Minor Niggles

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Minor Niggles

Postby raptornx01 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:27 pm

At wal-mart, the policy is for anyone under 40 or looks to be under 40 to get carded. USed to be 27, but they upped it some years ago.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Catch-up » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:34 am

Same for the stores around here. Although, Janet, if you were doing the shopping and your daughter was just with you, why would they card her? :?
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Ghost » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:57 am

one single clear dvd case with swing tray clip is too much to ask for
I broke one of my dvd covers and I can't find a replacement
not the end of the world but irritating
Ghost

Postby janet » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:18 am

Catch-up wrote:Same for the stores around here. Although, Janet, if you were doing the shopping and your daughter was just with you, why would they card her? :?

They would suspect I was buying alcohol for her and they thought she looked under 18 I guess, Susanne. But if that was the case i would surely have left her in the car, or so you would think. In view of what Penfold said about his nearby Tesco losing their booze licence, it makes sense that the company would be extra cautious but I think we just came up against a Jobsworth. He even bleated that he would get fined by the store if he let us go without checking (we were not moved to sympathy) after I said G was 25 and quoted her date of birth at him (I should know it as i was there at the time). Then again, I wonder how they would know :?
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby Bouncy Castle » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:21 am

Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Ghost » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:29 am

Bouncy Castle wrote:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-1-x-AMARAY-Clear-DVD-Case-Single-Disc-Swing-Tray-/121173441195?pt=UK_Computing_Sound_Vision_Media_Cases_Storage&hash=item1c367ffaab

thank you for looking but that wasn't the part I broke but I found the part within my own collection and I've swapped the cases and re-swapped it with a cover from my sell pile
Ghost

Postby Penfold » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:51 am

Bouncy Castle wrote:119 year old?

Bloody hell. What skin cream was he using, and where can I get some?

:oops: :lol: I must have hit the button twice and have now corrected it. :lol:

Janet wrote:He even bleated that he would get fined by the store if he let us go without checking (we were not moved to sympathy) after I said G was 25 and quoted her date of birth at him (I should know it as i was there at the time). Then again, I wonder how they would know.

He may well have been a jobsworth but I will say in his defence that he wasn't to know that you weren't a 'secret shopper' that companies use to judge standards of service*. The police also use them to check that the social responsibility laws are being kept and if you had been working for them he would also have faced a court appearance. I think the maximum fine is around £1000 so I can't blame him for being overcautious. I'm only guessing on this bit but I would assume that the Tesco's management check their cctv footage as well from time to time (I know my managers do to ensure procedures are adhered to). :D

*Secret shoppers normally go around in pairs and this is the sort of situation they are asked to test. We get them regularly at our place and if they make a bad report we face disciplinaries, if they find out who was responsible.
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby janet » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:11 pm

Good point Penners. Also, we'd gone through the self-scan because there was a queue at the normal checkout. Still, an apology for the inconvenience would have been nice.
janet

Postby Penfold » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:36 am

I definitely agree about the apology. By strange coincidence I was covering the Reception duties yesterday and a similar problem came up. A mother and daughter had come down to Brighton from Crawley and wanted to come in. I asked the daughter for ID but she only had a photocopy of her passport (the original apparently being with the Home Office). The mother was so indignant when I explained that photocopies were not accepted and we had to see and record the real thing, even to the point that I had to call the manager to back me up. Having said that, the mother probably wasn't that outraged because she left her daughter standing on reception for 45 minutes while she went in and gambled. :lol:
Penfold

Postby janet » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:26 pm

:o How very heartless of her! I'd never imagine that a photocopied ID would be adequate. Too easy to tamper with.
janet

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:29 pm

When I worked on the post office counter we used to have to ask for ID all the time. Two of my favourites were the guy who showed me his tattoo with his name on and the guy who turned to his friend and said: "Tell him who I am!" :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby janet » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:31 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
janet

Postby Penfold » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:37 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Penfold

Postby Batty » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:33 pm

:lol: :lol:
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Ghost » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:27 pm

:lol:

daft question time I've cobbled together a dvd cover for one of my loose dvd's
and I'm having issues of scale I don't know the size in pixels to resize it so I can print it out to the correct size
the dvd cover is a standard single size
http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g33 ... 80c109.jpg
please help
Ghost

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum