Gather Ye Round For I Be Having A Japanese Tale To Tell

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Catch-up » Tue May 19, 2009 1:14 am

I didn't even know Billy Connelly was in it! Maybe I'll give it a try if the library has it.

By the way, great sig! :lol:
Catch-up

Postby Tonyblack » Tue May 19, 2009 2:00 am

Thanks! I pinched it from Terry. :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby poohbcarrot » Tue May 19, 2009 3:23 am

Tonyblack wrote:Susanne, if you want a really good read and to gain a bit more knowledge of that period before isolation (albeit in a novel) you might enjoy Shogun by James Clavell. It is loosely based on a true story. :)

Have to agree with Tony here. I love Shogun. I've read it more times than I've read LOTR. :D
And I enjoyed Last Samurai.
They made a film of Shogun yonks ago with Richard Chamberlain but it was pants!

(Believe it or not, I actually carefully-worded my initial post so as not to cause offence to Christians. Before last Saturday I never knew about the 26 crucifixions or Urakami cathedral and I thought it was ironic that the US, a Christian country, rather than take out Kyoto with over 2000 "heathen" temples and shrines, should vapourise the biggest Christian cathedral in the whole of Asia!)
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue May 19, 2009 10:28 am

poohbcarrot wrote:
Tonyblack wrote:Susanne, if you want a really good read and to gain a bit more knowledge of that period before isolation (albeit in a novel) you might enjoy Shogun by James Clavell. It is loosely based on a true story. :)

Have to agree with Tony here. I love Shogun. I've read it more times than I've read LOTR. :D

And I enjoyed Last Samurai.
They made a film of Shogun yonks ago with Richard Chamberlain but it was pants!

*rubs eyes in disbelief!* :P

How dare you be mean to Richard Chamberlain! And it was a TV mini series which isn't quite the same as a film as it's supposed to be pants! :lol:
I quite enjoyed Shogun the mini series actually & John Rhys-Davies was great as the Portuguese seafarer in that :)
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tonyblack » Tue May 19, 2009 2:53 pm

If you ever get the chance to watch the Shogun TV series again, watch the opening scene (shown every week) of a ship in trouble at sea - you can see the shadow of a helicopter on there. :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Batty » Tue May 19, 2009 3:41 pm

Tonyblack wrote:If you ever get the chance to watch the Shogun TV series again, watch the opening scene (shown every week) of a ship in trouble at sea - you can see the shadow of a helicopter on there. :wink:

Are you sure that it isn't the shadow cast by an octupus, pirouetting from the water?
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Previous

Return to The Broken Drum