How do you feel today? 5

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: How do you feel today? 5

Postby chris.ph » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:34 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:Good news about mum Con - hope she continues with a good recovery :clap:

Just heard from the kennels today that they're cough-free - trust it to be a bank holiday weekend as the traffic's horrendous down here and this place is an hours drive from us on a good day on the main tourist route :?

Might be able to spring Benji tomorrow but it's looking like next week now... :roll:

he can make friends with duke jan :D :D
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby michelanCello » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:48 pm

Awwawwaww!
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:29 pm

Awww - Duke's so sweet! :angelic-innocent: Another great dane chris?
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby raptornx01 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:21 am

Unsure.

My mom called earlier today. She had worked herself into a bit of panic because lately she has been forgetting things. like she knew there was something earlier in the week she was supposed to do, but still can't remember what it was, or she was supposed to call my brother, but had completely forgotten till later. She was scared she might have something serious like Alzheimers. she wanted to see a doctor, but had worked her self up so much she had forgotten how to do it (how to set up an appointment, all that stuff). thing about her is, she generally a calm, mellow person. not very emotional (unless she gets pissed about something). Freaking out is not something she does (and even here it was very low key, but enough for me to notice).

Now she is 66. and she does forget things. sometimes even forgetting something that happened only 10 or 15 minutes ago. But I don't know if its just age, or something more serious.

She did calm down as we talked, and My aunt called her while we were on the phone and said she would take her to see a doctor. I offered to go, but she said she would call me when she found out.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby =Tamar » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:00 am

It may not be so bad. People have begun yelling Alzheimer's for every little thing. I recently heard of a peculiar thing that happens when people are over-tired (which often happens when people get older and don't sleep so well) - parts of their brains go to sleep while the rest is still awake and seems normal, but when the part that is asleep involves judgement of a particular situation, a poor decision might be made, things are forgotten, etc. So the first thing to find out is how well or poorly she has been sleeping. That probably should include a real sleep test, not just asking her. People who have sleep apnea and wake up every minute all night long often think they are sleeping well. A certain amount of forgetfulness seems to be normal at that age, too. It's even been documented that, for instance, around the age of 40-45 just about everybody begins to have to go through the list of family names to get to the right one. Forming the habit of writing everything down can help. For what it's worth, I'm 65.
=Tamar

Postby Penfold » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:10 am

Just to echo what Tamar said. I have what I like to call "my senior moments" which includes forgetting how to transfer a telephone call which was something I had been doing every day for the past two years and not being able to remember a work colleagues name who I have been working in close contact with for the past year or so. I also found it very disturbing (and embarrassing) at the time but I'm also certain, on reflection, that their was probably nothing more sinister behind it other than a lack of proper sleeping patterns due to shift work. At least having a doctor's assessment should put your minds at ease though. :D

Incidentally, I'm turning 50 later this year.
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

Len Brook Photography
Penfold

Postby Dotsie » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:00 am

People who are stressed can't remember even simple information, for even a few seconds. It's a survival thing - your brain is trying to protect itself from distractions. So your poor mum could well be stressing about something caused by stress, which just makes it worse! Hopefully the doc will put her mind at rest :)

BTW if I didn't have lists, I wouldn't be able to get through the day.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:36 am

It's certainly true about the link between stress and lack of sleep - both physical and mental. When my husband got sleep apnea it got so bad his blood oxygen was down to around 25% for a little while and he was in danger of getting brain damage, kept forgetting basic stuff as well as the breathing aspect and need supervision when he was driving 'cos he tended to nod off there too.

The latter caused me such stress during the day whenever we went out in the car, even for short journeys, that my sleep was severely affected even after he was diagnosed, as the noise of his CPAPP machine was as intrusive as his snoring (and his not snoring which simply meant he'd stopped breathing) which, coupled with work-related stress relegated him to house mate status and drove me mad for nearly 20 years and contributed to the breakdown and underlying depression that cost me my job. Also caused me to forget basic stuff and going around on auto pilot so much that I twice nearly walked under a bus at a busy crossing outside Charing Cross station and got into a real mess with decision-making tasks and relationships at work... :roll:

So it's not always Alzheimers, no matter how old you are - and if people reckon they don't snore a trip to sleep clinic is the best way to find out for certain! It saved Pete's life basically, because he'd have died 8 years ago without the diagnosis. Too late to save my sanity, but at least I get a decent night's sleep these days (moving out of the bedroom was the best thing ever for me and the marriage to be utterly brutal :twisted: )
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Bouncy Castle » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:46 am

Cold - stinking.
Cough - rotten.

Just right for the bank holiday weekend. At least I have 3 days to get over it. :roll:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:06 pm

I have real swiss-cheese memory, it's so full of holes that there are whole sections of my life that I have no memory of. I'm always (these days) going to do something and then standing there not having a clue what I was supposed to be doing. I leave notes for myself all over the place. Getting older is not for the faint hearted.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby raptornx01 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:08 pm

Thanks all.

I knew the doctor thing was her just getting worked up. I hadn't considered sleep. She's never had what you would call a healthy sleep pattern. Often during the week only getting 5-6 hours a night (well, i SAY night. she'll usually go to sleep like 7 in the morning or later and get up 1:30pm for work at 2pm.) then sleeping away most of her days off. sometimes she won't sleep at all. for as long as I can remember it wasn't uncommon for her to go to work without sleeping at all.

I mentioned notes to her. keeping a note pad on her at all times. and trying to stay calm. not to get worked up about things.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby ChristianBecker » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:12 pm

That DOES sound unhealthy. I know my memory plays tricks on me when I haven't slept well for a while. I've also had migraines which let me forget most of what I did around an hour before. I Hope it gets all sorted out soon and everything is well. → healing vibes to FL.

I feel quite happy myself. Had the last of my exams yesterday and looked up the unofficial solutions today. :D
Looks like I scored 85% in organic, inorganic and general (?) chemistry, 80% in biology (human, plant, systematics), 82,5% in physics, pharmaceutical formulation and technology and 74% in analytical methods. :D
On with their heads! I'm the clown prince of fools
if you don't get the joke it's your loss
Love and laughter you see are the new currency
'cause greed's coinage is not worth a toss

Exile yourself to the unforgiving continent of Wraeclast!
ChristianBecker

Postby Kin Arad » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:20 pm

I hope everything gets sorted soon raptorn. Hugs to your whole family.

Congratulations CB :D :clap:
“Wouldn’t that unplug your heating pad?”
Kin Arad

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:03 pm

Congratulations CB! :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby wicked woman » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:39 pm

Well done CB. Hope things get sorted with your mum Raptorn.

I'm feeling relieved, grandsons results were not as bad as i feared. Like to get my hands on the idiots who decided it was a good idea for him to do 18 GCSE's though, he got 11 grade C's. Might have done better with a lower workload.
Of all the forces in the universe, the hardest to overcome is the force of habit. Gravity is easy-peasy by comparison.
wicked woman

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum