What made you smile today? 8

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: What made you smile today? 8

Postby Conforumist » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:48 am

Thanks everyone,
I'm very upset at the entire process. In hindsight, I know that they were never interested in me: So why did they waste hours of my time. I also asked my manager several times if HR had contacted him. He always said "no". Then yesterday, the HR person said to "follow up" with my manger. I told her that he had told me that he was never contacted!?!?! She maintained that he was. Someone is obviously lying to me.
I'm concerned, because I'm the only person on his team that's doing well. My feeling is that they do not want me to move, because of that. Three of my most tenured co-workers brought up the issue of "morale" during our team meeting yesterday. They said they have never seen it so low.
I will compile an email, or call the head of HR. I think it's important for her to be aware of what I feel was a very unprofessional process.
The greatest things in life are not things.
Conforumist

Postby Penfold » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:40 am

I'm not too sure I would quite go down that route, Con, since it might come back to bite you on the behind with your manager, or should you apply again in the future (it might come across as sour grapes sort of thing). However, what I would do would be to contact the HR Department and ask for feedback on your interview* so you can see where you went "wrong" and correct yourself to become a better asset for the company. (This is complete bulls***ing, I know, but it seems to be the sort of thing they like to hear.) During the process, you can then 'accidentally' let it slip out that your manager wasn't passing on the info from HR. It does sound to me that your boss was being underhanded in trying to hold on to you.

* When I was unemployed, I attended a few seminars and courses on interview techniques and the idea of asking for feedback came up. Not only did it help me improve my technique, it might help make your name stick in the memory of the interviewee so they have more chance of remembering you if you apply again (and it shows you are wiling to put yourself out a bit for the company). :)
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Catch-up » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:54 pm

It could be that they were required to give all the applicants, especially in-house ones, a thorough interview. I think Penfold's idea of asking to sit down with HR to get feedback on your interview is a good one. It may give you an opportunity to diplomatically express your concerns too, or at least a better idea of why you're getting two different stories. If morale is really low there, maybe you'd benefit from looking into working for another company.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Batty » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:18 pm

Sorry to hear your news, Con.

I've just failed an interview because I didn't correctly answer the question about what affect I have on other people?

Not only do I have no recall of that question being asked, but it's a strange question to ask, anyway. Do they mean the affect on other people because I use a walking stick, or is it my personality they are asking about?
I've no idea.
I think that sometimes an employer just looks for any excuse to fail you. :confusion-shrug:
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:28 pm

Made me smile that a courier came in to make a pickup, that we haven't seen for ages (we very rarely use his firm anymore) and he was very chatty, and actually said "It's nice to see you again".

Bless.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby janet » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:45 pm

Aw Batty :romance-caress:
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby The Mad Collector » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:50 pm

Bad news Batty and Con. :(

What made me smile today was talking to my mate Ian in the pub over a couple of pints about the documentary about him tonight on BBC1. Anyone who can watch BBC iplayer or catch the programme as it is broadcast this is a great story, I've known Ian for a couple of years and have watched him change from almost completely blind to being able to see quite well and the change in his life has been amazing. It's his kids birthday tomorrow and it will be the first time he will have seen the twins birthday party at this their 5th.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03b3cbr
Last edited by The Mad Collector on Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Catch-up » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:56 pm

So sorry Batty. :( That is a weird question!

Mad, that's incredible! :D
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Conforumist » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:55 am

Sorry to hear the news Batty. ..but isn't it obvious?? you drive people batty??? :? ... :D
The greatest things in life are not things.
Conforumist

Postby pip » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:22 am

That's amazing Mad. Very cool
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby raisindot » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:20 pm

Batty wrote:Sorry to hear your news, Con.

I've just failed an interview because I didn't correctly answer the question about what affect I have on other people?

Not only do I have no recall of that question being asked, but it's a strange question to ask, anyway. Do they mean the affect on other people because I use a walking stick, or is it my personality they are asking about?
I've no idea.
I think that sometimes an employer just looks for any excuse to fail you. :confusion-shrug:

Don't know about the UK, but here in the states those kind of "psychology questions" are asked all the time. They're designed to do two things:

1. Get information about the applicant that a resume and vocational questions don't get to;
2. See how the applicant responds to unanticipated questions.

It's always good to mentally prepare yourself to answer these kinds of questions. Common ones are the one that tripped you up, plus others such as:

1. How do you handle conflict in a job situation?
2. What is your biggest professional weakness/area for improvement?
3. What do you think is more important: getting the job done quickly, or getting it done right?
4. If you saw a problem that was hindering the ability to get things done, what would you do?
5. Give some examples of how you've worked on teams
6. How would your former coworkers describe you?

There actually answers to these questions that HR prefers to hear--i.e., that you're a negotiator in conflict stiuations, that you're committed to quality, that you would have the courage to use chain of command to report problems, that you're a team player, and that others consider you to be innovative, productive, and passionate about results.

Even if these aren't true, you should answer them such and do so with a straight face. In this job market (at least here in the states), employers are far more interested in square pegs than they are with original thinkers.
raisindot

Postby janet » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:51 pm

Sage words indeed Raisindot. If that's the case, then very little has changed in the last 15-20 years, which is about how long it has been since i last went for a job interview. Sadly, it may well be the case that you can sit there and give perfect answers to all the above but the numbers on your birth certificate determine the outcome. Another kind of bottom line?
That's what sent me back to college at nearly 50 and determined what I do now for a living.
janet

Postby Dotsie » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:04 am

I never give my date of birth, they don't need to know! You should never put information on your CV that they don't need, in case it goes against you. They wouldn't refuse to interview you based on that. My last boss never knew how old I was!

One big problem I've seen when interviewing is that some people don't really know what the job is, or what the company does, which I can't believe they haven't looked up. And if you've showed initiative in how you've done your research, make sure you get it in.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby janet » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:36 am

Yes, that's a big problem. How would you know if you could do the job if you don't know what it is? Makes me think of my poor daughter's recent run in with jobcentre. She has to apply for a certain quota of jobs each week including those recommended by her supervisor at jobcentre. One woman sent her a list which included teacher of French and building site supervisor! Poor lass has just done a degree in animal nursing. She got an earful of threats because she (sensibly) had not applied for these :lol:
janet

Postby Penfold » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:01 am

I found that as well when I was unemployed. I ended up applying for jobs that I was not qualified for or had any chance of even making the interview stage for just to reach their quotas. They also couldn't understand why I didn't have a computer (at that time) and couldn't apply for those 'online application only' jobs. The fact I was unemployed and couldn't afford a computer, let alone broadband, didn't seem to matter. Since I was on basic Jobseekers Allowance and no other benefits, I couldn't even afford to pay the library for the use of their computer to fill out applications (and, as I pointed out to them, the Library system was hardly secure with your information or members of the public, waiting their turn, looking over your shoulder constantly and reading your details).
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum