get a early copy of Are you Dave Gorman signed by Dave and Danny
but I try not to buy pre-signed items but I have made exceptions when I feel like I'll never meet the author in person but in those exceptions I buy directly from author through email exchange
Ooh you cheeky little sea winkle
Ghost

Postby Watchman44 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:12 pm

I only have one signed item but it does have 2 signatures.........

And here are Terry and Stephen signing it for me at the Discword Jamboree 2007.......

Last edited by Watchman44 on Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Who watches the watchman.......
FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC
Watchman44

Postby Ghost » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:14 pm

thats cool
Ghost

Postby janet » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:40 pm

very 8-)
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby Catch-up » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:02 pm

I've been to a couple of Sir Terry signings and I'll always treasure those books. Not interested in just buying a signed book, it wouldn't really mean much to me. I have been given a couple of books that others have had signed for me and I treasure those too. I think the only other signing I've been to was Jasper Fforde's when Shades of Grey came out.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Quatermass » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:32 pm

Sister Jennifer wrote:I have a signed copy of The Pratchett Portfolio which is verra special.

My daughter got a Paul McGann signed Dr Who poster from the Lords of Time expo in Brisbane recently. Whenever that was Q? She's extremely chuffed about it & has pride of place among her Dr Who stuff.

I don't really care about signed items. In saying that, it's whatever life opportunities comes your way that counts.

Lords of Time was the middle of April for Brisbane. I went there. It was great. 'Nuff said. :D

Now, for the long list...

Let's see...Terry Pratchett stuff first. I have my copies of The Colour of Magic, Reaper Man, and the first two Science of Discworld books signed.

Staying with books for the time being, I have the first two Otherland books signed by Tad Williams. Alan Dean Foster signed my copies of the novelisations of Alien Nation, Alien, and the Star Wars trilogy (it says George Lucas wrote the first novelisation on the cover, but it's been known for some time that Alan Dean Foster ghostwrote it). And I had my copy of Watchmen signed by Dave Gibbons earlier this year.

I also have bought limited signed copies under reasonable circumstances of two books: Lois McMaster Bujold's Captain Vorpatril's Alliance (which was being sold at retail price, as far as I can remember), and the Lawrence Miles-edited book Faction Paradox: The Book of the War (which I got second-hand in Brighton while on holiday to the UK).

Moving on to DVDs and stuff, I've had my various Neon Genesis Evangelion DVDs signed by many of the voice actors where appropriate, including Yuko Miyamura and Tiffany Grant (respectively the Japanese and English voices of Asuka), as well as Brina Palencia (the voice of Rei in the Rebuild of Evangelion series). In addition, I've had my boxset of Futurama signed by John diMaggio and Billy West. diMaggio also signed the cover for my copy for Final Fantasy X, as he played Wakka.

I also have Billy Boyd's signature on my special edition boxset of The Lord of the Rings, and Christopher Lloyd's signature on my set of Back to the Future.

And now, finally, the Doctor Who ones, with who they were signed by....

*deep breath*

The Key to Time boxset (John Leeson)

Kinda (Peter Davison and Janet Fielding)

Frontios (Peter Davison and Janet Fielding)

The Two Doctors (Colin Baker)

Revelation of the Daleks (Colin Baker)

The Greatest Show in the Galaxy (Sylvester McCoy)

Ghost Light (Sylvester McCoy)

Doctor Who: The Movie (Paul McGann)

Dark Eyes (audio story boxset, Paul McGann and Nicholas Briggs)

Whoo!
All you need to understand
Is everything you know is wrong!

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby Ghost » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:01 am

now for my list
:D
Danny Wallace
I have most of his back catalogue signed
including a DVD copy of Yes man
Danny Wallace and Dave Gorman
Are you Dave Gorman
Dave Gorman
I have most of his back catalogue signed
including the ticket his power point presentation Co signed by Jay Foreman
who is a brilliant comedic musician/writer and should get a lot more recognition than he does

I also have a copy of his album signed
Richard Herring
How Not to Grow Up!: A Coming of Age Memoir. Sort Of
Al Murray
The Pub Landlord's Book of British Common Sense
The Pub Landlord Says Think Yourself British
the second time I met him was by accident I was coming back from the
Birmingham NEC after meeting Paul Kidby and bumped into him
Ricky Tomlinson
I just wish he wouldn't sign everything my arse :|
Ricky
Celebrities My Arse!
and a DVD copy of the 51st State
Peter F. Hamilton
Pandora's star
I shouldn't have gone it was awkward at best I'm not a huge Scifi fan
and hadn't heard of him before that day :oops:
Robert Rankin
Knees Up Mother Earth
The Witches of Chiswick
epic fun because I turned up early and was almost the first in line
I was volunteered to take part in the publicity shot for that section of the tour
he made me do bunny ears on him
Graham Masterton
he was selling off signed books for charity so I brought the cheapest items
Scare Care
and couple of signed promotional book covers
Shaun Hutson
Hell to pay
Terry Pratchett
the unadulterated cat 1st edition
Thud
Thief of time
Terry Pratchett and Paul Kidby
The last hero
The art of discworld
The Pratchett portfolio
Charlaine Harris
Ghost

Postby Bickaxe » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:01 pm

I would only get items signed in person and even those items are specially selected.

Terry Pratchett
Night Watch at my first Wincanton event
Hogfather premiere ticket and screenplay
Unseen University football shirt from Unseen Academicals book launch

Jasper Fforde
Dodo T Shirt from my ffirst Fforde Ffiesta
Shades of Grey hardback
Last Dragons layer hardback

Billy Connelly
Plane ticket from when I sat next to him from Aberdeen to London Heathrow (he's my favourite comedian and it was completely by luck that this happened....it was frickin' awesome, I laughed all the way)
Fiendish til the en-
:twisted:
Bickaxe

Next

Return to The Broken Drum