Some things are not universal after all

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Some things are not universal after all

Postby baruch menachem » Sat May 09, 2009 12:57 am

We all know DEATH from Terry Pratchett. He is very old, as he has been part of western civilization since, well, forever.

However, things are done differently in other parts of the world. Meet the Japanese Anthropomorphic Personification of DEATH.

Here name is Botan, and she is quite different from the way things are seen in the west. Like in the west, she conveys folks across the river to the afterlife, and the thing she is riding is an oar.

I think she is kind of cute. But I am not anxious to meet up with her.
It would be a mistake to think that they weren't also dangerous, just because reading them didn't make fireworks go off in the sky. Reading them sometimes did the more dangerous trick of making fireworks go off in the privacy of the reader's brain.
baruch menachem

Postby Tonyblack » Sat May 09, 2009 1:43 am

I read somewhere that Death is female in Italy as well. If you Google "death personified" you'll get a Wiki with a whole list of various versions of Death around the world - including (I didn't know this) the Welsh Death:
To the Welsh he is Angeu and Ankou to Bretons. He is regarded as a man in a hooded robe (invariably black) sometimes carrying a scythe.

I thought his name was Dai... :lol:

I'd put a link to the page, but it wouldn't work as they've included brackets in the url. :roll:

Whoever wrote it has obviously never heard of Terry as they've not included the DW Death in the "popular culture" section.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby poohbcarrot » Sat May 09, 2009 3:21 am

Botan is actually the Japanese Death's grand daughter. The actual Japanese Death has gone off to find himself and is currently playing pachinko in Osaka, followed by karaoke, a sushi dinner and a visit to a hostess bar. :lol:

Death's assistant, Arberto has gone to look for him. :D
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sat May 09, 2009 11:57 am

:lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby BaronBreton » Sat May 09, 2009 9:17 pm

(from the Bretons ^^)

Botan is a shinigami (a god of death), we can also see this in other mangas like Death Note and Bleach...

But yes, she's indeed the japanese cousin of Suzan !
« L'imaginaire n’est qu'une autre façon de voir la réalité. »

Le Vade-mecum, french website on The Discworld
BaronBreton

Re: Some things are not universal after all

Postby Trish » Sun May 10, 2009 11:51 am

She looks like Ysabell. All that pink....

baruch menachem wrote:Image
Trish

Postby Dotsie » Mon May 11, 2009 7:40 am

There might well be a bunny rabbit on the pocket of that kimono :wink:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Return to The Broken Drum