Gay marriage bill given green light

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Gay marriage bill given green light

Postby Dotsie » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:59 pm

Hurrah!

I thought I'd start a celebratory thread, to mark another milestone in equal rights :D Next thing you know, we'll be having women bishops.

Although I have to draw attention to the delightful Lord Eden's comment, "Small children have a need for the warmth and love of their natural mother". Er, what? And your inability to distinguish between an abused child and a happy one (never mind a 'natural' mother and a birth mother) has what to do with gay marriage, exactly? :?
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Re: Gay marriage bill given green light

Postby pip » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:01 pm

Ireland will join you in 50 years :roll:
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Joolz » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:20 pm

Dotsie wrote:Hurrah!

I thought I'd start a celebratory thread, to mark another milestone in equal rights :D Next thing you know, we'll be having women bishops.

Although I have to draw attention to the delightful Lord Eden's comment, "Small children have a need for the warmth and love of their natural mother". Er, what? And your inability to distinguish between an abused child and a happy one (never mind a 'natural' mother and a birth mother) has what to do with gay marriage, exactly? :?

Women bishops!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: Wash your brain out you deviant :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tune the world out, turn the radio up
Sing along to my freedom song
Joolz

Postby raisindot » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:24 pm

Huge reason to celebrate!

Whoever would have thought that in terms of enacting positive progressive change Britain (and France) would actually TRAIL the U.S. (or at least, some states therein). :D
raisindot

Postby raisindot » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:25 pm

pip wrote:Ireland will join you in 50 years :roll:

And the United states south of the Mason Dixon line will follow Ireland, but only after another Civil War.
raisindot

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:32 pm

Shouldn't that be the pink light? :lol:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:38 pm

I think it's excellent news! :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby The Mad Collector » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:20 pm

This thread is rather early. All that has happened is that the bill has passed it's first reading in the House of Lords, which means it simply has been accepted as something to be looked at properly. It still has to be actually examined by both houses, amended and then voted on again. There is at least a year to go before this would actually become law in the UK assuming that it doesn't die or get amended out of recognition on it's way through the process.
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Dotsie » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:38 pm

As my thread is called "Gay marriage bill given green light", I think it's absolutely the right time to post this :P And it's still a landmark in equal rights, even if there hasn't been a law passed yet.

Joolz wrote:Women bishops!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: Wash your brain out you deviant :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:11 pm

Worth celebrating the breakthrough - have some more pink...

"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby raisindot » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:16 pm

The Mad Collector wrote:This thread is rather early. All that has happened is that the bill has passed it's first reading in the House of Lords, which means it simply has been accepted as something to be looked at properly. It still has to be actually examined by both houses, amended and then voted on again. There is at least a year to go before this would actually become law in the UK assuming that it doesn't die or get amended out of recognition on it's way through the process.

Don't you wish they could resurrect Paul Eddington and Nigel Hawthorne and reunite them with Derek Fowlds to make a special Yes, Prime Minister episode on this subject?
raisindot

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:27 pm

I wonder if they've covered it in "The Thick of IT"? I wouldn't be surprised. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby jaeger » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:54 pm

Thought all marriages were gay affairs :D , apart from those involving shotguns of course :shock:
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, naked, drunk and on fire screaming YEEHAAW ! . . . .
jaeger

Postby raptornx01 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:01 pm

:lol:
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby michelanCello » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:20 pm

Great news! :D
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Next

Return to The Broken Drum