What are you doing tomorrow? 4

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: What are you doing tomorrow? 4

Postby Penfold » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:32 am

I hope you can get it sorted Chilli. :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Catch-up » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:35 am

Good luck Chilli!
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby chris.ph » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:00 am

carbs chili :pray:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby chillicamper » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:54 am

chris.ph wrote:carbs chili :pray:

Hope I can find something simple. It's got a single Solex PICT34 on it - supposedly rebuilt/refurbed - but it runns sooooo rich all the time no matter how the carb is tuned. The current thinking is that there's something underlying (and more expensive) causing problems. I'm hoping 2 heads will be better than one and we can at least come up with an idea of what the problem is. :think: Even if I can't get it fixed today.
Wooden stuff at www.iwoodlovethat.co.uk
chillicamper

Postby wicked woman » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:59 pm

Back to work. :cry: Had a lovely holiday though.
Of all the forces in the universe, the hardest to overcome is the force of habit. Gravity is easy-peasy by comparison.
wicked woman

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:45 pm

How do you regulate the petrol/air mix into the carb Chilli. :?:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby chillicamper » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:01 pm

Who's Wee Dug wrote:How do you regulate the petrol/air mix into the carb Chilli. :?:

2 screws on the side of the carb & 1 on the butterfly stop. The butterfly one just sets the closed gap on the butterfly and thus the lowest idle speed, the large screw adjusts tickover up & down, the small one adusts the mix of air/fuel and should make it leaner/richer - but isn't.

Discovered an air leak on an inlet manifold rubber/gasket today. Seems to be making cylinders 1&2 run lean - so the carb has to be tuned too rich for the engine to run at all - then that means cylinders 3&4 are running way too rich.

The parts are not too expensive, but its a royal pain the the posterior to replace. Probably about 3-4 hours of spannering. It might even be quicker to drop the engine out to strip down. The annoying thing is, I replaced these rubbers about 2 years ago when the engine was last out, but modern, cheap chinese made parts don't last as they should. Gonna try some new shiny red urethane ones this time - better heat resitance so maybe they'll last longer.

I'll try and run it as it is for another week or so, then the chap that helped me today is hopefully gonna be free to help again in a couple of weeks time. Pulling engines is easier with 2 people.

See.........you really shouldn't start me talking about tinkering on old motors :roll: ;) :lol:
chillicamper

Postby janet » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:27 pm

:pray: Thanks for a diesel engine that i can do sweet bugger all with, keeps running after 120k miles (nearly).
Don't know Jose's age, but was he born before the era of unleaded petrol when VW engines ran on 2-star?
Vehicular problems suck completely...... :cry: :evil: :x :naughty:
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby Penfold » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:24 pm

Having my printer properly calibrated so hopefully I should soon be able to print my photos to a decent standard (at least good enough for exhibitions and, even more hopefully, selling). :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:00 am

chillicamper wrote:
Who's Wee Dug wrote:How do you regulate the petrol/air mix into the carb Chilli. :?:

2 screws on the side of the carb & 1 on the butterfly stop. The butterfly one just sets the closed gap on the butterfly and thus the lowest idle speed, the large screw adjusts tickover up & down, the small one adusts the mix of air/fuel and should make it leaner/richer - but isn't.

Discovered an air leak on an inlet manifold rubber/gasket today. Seems to be making cylinders 1&2 run lean - so the carb has to be tuned too rich for the engine to run at all - then that means cylinders 3&4 are running way too rich.

The parts are not too expensive, but its a royal pain the the posterior to replace. Probably about 3-4 hours of spannering. It might even be quicker to drop the engine out to strip down. The annoying thing is, I replaced these rubbers about 2 years ago when the engine was last out, but modern, cheap chinese made parts don't last as they should. Gonna try some new shiny red urethane ones this time - better heat resitance so maybe they'll last longer.

I'll try and run it as it is for another week or so, then the chap that helped me today is hopefully gonna be free to help again in a couple of weeks time. Pulling engines is easier with 2 people.

See.........you really shouldn't start me talking about tinkering on old motors :roll: ;) :lol:

I did the same but it was on Triumph Twins when they had pushrods instead of overhead cams like they have now. :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Joolz » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:52 am

Sit down with a 5lb hammer 20 Marlboro and a bottle of bourbon Stare at the carb until it gets the message :lol:
Tune the world out, turn the radio up
Sing along to my freedom song
Joolz

Postby chillicamper » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:50 am

janet wrote::pray: Thanks for a diesel engine that i can do sweet bugger all with, keeps running after 120k miles (nearly).
Don't know Jose's age, but was he born before the era of unleaded petrol when VW engines ran on 2-star?

Jose is 38 yrs old. Built to run on either 4 star or unleaded (due to being aircooled with alloy heads, he had hardened valve seats fitted as standard). I think some of the problems come with the 'new' petrol having higher content of ethanol in it these days - it seems to eat old types of rubber. I changed of the fuel lines because of this.

Joolz wrote:

Sit down with a 5lb hammer 20 Marlboro and a bottle of bourbon Stare at the carb until it gets the message :lol:

My kind of mechanics. Mind you Jose doesnt take to threats well. He's Mexican and so usually demands blood sacrifices - every time I skin my knuckles working on him he gets his blood ;) :lol:
chillicamper

Postby wicked woman » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:31 am

chillicamper wrote:
janet wrote::pray: Thanks for a diesel engine that i can do sweet bugger all with, keeps running after 120k miles (nearly).

Jose is 38 yrs old. Built to run on either 4 star or unleaded (due to being aircooled with alloy heads, he had hardened valve seats fitted as standard). I think some of the problems come with the 'new' petrol having higher content of ethanol in it these days - it seems to eat old types of rubber. I changed of the fuel lines because of this.

Joolz wrote:

My kind of mechanics. Mind you Jose doesnt take to threats well. He's Mexican and so usually demands blood sacrifices - every time I skin my knuckles working on him he gets his blood ;) :lol:

:lol:
Of all the forces in the universe, the hardest to overcome is the force of habit. Gravity is easy-peasy by comparison.
wicked woman

Postby janet » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:29 am

I'll stick to checking the oil and water once a week and trying to look intelligent staring under the bonnet :D
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby wicked woman » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:02 pm

janet wrote:I'll stick to checking the oil and water once a week and trying to look intelligent staring under the bonnet :D

That's beyond me -the looking intelligent part. ;)
wicked woman

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum