The best job you've had?

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

The best job you've had?

Postby Penfold » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:18 am

There are some real horror stories on the 'worst job' thread so I hope that this goes someway towards balancing things up.

My best job was actually moonlighting, unpaid, as a Ranger at a game lodge in South Africa for free food and accommodation. It was hard work, only going to bed after the last guest had done so but the sense of satisfaction and environment more than made up for the long hours. The look on people's faces when they encountered their first close up sight of a truly wild animal (be it giraffe, lion, elephant, etc.) left me feeling uplifted. I was also bush clearing for them which involved working long hours in the field with herds of wildebeest and giraffe walking among us. I don't think I ever slept so well or had such feelings of well-being anywhere else. :D

http://www.matumigamelodge.co.za/accommodation.html (It's had different owners and seems to have been upgraded quite a bit since I was there. :lol: )
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Re: The best job you've had?

Postby Square12 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:04 am

Wow sounds like an awesome experience penners.

I guess mine would have to be the two jobs that I've worked at the longest, repping, although there were moments that I was in tears doing it but seeing as I got to live in other countries and paid to do it, most bars gave us discounts if not free drinks, I got free ski and snowboard lessons, equipment hire and season lift pass, some places restaurants gave you a free meal, in Corfu one restaurant NEVER let me pay for anything, so I gave them my tv when I left the island. I got to visit the Sahara
Including the Star Wars set for free!
And rode a camel on my birthday:
I got to go on a day trip to Albania and another to morocco for free, roman ruins, dolphin spotting boat trips, performing in cabarets, organising quizzes.
If you can fill the unforgiving minute,
With sixty seconds worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a man my son.
Square12

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:25 am

I think I hate you. ;)
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby The Mad Collector » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:01 am

My best job was probably when I seconded to a Swedish company for 9 months and was provided with an apartment in the centre of Stockholm. The job was running an international development team producing an IT system to track road and rail transport for the largest food wholesaler in Scandanavia. The team was great, the city was/is beautiful, I had a great time and as I was living on expenses all the time I was able to come home and buy a Saab convertible for cash with what I'd saved from my salary :D

P.S. In case you're wondering I don't count running a teddy bear shop as work :D
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:07 am

The Mad Collector wrote:My best job was probably when I seconded to a Swedish company for 9 months and was provided with an apartment in the centre of Stockholm. The job was running an international development team producing an IT system to track road and rail transport for the largest food wholesaler in Scandanavia. The team was great, the city was/is beautiful, I had a great time and as I was living on expenses all the time I was able to come home and buy a Saab convertible for cash with what I'd saved from my salary :D

P.S. In case you're wondering I don't count running a teddy bear shop as work :D

Maybe because it would be a bear faced lie. ;) :whistle: :whistle:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Square12 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:23 am

Sorry forgot to include the other one which is the one that I'll be going back to in July, teaching English in Broadstairs, Kent at Kent School of English. In the morning I teach mixed nationality teens how to abuse our language then in the afternoons they do various cultural/sporting activities and we have to supervise, activities include watching a latest blockbuster film at the cinema, karaoke, disco, sports, bowling, Canterbury tour, which we have to give the information, London tour likewise and usually Westminster on a Saturday! We had a group of students once from Serbia one of whom was reading pTerry books and he explained that GG! loses a lot in translation as
Spoiler: show
they have no gender neutral conjugation of the first person so as soon as the dragon speaks you know it's a female
If you can fill the unforgiving minute,
With sixty seconds worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a man my son.
Square12

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:51 am

:lol: Italians had a similar problem as Death, in the early books was female.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby majomull » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:43 pm

The best job I ever had was working for a plant nursery and garden center on Cape Cod in the late 80's. I learned a great deal about plants and flowers, sold rhododendrons to Christopher Walken and lived across the street from a beach. Good times.
Whiskey is sunlight held together with water.
majomull

