What made you smile today? 8

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: What made you smile today? 8

Postby Quatermass » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:29 am

janet wrote:Lucky man, Q :D

Luck only played a part in it because she went to a convention near me. The rest was intention.

And she's lovely. She's like Martha, only with more energy and loveliness, if you get me. Not that Martha didn't have that, but I got the feeling Freema Agyeman dials up the seriousness more as Martha. Whereas Freema Agyeman was less restrained, and so full of life and energy by comparison.

I also saw Peter 'Chewbacca' Mayhew at a seminar at the same thing. Poor old sod needed a walking stick to get around. I guess that's what happens when you've got gigantism and you get old. He's 70 next month, but he looks older, poor sod. And he seemed to meander a bit. But he answered my question well enough, which was to do with the great British actors he had worked with, including Alec Guinness (of course) and Peter Cushing (though he said he had little to do with Cushing). In fact, he said that he knew and admired Patrick Troughton (both of them were in Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger) from his time in Doctor Who. That's right folks. Chewbacca may not be a confirmed Whovian, but he enjoyed the Second Doctor!
Have you seen the size of human brains? They're hilarious!

-The Twelfth Doctor
Quatermass

Postby janet » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:07 am

Seems like you had a really great time, Q :D It's fun, isn't it, to meet people you 'know' from their roles on TV or film and easy to become starstruck in the light of their charismatic personalities! The more I get to know people who perform for a living, the more it becomes clear that they are addicted to the thrill of the spotlight and applause. This could be translated as attention-seeking egoism but the truly successful performers are those who hang onto their humility and kindness and care about their fans.
Such a shame that Peter Mayhew is in a bad way. Nowadays characters like Chewbacca would be CGI-ed I suppose, but back then he was a very tall bloke in a hairy suit and we loved him!
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby Quatermass » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:33 am

Some stars are...well, I try to treat them as human beings, and try to talk to them with respect and candour. But there was one star I had seen some time ago who was...mildly speaking, attention-seeking.

I daresay that some people do have that addiction to the limelight and all that. But most 'stars' I have met are generally nice people. Then again, most of the ones I have encountered are mostly known for TV rather than film.

I also have a couple of truisms: treat celebrities decently like human beings than either deities or your personal best friend. The former potentially inflates their ego, and the latter is creepy. Also, never ever consider yourself their number one fan for two reasons: one, there are a ridiculous number of fans who may have a better claim, and two, down that path is the Annie Wilkes path.

Peter Mayhew did say that he'd love to don the suit again, but I don't see it happening. I was at the right angle just to see him waiting in the wings, and I was pretty sure the poor sod, prior to getting onstage, was in a wheelchair. A tweeted picture of his retweeted on the Supanova Twitter account confirms this (and said picture also shows Verne 'Mini-Me' Troyer next to him, on a small mobility scooter- goes to show that extremes of height, whether you're big or small, are no good for your bones and joints :( ).

-The Twelfth Doctor
Quatermass

Postby Catch-up » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:53 pm

Mad, sounds like the kids' visit was adorable. I love that they brought in their own teddies to share. :D As for kids in general, just like with adults, it depends on the kid. I haven't found any evidence that kids are all awful by x age or before x age, and I'm around kids a lot. I think it's more about the adult's expectations and comfort level with kids than the kids themselves.

Q, sounds like you had an awesome day! Any pictures?
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Catch-up » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:00 pm

“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby raptornx01 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:49 pm

:lol:
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby janet » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:32 pm

Very funny wedding invitation :lol: :lol:
janet

Postby raptornx01 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:40 am

"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Mycroft Vimes » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:30 am

Quatermass wrote:I try to treat them as human beings, and try to talk to them with respect...

Quatermass wrote:I was pretty sure the poor sod...

But you don't seem to feel the need to extend that respect,whilst 'talking' about them when they are not around it seems IMAO. :whistle:
Pretty sure i personally would object quite strongly to being called a 'poor sod' by anyone,fan or no. ;)

What made me smile this morning,was weighing in at 64.9 kilograms! :dance:
I've been steadily losing a 'bit' of weight(i was at 78.8/78.9 kgs,fast approaching 80 kgs,when deciding the fat wasn't going away magically alas :think: :( :roll: ),but the rate is slowing down considerably as you'd expect(also nearly there,i'm taking 63/64 kgs as the weight to shoot for).
So getting over the 65 kgs barrier made me smile big time. :D
'It's just like crop circles. No matter how many aliens own up to making them, there are always a few diehards who believe that humans go out with garden rollers in the middle of the night-'
Mycroft Vimes

Postby Quatermass » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:43 am

Mycroft Vimes wrote:
Quatermass wrote:I try to treat them as human beings, and try to talk to them with respect...

Quatermass wrote:I was pretty sure the poor sod...

But you don't seem to feel the need to extend that respect,whilst 'talking' about them when they are not around it seems IMAO. :whistle:
Pretty sure i personally would object quite strongly to being called a 'poor sod' by anyone,fan or no. ;)

I didn't mean anything offensive by it. :x I was expressing pity and sympathy for a man whose body is being wracked by pain, and preventing him from walking around normally. Or am I not allowed to do so?

-The Twelfth Doctor
Quatermass

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:45 am

"Poor sod" is not considered offensive, even though it was originally derived from sodomite. Even calling someone a "sod" to their face is only considered a sort of jokey rebuke. It is one of those words that has lost its sting and original meaning. Another that comes to mind is "berk" (Cockney rhyming slang). Certainly, if someone referred to me as a poor sod, I wouldn't be offended in the slightest. In this context it would be sympathetic.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Bouncy Castle » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:01 pm

Listen to Tony, the poor old sod. ;)
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:15 pm

:D

The Sod Off Song.

"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby janet » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:11 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
janet

Postby Quatermass » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:08 pm

Tonyblack wrote:"Poor sod" is not considered offensive, even though it was originally derived from sodomite. Even calling someone a "sod" to their face is only considered a sort of jokey rebuke. It is one of those words that has lost its sting and original meaning. Another that comes to mind is "berk" (Cockney rhyming slang). Certainly, if someone referred to me as a poor sod, I wouldn't be offended in the slightest. In this context it would be sympathetic.

Thank you, Tony.

-The Twelfth Doctor
Quatermass

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum