I Say, You Say... (Accents and quirks)

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: I Say, You Say... (Accents and quirks)

Postby The Mad Collector » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:43 pm

So does this one:

John, whilst James had had "had", had had "had had"; "had had" had had a better mark from the English teacher. :D
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Sister Jennifer » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:39 am

:D Ah, my brain! Had to say that one out loud a few times.

Clever John.

I can't bloody remember which book exactly, but there was a funny bit in one of the Thursday Next novels where someone gets a fine or a telling off for using too many had had's in a sentence.
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby raptornx01 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:12 am

Catch-up wrote:Perhaps the "on line" thing is regional then. It seems that a lot of people from the east coast use it. Rap, are you originally from Florida?

Pretty much, yeah. wasn't born here, but lived here since i was 6mos old. It could be regional. but alot of the people I know are either from new york, new jersey, or pittsburgh (where most of the family is from).

Another one i Dunno if it's regional or not, but my grandfather was always Pap. and as far as I know, every grandfather in my family was called that by their grandkids.

Not a term I've heard used a whole lot.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby HANSOLOBIKER » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:36 am

Finally catching up on things! It would appear from the quiz that I come from Grand Rapids,Rochester or Honolulu! Interesting! I believe that may be the influence of a certain lady from Michigan!

When we lived in Amsterdam, we would get to travel around the Netherlands and on chatting to people on the train in Dutch, we would elicit an amused response. it took a while for us to understand that we spoke Dutch with an Amsterdam accent, which is a bit like talking English with a Cockney accent or a Bronx accent in America.

Since visiting the States, I have been teaching my Michigan friend how to speak with a Yorkshire dialect accent and she now speaks better Yorkshire than me! 'Appen as not as mebbe ar lass!
Last edited by HANSOLOBIKER on Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yan,tan,tether,mether,pip!Azer,sezar,akker,conter,dick!
A Swaledale shepherd counting his/her sheep.
HANSOLOBIKER

Postby Catch-up » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:56 pm

Sithee in August ar kid! :D
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Previous

Return to The Broken Drum