Postby Loopyc » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:10 pm

Cleaning holiday boats one summer with a friend :D roof off the boats and radio on - we also got to take home things that were left on board like toilet rolls and washing up liquid ( nothing valuable obviously) we were hard up and easily pleased :D
Loopyc

Postby Dotsie » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:48 pm

The job I've got now. I get paid for doing science. I win! :lol:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Catch-up » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:03 pm

Not as cool as any of the above (Jeez Square! You're a tough act to follow. :D ). But, two of my favorite jobs were the last two I had before deciding to stay home when Thing 1 was born. The first was assisting a construction manager. It was just the two of us, in a satellite office, completely removed from office politics. Very laid back! I knew what needed to be done, he didn't care when I did it, so I could have flexible hours, go to appointments, etc. He made the final decision on contractors so we were always getting sent all kinds of goodies, food baskets, etc. He would hardly keep anything and insist I take the rest home. I was soooo disappointed when he got transferred to another state. :(

When the company down the hall found out he was being transferred they asked if I wanted to be the office manager for them. Again, laid back environment, fun people to work with. It was a Belgian company so someone was always coming or going from there and I always got a box of chocolates from Belgium. :D They developed rapid prototyping software for both medical and technical applications. The medical was the coolest! And one of the best parts of the job was hearing from a surgeon about how the software helped a patient, or how a University in Scotland was using it to find out more about a mummy. Fun stuff! :D

Almost makes me want to get a job again. Almost.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby janet » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:29 pm

Guessing that wasn't pregnancy testing Susanne? Wonder if the University in Scotland was where my brother lectures in Medical Research?
Just to be boring, my best job ever is what I do now......jobbing gardener/ocassional light landscaping...... often wet, cold, frustating, exhausting but NEVER unrewarding or dull. Lots of fresh air and sometimes sunshine. Wildlife to commune with....aaah :D
The best SALARIED job I ever had was at a Working Farm Museum in Shropshire for a summer season (March to October) as Senior Warden and Mad will know the one I mean. It was brilliant! Lousy pay, out in all weathers, smelly animals to work with, the general public (NO!!) I LOVED every minute without a word of a lie :lol:
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby Ghost » Wed May 01, 2013 4:42 am

kind of jealous of you lot I've never been good enough at anything to really enjoy it
Ooh you cheeky little sea winkle
Ghost

Postby Loopyc » Wed May 01, 2013 4:48 am

Ghost wrote:kind of jealous of you lot I've never been good enough at anything to really enjoy it

You just haven't found your thing yet! Keep the faith :P
Loopyc

Postby chillicamper » Wed May 01, 2013 5:52 am

In my worst job post, it sounded like the tree surgery/forestry was all bad - but it wasn't I had the best time and loved it.

One of the best places I worked was when I was still training as a tree surgeon. I worked with a contractor at Painshill Park http://www.painshill.co.uk/ This was in 1988/89 not long after the great storm. The park was neglected and they were gradually clearing unsafe trees to renovate the park. They were also mapping and cateloging all the amazing trees. Every day you would clear through the fallen trees and suddenly come across another rare surviving tree :D :D There were islands on the lake that could only be reached by usung an old metal punt. We had to cut logs on the island than use the punt to transort them back to the yard to season and sell. The park is an absolutely beautiful place to visit if you have a chance.

A few year later I worked as a maintenance contractor for a chap who wrote the songs for Tom Jones (its not unusual, Delilah etc). He and his wife were so down to earth and always had a cuppa ready. He gave me a little shetland pony that lived at the bottom of the garden because his grandkids weren't interested and he didn't want it to be lonely!

His wife would also get calls from Tom Jones to have a chat, and if she was walking round their garden discussing the planting etc, she would tell Tom to call later as she was busy discussing plants with her gardener! :D
Wooden stuff at www.iwoodlovethat.co.uk
chillicamper

Next

Return to The Broken Drum