What made you smile today? 7

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: What made you smile today? 7

Postby Catch-up » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:14 pm

We're getting new gutters this spring, but the quote I got was from a year ago. I assumed it would be more now and called them for a new quote, but the cost is the same! :shock: :D Plus, they've got 3x more colors to choose from than they had last year. We're just waiting to get the samples, then we can have the work done. :D
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby The Mad Collector » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:43 pm

Just been told that my brother got engaged over the weekend. :D

I wonder if he would like a teddy bear as a wedding present ;)
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby wicked woman » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:34 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:
Working this morning with my friend the tree surgeon ...

Read that as "Woke up this morning with my friend the tree surgeon".

:shock: :lol:

:shock: Bouncy!!!
Of all the forces in the universe, the hardest to overcome is the force of habit. Gravity is easy-peasy by comparison.
wicked woman

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:38 pm

wicked woman wrote:
Bouncy Castle wrote:

:shock: :lol:

:shock: Bouncy!!!

Maybe Bouncy decided to branch out on his limb. :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:50 pm

There wasn't just one bloke, there were tree fellers. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:53 pm

I suppose it would do her good to air her bush. :lol:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Cheery » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:21 pm

Tonyblack wrote:There wasn't just one bloke, there were tree fellers. :lol:

It's pun time again!! :mrgreen:

What made me smile today was logging on and seeing all your wonderful answers on the frustration thread :D

Also, I am really enjoying the new Doctor Who series. Haven't had so much fun watching it for a long while! Loving Jenna Louise Coleman so far! She's like a breath of fresh air ^^. I was especially happy when I spotted Lord Downey on the sovjet submarine :P

It's amazing what seeing your favorite TV show can do for your mood. :lol:
Cheery

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:17 pm

Nothing wrong with a little pun Cheery, but I will leaf it alone for now. :mrgreen:
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Square12 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:44 pm

You were going out on a limb with that one dug, maybe you should branch out into other forms of humour?
If you can fill the unforgiving minute,
With sixty seconds worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a man my son.
Square12

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:02 pm

Square12 wrote:You were going out on a limb with that one dug, maybe you should branch out into other forms of humour?

You're a bit late with that one SQ12.
by Who's Wee Dug » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:38 pm

wicked woman wrote:
Bouncy Castle wrote:

Bouncy!!!
Maybe Bouncy decided to branch out on his limb.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Square12 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:16 pm

Sorry it fell on deaf ears the first time but I'm glad you twigged!
If you can fill the unforgiving minute,
With sixty seconds worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a man my son.
Square12

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:57 am

This is getting to be a-corn-y thread. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Mycroft Vimes » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:16 am

:D
'It's just like crop circles. No matter how many aliens own up to making them, there are always a few diehards who believe that humans go out with garden rollers in the middle of the night-'
Mycroft Vimes

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:20 pm

Tonyblack wrote:This is getting to be a-corn-y thread. :lol:

Ear Ear. :mrgreen:
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Catch-up » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:42 pm

:lol: I haven't seen that in a long time!

Well, Thing 2 has been giving me a run for my money lately. Last month she was genuinely out sick for a few days. Sent her back to school and at the end of that first week back I get a call that she's in the office not feeling well and she told the teacher she had diarrhea. I felt awful that she was sick again, and at school. Picked her up, this was a Thursday, kept her home Friday too. Except for a slight fever on Thursday, she seemed fine the rest of the week and weekend, during which she mentions to me, "Do you know that if you have diarrhea, the teachers don't have to go in the bathroom and check?" (I'll spare you the details of why we typically verify this claim at home.) I thought, uh-oh. So she goes back to school on Monday, and on Tuesday I get the same call - after they've had their field trip to the pizzeria of course. So now I'm getting suspicious. There's just an hour left in the day so I took in some medicine for her, which she very reluctantly took. She didn't seem sick and could not believe that I was making her stay at school.

So she gets home from school that day and is kind of emotional, ends up having a big upset. When she settles down and we're talking, I ask her if there's any chance that she fibbed about being sick that day, maybe because she missed me or just wanted to be home. She bursts into tears and admits that she fibbed. Later when she's calm, she casually tells me that she fibbed the first time too. So I think, ok, we're done with that now.

Well, last week I got another call from the office! I had filled in her teacher and the ladies in the office about what was going on. She totally had all of us fooled that first time. Lana from the office is actually laughing when she calls and tells me that Vivian is in the office, has just told her teacher (a substitute) that she's had diarrhea 3 times that day. Again, it's in the afternoon with about an hour left of school. So, they put her on the phone and I come right out and say that I thought we were done fibbing about this kind of thing. "But MOM, I'm NOT fibbing this time, it's true!" I ask her if she remembers the story about the boy who called wolf, "Yes mom, I KNOW! My teacher already read me that story." I tell her there's just an hour left, stay at school and see how things go. "Are you SURE mom? Do you REALLY want to risk infecting the other children?" All said very calmly and rationally as if she's just arguing a case - which she was. I think the ladies in the office were rolling on the floor laughing, listening to her end of the conversation. So then I offer to bring her in some medicine, just in case. "No, that won't work. That medicine didn't work for me the last time you brought it in." I remind her that she was fibbing that time, "Oh, yeah. Well, I really think you should come pick me up." I tell her if I have to come pick her up and she's really sick, then she can't go to grandma's the next day (hubby's mom) because we can't risk infecting her (she's on oxygen for COPD, which she definitely DID NOT get from smoking like a chimney nearly her entire life, she got it because one time, back in the 60's she used a REALLY toxic paint thinner :roll: ). "Weeeellll, I think I might be ok to get through the rest of the day." :roll: I have to smile about this, so that I don't crack.

This week she discovered that we have some chapstick that's a little bit sparkly. She wanted to wear it to school and I told her that was fine. She put some on, looks at me and asks me if I can see it. I tell her yes I can see it, very pretty. "The boys are totally going to be staring at me in school today." :shock: She's eight!! I didn't say anything to that, hoping it wouldn't come up again. Then I pick her up from school, "At least four boys stared at me in the hallway today because I was wearing my new, sparkly lip stuff." I told her she was too young to worry about boys staring, not that I believe 8 year old boys care about sparkly lip stuff. They probably keep a close eye on her all the time because she's got a temper and 2 years of martial arts training.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum