Minor Niggles

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Minor Niggles

Postby MrsWizzard » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:31 pm

That's funny. I just left my message on Facebook saying I was quitting it for two weeks before coming across this thread. :D One of my New Year's resolutions is to actually enjoy that short time after I've gotten all my problems taken care of, and it seems as soon as all my personal stress dissipates, I've got kind-of friends on Facebook getting me involved listening to and trying to do something for their life problems. I like to be a good person and help where I can, but geeze, can I get some time to worry about myself every now and then? :roll:

Facebook definitely sucks you in, and it's a pain how you can only deactivate your account, not delete it. I only keep it around honestly so it's something potential employers can look at and see I'm not a (totally) horrible person. :?
"Talk to the paw, mister, 'cos the whiskers don't want to know!!"
MrsWizzard

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:48 pm

You can delete your account - Google "deleting facebook account". I've done it myself. ;)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Catch-up » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:38 pm

Thanks Tony! I've bookmarked that, just in case.

MrsWizzard, when it comes to potential employers the best approach is usually to NOT have an online profile, unless it's strictly business related like LinkedIn.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Slantaholic » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:31 am

I think it depends on whether one is an introvert or an extrovert.
I'm an introvert and prefer social networks with pseudonyms and anonymity.
Slantaholic

Postby MrsWizzard » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:52 am

I've had friends who have been turned down for jobs for NOT having a facebook, because the person interviewing them can't find out what kind of person they're potentially hiring is. (Outside of the actual inteview) :?

Something another friend of mine did was make two accounts, one under her real name with nothing particularly interesting on it, just there for people to see, and one under a fake name she only shared with her friends so she could post whatever she wanted.
"Talk to the paw, mister, 'cos the whiskers don't want to know!!"
MrsWizzard

Postby Catch-up » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:56 pm

That has got to be illegal. :? Did they actually tell her that's why she was turned down? Sounds like she came up with a good solution. I'm not exactly going anonymous on FB, but hopefully this will limit searches a bit and allow me a little more control.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
Catch-up

Postby Penfold » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:30 am

I'm not sure it is illegal. I had to sign an agreement/contract extension that allows the company to sack me for gross misconduct if I say anything negative about them on social media websites. (This can also include criticising management for allowing in drunk customers, for example). I do wonder if this would stand up in a court of law, though, since this surely infringes on my human rights to freedom of speech provided that anything negative said was factual and not libellous in nature. :? (I have to be a bit careful just what I say on here since I believe at least one manager at my place looks in here from time to time.)
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Catch-up » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:38 am

I totally understand what you're saying Penfold. I know people have been fired for criticizing their place of employment online, and also for pictures or posts the company thought were in poor taste. I question the legality of it too, but haven't read about anyone taking it to court, so I don't know what the outcome was/would be. However, saying they won't hire you because you don't have a FB account they can look at? I feel pretty confident that's not legal, unless you're being hired for something that makes your presence in social media necessary, although I can't think what kind of a position that would be.
Catch-up

Postby janet » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:43 am

The whole issue of social media is turning into a major problem isn't it?
My brother and i tend to go our own way and only communicate to check we're still alive occasionally. However, we've had some pretty intense phone conversations over the holidays because he's being indicted for some unspecified misconduct by his place of work and he still doesn't know what he's supposed to have done. I can't go into details about his work and can only say it's rather highflying in the academic sector. Apparently, bullying is still perfectly acceptable and part of the system at this institution of learning :shock: So, what seemed like an ideal opportunity for my brother a couple of years ago, has turned into a nightmare :( This is a bit more than a minor niggle isn't it? :(
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby Bouncy Castle » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:33 am

The FB thing with the jobs is more (in my humble opinion) an indictment on the inability to do the job properly (ie, appraise the candidates) of the interviewer than it does on the suitability of the interviewees.

Sheesh.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Catch-up » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:35 am

Janet, so sorry about what your brother is going through. :(

Bouncy, well said!

FB - days 3, friends 4, duck faces 0.
Catch-up

Postby Ghost » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:58 pm

are you going duck hunting?
Ooh you cheeky little sea winkle
Ghost

Postby Penfold » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:46 pm

Having to go to work for one night only (7pm until 5am), right in the middle of a stretch of three days off in front and four afterwards, is a real pain as I have to switch around my entire body clock for this one night and then switch it back tomorrow. :evil:
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby The Mad Collector » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:08 pm

Odd nights are a killer Penners, I feel your pain having done it many times
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby chris.ph » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:09 pm

yes, but mad you were the other side of the table :whistle: :whistle:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum