What made you smile today? 8

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: What made you smile today? 8

Postby raisindot » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:54 pm

Dotsie wrote:I never give my date of birth, they don't need to know! You should never put information on your CV that they don't need, in case it g

Well, they generally ask for it on the application even if they don't require it in a resume.

In the U.S. at least, ageism is a huge problem, given that the majority of workers let go in the Great Recession were older workers who, when they jobs were replaced, were replaced by people half their age (at half their pay).

A common tactic job-seekers use to beat the ageism thing in the application process is to only include the last 10-15 years of experience in a resume. That makes you look like you're experienced, not "old."
raisindot

Postby Ghost » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:08 pm

I've got to rework my cv and get it updated it's a depressing job that I've been putting off for the last 6 months but I'm tired of where I'm working and want to move somewhere where my training is taken seriously
Ghost wrote:I has a happy as well I was doing a bit of mooching online and for some random reason
decided to look for Mushi-Shi and see if volume 4 was available
and after 2 years of on and off looking got my wish the only copy available online on ebay for
£16.25 a little more than I wanted to pay for it but beggars can't be choosers
and hopefully by next week should be in my sweaty donny :D
and with my extra hours at work I should have the other five volumes by next pay for less than £20
it arrived today I had my half second of angry when I forgot which number I ordered :oops: so I've been playing spreadsheets to work out where to buy the rest for the least amount of money :D
Ghost

Postby Batty » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:12 pm

raisindot wrote:
Batty wrote:Sorry to hear your news, Con.

I've just failed an interview because I didn't correctly answer the question about what affect I have on other people?
:confusion-shrug:

Don't know about the UK, but here in the states those kind of "psychology questions" are asked all the time. They're designed to do two things:

1. Get information about the applicant that a resume and vocational questions don't get to;
2. See how the applicant responds to unanticipated questions.

It's always good to mentally prepare yourself to answer these kinds of questions. Common ones are the one that tripped you up, plus others such as:

1. How do you handle conflict in a job situation?
2. What is your biggest professional weakness/area for improvement?
3. What do you think is more important: getting the job done quickly, or getting it done right?
4. If you saw a problem that was hindering the ability to get things done, what would you do?
5. Give some examples of how you've worked on teams
6. How would your former coworkers describe you?

There actually answers to these questions that HR prefers to hear--i.e., that you're a negotiator in conflict stiuations, that you're committed to quality, that you would have the courage to use chain of command to report problems, that you're a team player, and that others consider you to be innovative, productive, and passionate about results.

Even if these aren't true, you should answer them such and do so with a straight face. In this job market (at least here in the states), employers are far more interested in square pegs than they are with original thinkers.

Thanks for that, raisindot, I'll try to remember for next time. I was asked all sorts of questions but I still can't remember this question being asked. Oh, well. Back to the drawing board ...
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Ghost » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:47 pm

I looked at the delivery I had to process at work and decided I couldn't stretch it out
for my full 8 hour shift so after talking it out with my manager for the day I cut my shift short by 3 hours and took a shorter/earlier lunch break :D and still completed my work load by 2pm
Ghost

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:39 pm

I was able to take a proper shower, then cook breakfast for the 1st time in weeks on my new cooker, and do a washing with my new machine, all those things we take for granted it was good to be back to normality. :D :D
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Catch-up » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:57 pm

Nice Ghost! :D

Dug, glad things are back to normal. :D
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Quatermass » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:32 am

Not today, but on Friday. I forgot to mention on this thread I was grinning like a loon for almost the entire day after the news that a big haul of missing episodes of Doctor Who were found.
"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby Ghost » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:26 am

Who's Wee Dug wrote:I was able to take a proper shower, then cook breakfast for the 1st time in weeks on my new cooker, and do a washing with my new machine, all those things we take for granted it was good to be back to normality. :D :D

but do you have wifi yet Dug :pray:
Ghost

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:36 pm

No broadband until sometime in November, too much to do in my new place it would only be a distraction and lenthen the time Iwant to get everything done by I don't even have the TV tuned in yet for the same reason. :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Ghost » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:39 pm

kay
Ghost

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:45 pm

Ghost wrote:kay

His first name was Danny. :geek: :lol:
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Ghost » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:48 pm

eh sorry what now ?`
Ghost

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:54 pm

Ghost wrote:eh sorry what now ?`

Look here. ;)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby jaznbonnie » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:02 pm

Oh, you are a cheeky one, Dug. ;) :lol:
Be careful what you wish for as you just might get it.
jaznbonnie

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:24 pm

That's the problem of having 5 Jazz two to show two to hide and one to give to anybody that wants it. ;) :mrgreen:
Who's Wee Dug

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum