What made you smile today? 7

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: What made you smile today? 7

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:12 pm

chillicamper wrote:Love the smurf story Del :lol: :lol: :lol:

Great news about the PPI Janet

What made me smile (yesterday actually) was finally getting my hands dirty and planting some seeds. As well as the usual Tomatoes & Chillis, this year I am experimenting with some more unusual ones - Quinoa, Inca berries, Goji Berries and tomatillos - should be interesting! :think:

Tomatillos are great in guacamole. I use them all the time when I'm in Tucson. The funny thing is the people in the supermarket often don't know what they are and I've had one rung up as a brussel sprout before now. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:20 pm

Tony's Guacamole Recipe.

4 fairly ripe avocados
1 large onion
garlic
4 limes
2 large jalapenos
1 large tomatillo

Dice the onion and finely chop the garlic (I use about 4 - cloves of garlic). Chop the tomatillo and jalapenos into smallish pieces (it depends on how smooth or chunky you want the guacamole). Add the juice of the four limes and stir well. add the avocado and then mash the whole thing until you get the desired consistency.

Eat with tortilla chips.

I created this recipe myself and it has had a whole lot of praise - even from Latinos! It has much more of a kick than ordinary guacamole due to the jalapenos and lime juice. ;)
Tonyblack

Postby Ghost » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:22 pm

I had a clear out and reorganise of my clothes and I threw a pile of jeans out without looking through them because I thought I had gotten a bit too big for them :( :( then I found my old interview trousers and on a whim tried them on perfect fit :D so with that thought in mind I fished my old jeans back out of the bin bag and two of them fitted perfectly and one a bit snug but almost breathable :dance: :dance: so it looks like I get away with not going jeans shopping for at least another year
Waxing is not a cure for lycanthropy
Ghost

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:49 pm

:D That's great!
Tonyblack

Postby Ghost » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:59 pm

because I'm so short I usually have to get my jeans and trousers altered to fit even though I get a centre discount it's still pain to do because not only the extra cost I have to rope in some poor sod to pin them for me
Waxing is not a cure for lycanthropy
Ghost

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:28 pm

Saves you some money ghost, I know the feeling I was in one of my favorite clothes shops today, not that I go in them a lot but as I was in the area, but I could not find a leg length in the waist size I wanted :roll: I normally get longer ones and shorten them myself. :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:35 pm

Hey Chilli! Going back to your post - did you know that this years is the International Year of Quinoa? :D
Tonyblack

Postby janet » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:21 pm

Batty wrote:Image Love it! Image

The sentence was brilliant Hayden, but the smurfs kicked out all the serfs! Well good for them!
Let's face it, the serfs were probably just a little bit boring :lol:

Working this morning with my friend the tree surgeon who very kindly offered me the loan of his No2 lawnmower until I can find a suitable one to purchase. Involved a 50 mile round trip up the dale to collect it and he'd changed his mind when I got there so I now have his No 1 lawnmower! Method behind his madness is that it's the same make as the one i have which died so I'm up to speed with using it AND it's been giving him no end of trouble so if it blows up (again!!) he doesn't have the anxiety :lol: It's a different model to mine, is self-driven (I wish!) and has a roller so it does stripes. All my clients are going to want STRIPES now.....aagh! It's also about twice the size and weight of mine so just about killed me this afternoon. When you're young you can work till you ache all over, have a nice bath and wake up feeling OK in the morning. After a while you get stronger, ache less and grow fitter. That's the bugger about getting old. It's not like that any more :(

Talked up a storm about lawnmowers and my friend and I both decided that Briggs and Stratton engines are not for us any longer. In case our opinions of the modern B&S engines (no longer the reliable product made in the UK and watchword for quality) are libellous, I will refrain from stating them here. Suffice to say, I intend to try for a decent, affordable Honda mower this time!! They are out there. Finding one might be interesting.
Huge investment is a lawnmower!
Jeez, I could bore for Britain about them :whistle:

Chilli and Catchup, I'm aching to get some seeds sown but we've had some hard frosts over a few nights recently so I'll bide my time for a few days. Peas are still my favourite things. Beets too (have you come across golden and candy-striped ones Susanne? Yummy and pretty!) and lots of green beans and carrots. I've a big garden but not much time in it so I only grow things we love to eat and which are hard to find or very dear to buy. Not trying to grow potatoes after last year...oh dear!

