Trivial Things That Bug You, and Answers...

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Trivial Things That Bug You, and Answers...

Postby Quatermass » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:00 am

Okay. TV Tropes is offline for the moment, and I can't find anything on Wikipedia. So I decided to open up this thread, in order to clear away general ignorance (or spread it, as the case may be). These are trivial little things that bug you, but they're not exactly something that you can always look up, even if they are worksafe.

So, I'd like to open up with something that's been bugging me for the past week: Steaks. And black eyes.

Okay, you know that cliche in cartoons where a steak is used on a black eye? I was reminded of that when I watched an episode of The Goodies (specifically the episode Come Dancing), and at the end, Tim's got a real shiner, and Bill comes in with a chook (a chicken for those outside Australia), saying that the butcher is out of steaks.

So, what's so good about a steak on a bruised eye? :think:
All you need to understand
Is everything you know is wrong!

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Re: Trivial Things That Bug You, and Answers...

Postby Quatermass » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:06 am

Okay, TV Tropes is back online, so I got my answer, or at least a few: one, it can act like an icepack (though an icepack is preferable to a raw steak, given that you don't want beef blood in your eye), two, it might have originated in the Greek medical theory about the four Humours.

Okay, anyone else?

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:09 am

The mispronunciation of words.

Chimbley = Chimney
Pacific = Specific

Etc.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Quatermass » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:14 am

Bouncy Castle wrote:The mispronunciation of words.

Chimbley = Chimney
Pacific = Specific

Etc.

I thought that was in the I Say, You Say thread I opened...

Like my mum insists that 'mayor' is pronounced like 'mare' rather than 'may-or'. It gets to the point where everytime she corrects me, I say a 'mare' is what a stallion [EFF!]s.

Anyway, this thread is more for things that may actually have answers.

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby Square12 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:29 am

Why do non Brits have such difficulty in understanding that the whole island is not called England and that furthermore there is no such thing as a "British accent"
If you can fill the unforgiving minute,
With sixty seconds worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a man my son.
Square12

Postby Dotsie » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:33 am

Because they don't care? And why should they ;)
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Dotsie » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:33 am

Why can't you wear white after Labor Day?
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:39 pm

Quatermass wrote:

Chimbley = Chimney
Pacific = Specific

Etc.

Like my mum insists that 'mayor' is pronounced like 'mare' rather than 'may-or'. It gets to the point where everytime she corrects me, I say a 'mare' is what a stallion [EFF!]s.

It still bugs me!
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Bouncy Castle

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:07 pm

There is an answer - ignorance! My ex used to say "pacific" instead of specific and it drove me mad!
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:28 pm

Our accountant (RIP) used to say "that will be suffice".

Again. Drove me potty.

Bouncy Castle

Postby Catch-up » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:08 pm

Quatermass wrote:

Chimbley = Chimney
Pacific = Specific

Etc.

You do not say that to your mother!! :shock:
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Catch-up » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:11 pm

Dotsie wrote:Why can't you wear white after Labor Day?

You can now. I know it used to be a fashion rule, but not sure why. Maybe because white is/was considered a warm weather color? Then they came up with "winter white" which was just an off white. :roll: And as far as I know the rule has been ditched altogether.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
Catch-up

Postby Catch-up » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:18 pm

Square12 wrote:Why do non Brits have such difficulty in understanding that the whole island is not called England and that furthermore there is no such thing as a "British accent"

Dotsie wrote:Because they don't care? And why should they ;)

:lol: Well, we do care, sort of. We mostly just don't care enough to overcome the laziness. So we may say "England" just because that's what most of the island is or that's what's usually being referred to at the moment. Just like someone else might say America instead of North America, I guess. The accent thing though... really you'd need a very good knowledge of all the different areas and accents there, which is hard to do if you don't live there. So, yeah, I guess that's a don't care one, but not in a mean way. It's the same as people saying "American accent". They don't say, Midwest American, Southern American, etc. Because we really don't expect someone else to care about that. Well, unless you're from Texas. They might care.
Catch-up

Postby TinatheConfused » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:49 pm

Catch-up wrote:
Dotsie wrote:Why can't you wear white after Labor Day?

You can now. I know it used to be a fashion rule, but not sure why. Maybe because white is/was considered a warm weather color? Then they came up with "winter white" which was just an off white. :roll: And as far as I know the rule has been ditched altogether.

Very silly Victorian rule. Never really figured it out, except that "dust" as in dry dirt can be gotten out of a hem and mud cannot. The other thing which pops into my head is that People who wear completely white clothes often do ZERO amount of work themselves. My ex husband is a perfect example. White baseball cap (must not be a skull fitting cap), White Polo shirt, White undies, White shorts, White socks, White shoes. All of these must be spotless at all times. When and where he was born (Missouri, 1940, Tenant farmer) they were treated worse than Black or immigrant folk. So He compensated, I learned a lot about washing EFF'ING white clothes extremely well.
Vampires have risen from the dead, the grave and the crypt, but have never managed it from the cat. ~ Witches Abroad
TinatheConfused

Postby TinatheConfused » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:02 pm

Catch-up wrote:
Square12 wrote:Why do non Brits have such difficulty in understanding that the whole island is not called England and that furthermore there is no such thing as a "British accent"

Dotsie wrote:Because they don't care? And why should they ;)

:lol: Well, we do care, sort of. We mostly just don't care enough to overcome the laziness. So we may say "England" just because that's what most of the island is or that's what's usually being referred to at the moment. Just like someone else might say America instead of North America, I guess. The accent thing though... really you'd need a very good knowledge of all the different areas and accents there, which is hard to do if you don't live there. So, yeah, I guess that's a don't care one, but not in a mean way. It's the same as people saying "American accent". They don't say, Midwest American, Southern American, etc. Because we really don't expect someone else to care about that. Well, unless you're from Texas. They might care.

Oh, folk from Texas would care a LOT. Just because... Nebraska is actually the most "Accent Neutral" state. Johnny Carson was a writer/comedian from there and he was chosen for the tonight show for his "lack of accent" so that the show would appear completely unbiased.

Hell's Bells, I know there are different nations in the British Isles, and I treasure each and every bloody accent, although truth be told I probably couldn't tell you What they were talking aboot. In New YAWK and Philly, there are completely different accents from each neighborhood. It has been in a show on PBS depicting how accents and "words" which were invented here to explain things to many nationalities. Unfortunately, those who think you all live on one BIG England Island are probably the same people who cannot find North America on a globe.
Vampires have risen from the dead, the grave and the crypt, but have never managed it from the cat. ~ Witches Abroad
TinatheConfused

Next

Return to The Broken Drum