A Temporary Withdrawal...

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: A Temporary Withdrawal...

Postby Dotsie » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:32 pm

You'll be missed Q :( I enjoyed our chats, hope you'll be back soon for more of them. Take care till then :)
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby MongoGutman » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:15 pm

Funny... I'd come to the conclusion that the source of my own writing difficulties is my lack of socialization, not the reverse... whatever rocks your boat Q
Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? ~~ Oddball
MongoGutman

Postby Conforumist » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:20 am

That leaves me as the only other (fill in the blank) on the forum. :cry: :o

I will miss you Q!

But I understand that we need to say fauQ to things sometimes! (been wanting to use that for ages) :lol:

I would suggest getting away from writing all together for a while. From my "limited" understanding, forced writing does not tend to be peoples best.
The greatest things in life are not things.
Conforumist

Postby Quatermass » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:01 am

Thanks, all of you, for the well-wishing. I just needed some time and space to get my sh** together, and, tentatively, I have. A key factor in my deciding to return to the BBS so early was being cheered up (or at least in much better cheer than usual) by what is debatably the funniest Doctor Who audio story ever written, The Kingmaker. But I am also managing to write again, and I've also dipped my toe tentatively into the world of Dungeons and Dragons. A new hobby might help keep my brain busy when my writing skills fail me, hence my tentative look into Dungeons and Dragons.

Again, thank you all for your well-wishing.

Oh, and Conforumist? FauQ? :lol: I wish I'd thought of that!

Actually, someone's used it first, in a variation... :lol:

"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:03 pm

:happy-bouncyredfire: Well that was quick! :P Hope you continue to find support and encouragement for the writing - it's so important to be able to have a 'goof off' area so you can still write outside your usual comfort zone (or well within it as and when you need to ;) ). If you're having trouble writing something - go write something different instead. If that fails go read something that fires you up - it all counts as writing activity :mrgreen:

Actually pen and paper RP in D&D online setups was a major factor in my search for coping therapies for my own 'black dog' episodes and, as you've found, it really does help with the writing especially if you get into the original character development mode. :shifty: It's the aspect of assembling playing personalities that, for me anyway, has been really wonderful for honing profiling and dialogue skills, especially when you're working outside your usual life experience parameter... My favourite character to write in the novel has been a mass murderer, with a challenge to write him sympathetically in tandem with the character of some of his victims surviving spouse/parent. :character-jason:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Georgie » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:50 pm

Ahh Quatermass. I hope you get your groove back. When I thought I could write (I still can't write) I used to get constructive criticism from people I trusted who I thought read enough of similar material to understand it's gist. You probably don't need advice, though. Hope life starts getting good for you!
Georgie

Previous

Return to The Broken Drum