A Home For £1

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

A Home For £1

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:22 pm

Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Re: A Home For £1

Postby The Mad Collector » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:41 pm

I know that area well as I used to work just down the road, the houses are actually pretty solid but it's a deprived area of a deprived town and they will each need at least £20,000 spending on them still it's well worth a go if you fit the requirements.
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Will of Lancre » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:26 am

It seems a well thought out initiative. The council has taken precautions to prevent the houses being bought up by speculators. If enough people buy there, it could revive the area. But it does require a few brave souls to be the first to buy while it is still run-down.

The estate agent they interviewed reflects all that is wrong with the UK house market. He assumes it is a terrible burden being "forced" to stay in the same house for 5 whole years. Instead, presumably, of trading up. But if people stay there and make friends they may even want to stay longer than 5 years.
A hoho, which is like a haha only deeper
Will of Lancre

Postby Square12 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:57 am

How is it a burden? In the 32 years that I've been alive my parents have only ever lived in 3 different houses one move in 85 next in 93!
If you can fill the unforgiving minute,
With sixty seconds worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a man my son.
Square12

Postby Catch-up » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:08 pm

Many people now have the mindset (at least over here) that you first buy a "starter house" that you don't intend to live in for more than 5 years, then you move up to something bigger. When did it become a big deal for kids to share a room? I love our house and I can't think of a single reason to move, even if the girls have to share until they're 20.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Square12 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:36 pm

When we got too old to share, we didn't move house we just had an extension built
If you can fill the unforgiving minute,
With sixty seconds worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a man my son.
Square12

Postby Catch-up » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:01 pm

That's something we'd consider doing.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:58 am

I think this is the difference between a house and a home. A house is somewhere you can happily move from after a couple of years, but a home is far more permanent and a place you want to stay put in. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby jaeger » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:37 pm

Catch-up wrote:Many people now have the mindset (at least over here) that you first buy a "starter house" that you don't intend to live in for more than 5 years, then you move up to something bigger. When did it become a big deal for kids to share a room? I love our house and I can't think of a single reason to move, even if the girls have to share until they're 20.
I spent 22 years in the forces, we moved house 13 times ! Some overseas. Like Catch-up . . . I see no problem in the kids sharing a room.
I do see the "Start Up" home thingy (seems to be a uk thing, 1st foot on the ladder) . . . . But having said that . . . We too are now firmly rooted.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, naked, drunk and on fire screaming YEEHAAW ! . . . .
jaeger

Return to The Broken Drum