Summer Time

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Summer Time

Postby The Mad Collector » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:48 pm

Sounds good to me WW :D
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:03 pm

Tonyblack wrote:Always good to see you, Natalya! I think your English is very good indeed. :D

To be honest, I don't know why we still bother with daylight savings. Britain has experimented with doing away with it on a few occasions, but we keep coming back to it.

Makes a big difference up here in the Winter, Tony
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby TinatheConfused » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:38 pm

Tonyblack wrote:Oddly enough, the State of Arizona doesn't change its clocks. I think all the other US states do. And the US states put their clocks forward three weeks ago.

AZ and One tiny county in Indiana do not change their clocks. :shrug: Whaddya gonna do?
Vampires have risen from the dead, the grave and the crypt, but have never managed it from the cat. ~ Witches Abroad
TinatheConfused

Postby Jo of the Gates » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:13 am

What is the purported purpose of Daylight Savings Time? It doesn't give anyone any more daylight than they had before, except maybe outdoor laborers who supposedly now can work more hours before sunset. But since farmers et al work "from sun to sun" as the old saying goes, what difference does it make?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
--Douglas Adams
Jo of the Gates

Postby raptornx01 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:52 am

I think it's more to do with the businesses the farmers deal with. place that open and close at specific times.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:39 am

Well up here it befits the Farmers, and also the school kids who would have to travel while still very dark in the Winter mornings as some walk to school, it gets lighter about 9am and starts to get dark around 3:30pm.

In the Summer time sunrise about 4:30 am and at Midnight you can see the last of the sunset disapearing over the horizon. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Who's Wee Dug on Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Batty » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:44 am

British Summer Time (Daylight Saving), was brought in to help the farmers, so that they wouldn't have to lamb or tend to their animals in the dark.
After all, if it wasn't for them, this country would have HUGE problems!
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Penfold » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:54 am

Here's a brief historical account for UK Summer Time and how it came about. :D

http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.co.uk/dayl ... lletts.htm
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby wicked woman » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:05 pm

Batty wrote:British Summer Time (Daylight Saving), was brought in to help the farmers, so that they wouldn't have to lamb or tend to their animals in the dark.
After all, if it wasn't for them, this country would have HUGE problems!

If lambs are anything like babies they are more likely to come at night anyway. :roll:
Of all the forces in the universe, the hardest to overcome is the force of habit. Gravity is easy-peasy by comparison.
wicked woman

Postby Del » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:09 pm

Quatermass wrote:
michelanCello wrote:It's not everywhere? :shock:

Not in Queensland, anyway. We know what it is. We just don't care. :?

Really Q??????? BLOODY stupidphone thinks it knows better though!

Did your phone reset an hour BACK??? even though we dont have daylight savings?

My stupidphone can make a cloud appear on my phone when ONE cloud is overhead of me (neat!)... it can tell me the ambient temperature in my SUBURB accurately and advise me that the road just two streets over has a traffic delay... but it turned the bloody time back an hour when we dont HAVE daylight savings... Got to the supermarket with five minutes to spare to buy all the ingredients for a mega birthday cake for a friend I had invited over for lunch today! Grrrrrrr.
Just keep swimming... just keep swimming.. just keep swimming....
Del

Postby Jo of the Gates » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:26 pm

Gotta love the 24-hour markets!

My town of fewer than 10,000 people has TWO 24-hour supermarkets!
This is not said with pride, but rather with a sad, bemused shake of the head. Do we really need 2 huge stores open 'round the clock, burning lights, heating or cooling how many thousands of square feet of space, for the handful of folks who need, for whatever reason, to shop at 3 in the morning?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
--Douglas Adams
Jo of the Gates

Postby raptornx01 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:44 pm

let me guess, super wal-marts?
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Jo of the Gates » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:43 pm

Right on one count (how did you ever guess?) The other is an employee-owned regional franchise in competition with the big W.
--Douglas Adams
Jo of the Gates

Postby Square12 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:44 am

When I worked in Tunisia, their government decided to have an almighty laugh at everyone's expense. Previously they hadn't been observing dst, but with less than a fortnights notice they decided the clocks would change! Oh how we laughed when we had to make sure every single guest knew that their flight tickets were now one hour out! Oh how we laughed when one particularly vile and obnoxious gentleman strolled up 5 minutes before what he thought was the check in closing time!
If you can fill the unforgiving minute,
With sixty seconds worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a man my son.
Square12

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:49 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum