CSI vegas episode 'the descent of man'

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

CSI vegas episode 'the descent of man'

Postby the omnian » Tue May 19, 2009 9:06 pm

did anyone see the Great God Om (greatest of gods) smite the heretic steven?

remember om is always with us, 'he doesn't do anything, but might'
the omnian

Postby Tonyblack » Wed May 20, 2009 12:02 am

All praise Him! :lol:

Not even sure what you're talking about, but welcome to the site anyhow.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Tonyblack » Wed May 20, 2009 12:27 am

Ah ha! And now I do know what you mean. :lol:

Terry's fame is spreading. And so is Om's! :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby poohbcarrot » Wed May 20, 2009 3:04 am

:? :?: :? :?: :? :?:
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Jason » Wed May 20, 2009 6:17 am

A person was killed when an eagle dropped a tortoise on his head.
TCOM-12 - Ludeum in tympanus
Editor Discworld Monthly
Jason

Postby poohbcarrot » Wed May 20, 2009 8:41 am

Aha! :D

So what's CSI then?
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Dotsie » Wed May 20, 2009 9:14 am

It's telly - Crime Scene Investigation. Doing forensic magiks & whatnot to solve crimes in an exciting way.

I don't watch it by the way, so I'm just supposing all this from what others tell me :D
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed May 20, 2009 10:09 am

Does anyone else hate TLAs :evil: (3 letter acronyms... :P )

And yes eagles really do do that - the dropping that is. They don't differentiate on what they're dropping the tortoise on so long as it breaks the shell... :shock:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Batty » Wed May 20, 2009 11:51 am

Jan Van Quirm wrote:Does anyone else hate TLAs :evil: (3 letter acronyms... :P )

It was once pointed out to me that an acronym is a word made from a series of initial letters or parts of a word; LASER, SWAT, SONAR, for example, wheras CSI, BBC, FBI et al is actually initialism.

Sorry to be a pedant. I think I need some chocolate!
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Dotsie » Wed May 20, 2009 12:39 pm

Aah interesting... so MRSA is an example of initialism in the UK, but it's an acronym in the US (at least I think so, since on House they pronounce it "mersa").

Pedant away, I love it :wink:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby poohbcarrot » Wed May 20, 2009 1:00 pm

So SWALK and PORWIGH are acronyms.

When Newcastle Poly became a university and they were thinking of names, they considered calling it City University of Newcastle-upon-Tyne. Sadly they rejected it. :lol:

When in Thunderbirds they said FAB (what did it stand for?) was that an acronym or an initialism?
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby poohbcarrot » Wed May 20, 2009 1:06 pm

...and if you pronounced CSI as "cussi", would it be an acronym? Or FBI as "fubi", or BBC as "bubuk?

Surely any initialism with a vowel can be made into an acronym, can't it? (apart from DIY and probably some others that I really can't be bothered to think about now)

How about BBQ?
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed May 20, 2009 2:12 pm

Batty wrote:It was once pointed out to me that an acronym is a word made from a series of initial letters OR parts of a word; LASER, SWAT, SONAR, for example, wheras CSI, BBC, FBI et al is actually initialism.

Highlights/emphasis mine own *bows* :wink:

Just to continue in the spirit of pendantry if it's either/or (or even and/or to get really stuck in) doesn't that still make a series of initial letters, such as CSI or BBC etc acronyms that are based on initialism? :P

It's all bolloxie jargon anyway and intended to make people ask what they stand for, or, to be even more accurate, sheer laziness and showing off.... :lol:

What's wrong with CUONUT anyway... :twisted:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Dotsie » Wed May 20, 2009 3:07 pm

poohbcarrot wrote:When in Thunderbirds they said FAB (what did it stand for?) was that an acronym or an initialism?

It stood for "Full Acknowledgement of Broadcast", although I don't think they ever said that on the show. So they could have made the meaning up afterwards. And it's initialism. Although Thunderbirds was also fab as well :wink:
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Wed May 20, 2009 3:50 pm

I'm pretty sure that Gerry Anderson himself has stated that F.A.B. didn't actually stand for anything - "fab" was just a popular word in the 60s when the show was made. :)
Tonyblack

Next

Return to The Broken Drum