Tony, your recipe sounds like something I might try one day. I've never got the point of avocados (or aubergines!!) on their own but in guacamole they're lovely.
Does anyone else think a thread for recipes would be good?
Last edited by janet on Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby Catch-up » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:48 pm

Tony, thanks for posting the recipe again. I've saved it and am definitely going to try it. We just do avocado, lemon juice, garlic and tomatoes. Good, but not exciting.

Yay for jeans that fit Ghost! :D I got up the nerve to try on a couple pair of capris today, since it's warming up. They still fit! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:09 pm

janet wrote:
Tony, your recipe sounds like something I might try one day. I've never got the point of avocados (or aubergines!!) on their own but in guacamole they're lovely.
Does anyone else think a thread for recipes would be good?

I thought we had one already, but I haven't been able to find it. :?

I think it's a great idea. :D
Tonyblack

Postby janet » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:31 pm

There is a 'What are you having for dinner' thread somewhere or words to that effect.
I also remember trying to post my recipe for mushroom soup (or shoup for Cohen the Barbarian) somewhere but it disappeared into the ether. Probably my computer....ran out of steam.
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby Catch-up » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:27 am

janet wrote:Chilli and Catchup, I'm aching to get some seeds sown but we've had some hard frosts over a few nights recently so I'll bide my time for a few days. Peas are still my favourite things. Beets too (have you come across golden and candy-striped ones Susanne? Yummy and pretty!) and lots of green beans and carrots. I've a big garden but not much time in it so I only grow things we love to eat and which are hard to find or very dear to buy. Not trying to grow potatoes after last year...oh dear!

I did actually order the seeds for the golden beets! :D It was hard choosing between those and the stripy ones. If these do well, I'll try the striped ones next time. We've had a couple of frosts recently too. I'm going to wait a little longer to plant the lettuce and spinach. We tried growing potatoes one year too. Wasn't all that happy with the results. What happened with yours?
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby chillicamper » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:50 am

Tonyblack wrote:Hey Chilli! Going back to your post - did you know that this years is the International Year of Quinoa? :D

Well.....whodda thought that eh! :lol:

janet wrote:
Talked up a storm about lawnmowers and my friend and I both decided that Briggs and Stratton engines are not for us any longer. In case our opinions of the modern B&S engines (no longer the reliable product made in the UK and watchword for quality) are libellous, I will refrain from stating them here. Suffice to say, I intend to try for a decent, affordable Honda mower this time!! They are out there. Finding one might be interesting.
Huge investment is a lawnmower!
Jeez, I could bore for Britain about them :whistle:

Not trying to grow potatoes after last year...oh dear!

Janet - I agree with the B&S engines - unfortunately Honda wins everytime - even going back a few years when i was still swinging chainsaws and mowers around, Honda was more reliable than B&S. Don't worry about boring talk re garden equipment - I could bore for England about chainsaws. Still got my favourite chainsaw I ever owned - a Husqvarna 262XP with an 18 inch guide bar. ;) :roll: One of the first with an easy clean air filter. It still cuts really well and it nearly 15 years old!

And potatoes - yup can be a pain - I don't grow them every year. Have you tried potatoes brown in bags or old tyres> Easier than digging but it uses a lot of soil/compost to fill the bags. If you use old tyres, fill the actual tyre with straw to save on soil. Then stack 2 up and fill with soil and plant the spuds. When the leaves poke through by 4-6 inches, stack on another tyre and top up with soil. It does the same as mounding them up in the ground - encourages nodules to grow where the leaves were and these become more spuds. Continue to do this with 2 or 3 more tyres and you have a decent stack of spuds growing. To harvest, just tip over on to a tarp and pick up the tatties. :D
Wooden stuff at www.iwoodlovethat.co.uk
chillicamper

Postby Joolz » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:01 am

After a horrible day yesterday...A blast in the local with a brilliant gig by Vice Squad :D
Tune the world out, turn the radio up
Sing along to my freedom song
Joolz

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:05 pm

Working this morning with my friend the tree surgeon ...

Read that as "Woke up this morning with my friend the tree surgeon".

:shock: :lol:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum