But we all knew that

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: But we all knew that

Postby Del » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:51 pm

When I used to collect science fiction books I would always research the authors as well as I could. Quite alot of the earlier writers were in fact scientists. I parrucularly remember a book about a planet that had only been partially "germinated" then left where insects evolved into the master race... written by of all people... an entomologist.

As you know.. I love mechanical engineering. . And in my time in that area actually saw on a daily basis new inventions put into place that though you may never have heard of them revolutionised a particular field and then flowed onto other areas. I was surrounded by people who asked "what if. .." and "I wonder..." but then isnt that ALL areas or science and technology. . Not just the cool stuff like light sabers? Personally I would have a vaccine over a light saber any day :)

And we DO have cheap energy... but thw government here has just made it harder to access. Last year they gave to grid rebate at 33c.. and a generous amount of money towards installing solar piwer panels. Now the grid rate is around 8c if you connect and no concessions to buy the panels. And they just raised the power prices 22%... they stand to make 8 billion on carbon taxes and GST taxes.. so why should they encourage cheap energy when its there? I have a few friends who get paid for power they are supplying back to the grid.

Its law that every new home has rated insulation and a water tank here in Queensland.. why don't they include solar panels. *steps off her soapbox*
Just keep swimming... just keep swimming.. just keep swimming....
Del

Postby Del » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:53 pm

Argh. Excuse the typing. On my mobile and its hell to go back and edit etc.
Del

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:56 pm

I always wanted Luke to pick up that Lightsabre that Obiwan gave him, upside down. Would have made for a short film though. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Del » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:05 pm

:lol: :lol: I always thought those light sabers were a health and safety problem.
Del

Postby Bickaxe » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:44 pm

They have a trigger button so you couldn't pick it up upside down.

You could turn it in when its facing the wrong way though.......
Fiendish til the en-
:twisted:
Bickaxe

Postby raptornx01 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:53 am

I'd be for transporters, but only if they worked like they do in star trek. There was a guy that had created a kind of transporter. I forget the details, was years ago, but was basically, put a particle on one end, and it would create a duplicate of it on the other end, then destroy the original. I think he was only able to do it with photons at the time though.

Sorry, but that's not a transporter to me. And I'd never use it. would make a nice replicator though.

as for the question of would such tech make us more like star trek, well, remember, they only got to where they were after nearly destroying themselves. a large amount of the worlds population was wiped out. thats when they started to be like, yeah, maybe we should rethink things. the old line about burning it down and starting over.

It could help though, if say replicators could do what they do cheaply. and on large scales. mass producing food, water, medicine, etc. Dunno if they would even allow the tech though.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby hnorwood » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:54 pm

There was an episode in Red Dwarf that had a form of replicator - it created a "good" and a "bad" version of the subject. Cue for gags.

Larry Niven in his universe had point to point transporters developed by the puppeteers, if memory serves me correctly.

The Star Trek transporters violate several laws of Physics as we know them - we'll have to wait for a change in the Laws or the arrival of alien technology.
:)
Huge Neuroid

Angst-Lesspork
hnorwood

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:19 pm

"Ya canna change the laws of physics, Capt'n!" :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby hnorwood » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:20 pm

How about a petition to have them repealed instead?
Huge Neuroid

Angst-Lesspork
hnorwood

Postby raptornx01 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:23 pm

Laws are meant to be broken :lol:

and I wouldn't call Tachyons and quantum entanglment law abiding citizens either. XD
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby =Tamar » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:37 am

Tachyons are so last millennium.
=Tamar

Postby raptornx01 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:02 am

Speaking of future tech

http://news.yahoo.com/3-d-printing-goes ... 23371.html

I actually know of a fair number of artists that use 3d printers to do commissions.
raptornx01

Postby Del » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:09 pm

But we already HAVE replicators as rap pointed out.

Seriously... when the lotto comes in... the BEST state of the art 3D printer is right up there. Jay Leno has one. He uses it to make hard to obtain parts for his fleet of cars :)
Del

Postby raptornx01 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:34 pm

Here's your shopping list. the cheapest ones are only around $300us

http://www.3ders.org/pricecompare/3dprinters/

the materials, looks like the basic plastic is around $37 a kg.

oohh, material list.

http://www.3ders.org/pricecompare/
raptornx01

Postby Dotsie » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:55 pm

hnorwood wrote:The Star Trek transporters violate several laws of Physics as we know them - we'll have to wait for a change in the Laws or the arrival of alien technology.
:)

According to the ramblings of Brian Cox, there's nothing in the laws of physics that says something couldn't disappear and reappear somewhere else in the universe... although that sounds like bunkum to layperson like me, how about a transporter that somehow manipulates this loophole in the law? Job done ;)
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum