Minor Niggles

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Minor Niggles

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:46 pm

Tesco are doing tiny, real, trees for three quid. Sorted.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Catch-up » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:59 pm

Penfold wrote:I know what you mean Susanne but at least I finally finished up what little prezzie shopping I had to do (everybody apart from my mum are getting leftovers from the exhibition :P ).

However, I was in town earlier to buy a new Christmas tree and getting a bit irate with the other shoppers who walked along the pavement without paying attention and randomly changed direction right into my path or just stopped sharply and without apparent reason right in front of me. (And in one case, one shopper managed to do both!) Pedestrians should be made to take a test and get a license before being allowed out! :lol: (I never did manage to find a tree that I liked either.)

Those will be great presents! :D Well, I failed to escape anything today. Perhaps I'll do better the rest of the week.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby raptornx01 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:31 am

I had done a simple video about a month and a half ago. A parody of 2001. Used the theme for it and uploaded it. immediatly upon upload it was flagged for copyright. That wasn't entirely unexpected, but i was confident I was on strong footing to fight it. the theme for 2001 is part of a piece by Richard Strauss written in the 1800's, thus is in the public domain. But even if they tried to argue the point, The video would still fall under the parody clause of the fair use section of the copyright code.

But there was a problem, it wasn't flagged as anything related to 2001, the claim said it was a piece called "Made in U.S.A" managed by some company I had never heard of before. You can dispute a copyright claim but all the options given to you are to acknowledge you used the music they are claiming and try to plead for your right to use it. There is no option for "That's not the music i used".

The way this stuff works is, some company uploads their movies, tv shows, music, etc to some server, and youtube has a bot that scans all uploaded videos and compares it to the database. if it finds a match, regardless of how small, it flags the video, and either removes it, or in most cases, monetizes it and sends out the ad revenue to the company that uploaded the stuff to their servers.

youtube then allows you to dispute the claim, once you dispute it, they send a note out to the company to look it over. and they have one month to respond. at the end of the month, the claim is revoked and you are free to use your video again.

Problem is there are companies that deliberately upload false stuff. and the way the system works, during that month, the company that is supposed to revue the claim, gets all the money the video earned, regardless of if it's over turned or not and the uploader doesn't see a dime of it.

For my video, they made me wait the entire month, until finally i was allowed to monetize it, but now, they are giving me the run around. it's been over a week now and they still haven't reviewed it.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:55 pm

Sounds a right pain in the wossis name raptorn.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Catch-up » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:49 pm

Really sorry about your video issues Rap. Sounds frustrating. :(

After visiting with friends from high school, I'm once again feeling pressured to join Facebook. I'm both tempted and repelled by the idea. Tempted, because it would make it easier to get together with people I might like to see, who simply seem not to communicate any other way. And repelling for all the obvious reasons. I've been here before and each time I pass on creating an account. But, I think I might actually go through with it this time. Just hoping I don't regret it if I do!
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
Catch-up

Postby chillicamper » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:58 pm

I resisted Facebook for a long time. Eventually I was nagged into it by my sister. So long as you don't go mad on the friend requests, I've found it actually a really useful way of keeping in touch with old friends who now live all over the world.
Wooden stuff at www.iwoodlovethat.co.uk
chillicamper

Postby Catch-up » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:01 pm

Good to know! Thanks Chilli. It helps to hear a middle of the road report. Most people either love it or hate it. I've also been told to put on all the privacy settings, which seems a given.
Catch-up

Postby The Mad Collector » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:07 pm

I use facebook for the shop, I didn't have an account before then and don't post much on my own page just the business one.
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:13 pm

Catch-up wrote:Really sorry about your video issues Rap. Sounds frustrating. :(

After visiting with friends from high school, I'm once again feeling pressured to join Facebook. I'm both tempted and repelled by the idea. Tempted, because it would make it easier to get together with people I might like to see, who simply seem not to communicate any other way. And repelling for all the obvious reasons. I've been here before and each time I pass on creating an account. But, I think I might actually go through with it this time. Just hoping I don't regret it if I do!

Going to the dark side she is Obiwan. :shock: :lol: :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Catch-up » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:48 pm

Or:

"We are the Borg. Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile."

That about sums up how I feel about it. :lol: But, I'm thinking I'll do something more general, like just a page with our family name on it, not my individual info or maiden name. I know, "futile".
Catch-up

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:38 pm

It's like in the song Hotel Calaforinia, once checked in you cannot leave. :twisted: I was on it for about two weeks after many requests by friends to join, the only thing I put in that was not misinformation was my name, :lol: had people I knew wish me a happy Birthday when it wasn't, I had to get a programme downloaded from elsewhere to delete my account but if you accessed your account within 15 days afterward all your data was restored. :|
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Catch-up » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:56 pm

I've heard it's impossible to leave. I have no intention of giving any correct info other than The ____________ Family. If I want to delete the account later, I'll have hubby do it. He's a lot more savvy about that kind of thing. I've set up the bare bones and have gone through all the privacy, ad and app settings and made it as secure as you're allowed. We'll see how it goes!
Catch-up

Postby raptornx01 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:24 pm

And Soon, she'll have 1000 friends, and a bunch of pics of her in duckface. :lol:
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Catch-up » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:13 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: Damn! I'd better start practicing my duckface in the mirror!
Catch-up

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:03 pm

Duckface QUACKERS !!!WHAT DUCK. :lol:
Who's Wee Dug

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum