What made you smile today? 8

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: What made you smile today? 8

Postby pip » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:44 am

Harrys all set for Halloween. We had a test run yesterday -

Image

Image

Image
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
User avatar
pip
Member
 
Posts: 9385
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:20 am
Location: KILDARE

Re: What made you smile today? 8

Postby Penfold » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:47 am

He looks more than capable of terrorizing the neighbourhood in the quest for sweeties. :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
12
User avatar
Penfold
Member
 
Posts: 7215
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:59 am
Location: Worthing

Re: What made you smile today? 8

Postby pip » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:41 am

Certainly terrorises us for treats anyway
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
User avatar
pip
Member
 
Posts: 9385
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:20 am
Location: KILDARE

Re: What made you smile today? 8

Postby michelanCello » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:01 am

Aww :D
Listen.
User avatar
michelanCello
Member
 
Posts: 8753
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:08 pm
Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Re: What made you smile today? 8

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:39 am

Ok, when did you swap baby Harry for a toddler? :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
User avatar
Tonyblack
Moderator
 
Posts: 28997
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:29 pm
Location: Cardiff, Wales

Re: What made you smile today? 8

Postby pip » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:59 am

It scares me how old he looks in the pictures. He's hitting 16 months but looks older
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
User avatar
pip
Member
 
Posts: 9385
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:20 am
Location: KILDARE

Re: What made you smile today? 8

Postby janet » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:17 am

Harry looks gorgeous to me :D :D :D
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet
Member
 
Posts: 2427
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:54 pm
Location: North East England

Re: What made you smile today? 8

Postby chris.ph » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:48 pm

pip wrote:It scares me how old he looks in the pictures. He's hitting 16 months but looks older

about 4 yrs old :shock:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
User avatar
chris.ph
Member
 
Posts: 8671
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:52 am
Location: swansea south wales

Re: What made you smile today? 8

Postby wicked woman » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:29 pm

janet wrote:Harry looks gorgeous to me :D :D :D

True.
Of all the forces in the universe, the hardest to overcome is the force of habit. Gravity is easy-peasy by comparison.
User avatar
wicked woman
Member
 
Posts: 3404
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:51 am
Location: nottinghamshire, uk

Re: What made you smile today? 8

Postby jaznbonnie » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:12 pm

Who's Wee Dug wrote:That's the problem of having 5 Jazz two to show two to hide and one to give to anybody that wants it. ;) :mrgreen:


:lol: :lol: :lol:

And there's what made me smile today! :D

You've got a Ladykiller there, Pip. ;)
Be careful what you wish for as you just might get it.
User avatar
jaznbonnie
Member
 
Posts: 986
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:17 pm
Location: Napa Valley, CA

Re: What made you smile today? 8

Postby Dotsie » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:01 am

raisindot wrote:
Dotsie wrote:I never give my date of birth, they don't need to know! You should never put information on your CV that they don't need, in case it g


Well, they generally ask for it on the application even if they don't require it in a resume.

And I still don't tell them! It hasn't backfired on me yet. The people who will be interviewing will probably just look at the quals & additional info, if they want to see my age I probably wouldn't want to work there anyway.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
User avatar
Dotsie
Member
 
Posts: 9413
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:07 am

Re: What made you smile today? 8

Postby pip » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:38 am

Qualifications and experience should trump all other info especially age. I'm fairly sure I didn't have my age on my CV for the current job and my project and tendering CV doesn't have my age. Doesn't matter once you can do the job competently.
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
User avatar
pip
Member
 
Posts: 9385
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:20 am
Location: KILDARE

Re: What made you smile today? 8

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:46 am

I always remember my ex, who was area manager for a chain of remaindered book shops, going through a pile of CVs looking for new sales staff. She would casually look at each one and was making a growing pile of rejects. I asked what was wrong with the rejects and she answered that they were "too old". The very first thing she looked at was age and if they were over (I seem to remember) 35, they were rejected, no matter what previous experience they had. I argued that ageism was illegal and that people over 35, especially if they had been looking for a job for a while, would be much more likely to be loyal and work harder than school leavers that had never had a job before. They would also have a great deal of common sense, which in my opinion is more important in some jobs, than a string of qualifications. It did no good - it was "company policy" to employ younger people. I even pointed out the irony that by these policies, her company would have rejected her if she's just applied to work there.

Yet another reason she's my ex! :roll:

Ageism, sexism and racial prejudice may be illegal, and there is no way that an employer will admit that the reason you didn't get the interview was because of any of these reasons. They can always think of some other reason why you don't get that interview. :evil:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
User avatar
Tonyblack
Moderator
 
Posts: 28997
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:29 pm
Location: Cardiff, Wales

Re: What made you smile today? 8

Postby pip » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:00 pm

Tonyblack wrote:I always remember my ex, who was area manager for a chain of remaindered book shops, going through a pile of CVs looking for new sales staff. She would casually look at each one and was making a growing pile of rejects. I asked what was wrong with the rejects and she answered that they were "too old". The very first thing she looked at was age and if they were over (I seem to remember) 35, they were rejected, no matter what previous experience they had. I argued that ageism was illegal and that people over 35, especially if they had been looking for a job for a while, would be much more likely to be loyal and work harder than school leavers that had never had a job before. They would also have a great deal of common sense, which in my opinion is more important in some jobs, than a string of qualifications. It did no good - it was "company policy" to employ younger people. I even pointed out the irony that by these policies, her company would have rejected her if she's just applied to work there.

Yet another reason she's my ex! :roll:

Ageism, sexism and racial prejudice may be illegal, and there is no way that an employer will admit that the reason you didn't get the interview was because of any of these reasons. They can always think of some other reason why you don't get that interview. :evil:

Sad but true.
My Dad has applied for numerous jobs since being made redundant but has only had one interview from them all.
Sad state of affairs
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
User avatar
pip
Member
 
Posts: 9385
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:20 am
Location: KILDARE

Re: What made you smile today? 8

Postby raisindot » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:36 pm

pip wrote:Qualifications and experience should trump all other info especially age. I'm fairly sure I didn't have my age on my CV for the current job and my project and tendering CV doesn't have my age. Doesn't matter once you can do the job competently.


Gee...any way that I can be transferred to your parallel universe? :D
raisindot
Member
 
Posts: 3215
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:28 pm
Location: Boston, MA USA

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 8 guests