What made you smile today? 8

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: What made you smile today? 8

Postby Quatermass » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:37 am

Watching the latest (and VERY belated) episode of Yu-Gi-Oh! The Abridged Series. Funny and enjoyable, but one wonders if it was technically worth the wait.
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

-The Twelfth Doctor, Doctor Who: Deep Breath
Quatermass

Postby pip » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:47 am

chris.ph wrote:i know pip didnt enjoy it but i did, but i couldnt even finish nation it did nothing for me :roll:

Its not that its bad. Its just not Terry Pratchett . I can see a lot of fans passing on their books
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Quatermass » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:05 am

I enjoyed Nation. Not one of his best books, sure, but I think part of the problem with people's opinions of it is not that it isn't Terry Pratchett, but rather, that it's not Discworld.
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

Quatermass

Postby pip » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:19 am

I loved Dodger and Nation as well as the Bromeliad and Johnny series but I still feel the Long earth stuff lacked a lot of what makes his books great. Its not the Discworld stuff that's lacking but something else. Even with Good Omens as a collaboration you can still feel Terry throughout the book. Long earth and War not so much.
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Quatermass » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:11 am

Maybe it's Stephen Baxter doing more of the writing for the Long Earth series.

Quatermass

Postby pip » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:35 am

That's my point though. Pratchett fans won't all enjoy Baxter hence the amount turning up in charity shops.
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Catch-up » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:40 am

This was yesterday. Imagining how silly Thing 1 and I looked while we practiced for her dressage test in our living room. :roll: :lol: We had arena letters taped up and tried to do our best in such a small space. If only our driveway weren't an ice rink and our back yard buried in 3 feet of snow. :roll:
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby chillicamper » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:46 pm

Always interesting trying to remember those. A...enter in medium walk. X...proceed in medium walk. C...track left. E...turn left. X...halt. B track right. FAK trot......etc.....etc...etc.

They are difficult to remember.......probably not so good for dyslexics either. :?
Wooden stuff at www.iwoodlovethat.co.uk
chillicamper

Postby janet » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:42 pm

wicked woman wrote:You might come across my copy of Long Earth in a charity shop. I could not get into it.

Mine was abandoned after the first few pages too but i went back to it after reading The High Meggas. It made sense then so I read it right through and enjoyed it but it's not amongst my favourites and I still don't own a copy of the Long War.

:lol: The dressage test!
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby janet » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:56 pm

Lots of things to smile about today. Arriving home at lunchtime to find the box of summer bulbs I ordered waiting on the backdoor step. The whole lot just cost me £1. Finding that the mail had brought me a package containing a CD AND a bar of chocolate :D from a friend who shares a taste in music (and chocolate) Discovering that the CD is almost the same concert I went to the other week but was recorded the day before and is excellent quality. Finding some half-price plants this morning which will perk up a dull corner of a garden somewhere. Makes a change from the gloom I've been feeling lately!
janet

Postby ChristianBecker » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:04 pm

Sacrifice of the Vaal, a mini-expansion to Path of Exile has been released. Tremendous fun.
On with their heads! I'm the clown prince of fools
if you don't get the joke it's your loss
Love and laughter you see are the new currency
'cause greed's coinage is not worth a toss

Exile yourself to the unforgiving continent of Wraeclast!
ChristianBecker

Postby Catch-up » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:52 pm

chillicamper wrote:Always interesting trying to remember those. A...enter in medium walk. X...proceed in medium walk. C...track left. E...turn left. X...halt. B track right. FAK trot......etc.....etc...etc.

They are difficult to remember.......probably not so good for dyslexics either. :?

You should have seen me trying to figure it out. :oops: Finally got her teacher on the phone so she could talk me through it.

Janet, such wonderful deliveries! :D
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
Catch-up

Postby chillicamper » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:51 am

Catch-up wrote:You should have seen me trying to figure it out. :oops: Finally got her teacher on the phone so she could talk me through it.

It's always easier when you have an area marked out with the letters and you can walk it. Just trying to visualise it never worked for me. Still.....it's like some secret code when you first look at it :? :lol:
Wooden stuff at www.iwoodlovethat.co.uk
chillicamper

Postby janet » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:53 am

I feel your pain over dressage tests Catch-up. I used to be roped in as a writer for an international dressage judge (I worked for her on her dairy farm). There's only a small area on the marking paper for the judge's comments which the writer is supposed to write in full so the adjudicators can understand. The test goes quite quickly and she always said too much to fit in the space. I used to get in quite a lather trying to keep up and that was just sitting in the car watching :lol:
janet

Postby Catch-up » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:54 pm

We've never tried practicing it this way before, and I think it's really helping. After watching her walk it several times, even I know the pattern now! Our biggest challenge will be how well she can focus at the show though. She tends to panic a little and mentally check out to cope with it, and the result is she doesn't perform well. If she can just manage to be well focused and remember the pattern, I'll be happy! Fingers crossed. Any positive horse-showy vibes would be much appreciated!
Catch-up

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum