Minor Niggles

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Minor Niggles

Postby pip » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:10 am

Well at least if you catch him fiddling with that you can take appropriate measures.
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Catch-up » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:14 am

Scary Bouncy! :shock: Hope you're able to keep an eye on things or talk some sense into her.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Bouncy Castle » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:13 pm

There's no talking sense into her. She just won't listen when it comes to John. Terrified of "offending" him.

I once asked her what he was holding over her!!
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Penfold » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:22 pm

That's very worrying Bouncy. I hope you can talk some sense into her or at least the guy might be put off trying anything if he knows you're keeping an eye on him.

It might be worth popping into the Police station and talking the situation through with one of the officers there. They might not be able to take any action themselves if no actual crime has been committed but they might have some good advice for prevention and protecting your mum. Not the same thing as your situation, I know, but I did this on behalf of a female colleague who received some disturbing mail from an male customer (because the company wouldn't do anything). They gave good info regarding the new stalking laws and I let it be known, when he was in earshot, that I had spoken to a copper friend of mine about it. The guy backed off afterwards. :)
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:09 pm

Nip it in the bud but press for charges if you find anything amiss Bouncy. :evil:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Catch-up » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:08 pm

I like the idea of consulting the police!
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
Catch-up

Postby wicked woman » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:26 pm

janet wrote:Arboricultural joke...
What's brown and sticky?

A STICK

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Of all the forces in the universe, the hardest to overcome is the force of habit. Gravity is easy-peasy by comparison.
wicked woman

Postby The Mad Collector » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:02 pm

Catch-up wrote:I like the idea of consulting the police!

so do I, as said above they may not be able to do anything but could have some useful advice
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby janet » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:15 pm

@Bouncy
What Catch-up and Mad said AND, if this guy's as dodgy as you think, the police may already have him in their steely gaze. I'd always go with my instincts when it comes to trusting people and the alarm bells rang the instant I read that your mum had said she was afraid of upsetting this guy. Why? What is his reaction? If he's doing nothing wrong he should never get upset and should be unafraid of scrutiny into what he's doing.
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby Catch-up » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:32 pm

Does she seem afraid of him?
Catch-up

Postby Sister Jennifer » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:39 pm

Bloody hell Bouncy, that's horrible. Can you check out the builder's licence & contact whoever he's affiliated with?
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby Dotsie » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:57 am

He doesn't need a licence Jen.

I would just ring him up and tell him his assistance is not required. No one with any sense would allow an old lady to hand over her finances anyway.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby janet » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:37 am

If this builder is legit his business will be registered with local authority. How did your mum get involved with him, Bouncy?
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:09 am

Mum and dad bought the house from him around 30 years ago.

He's always done maintenance and decoration for them, but mum (and I'm quoting a friend of hers on the phone to me last year) turns into a fourteen year old lovesick schoolgirl whenever he's around.

He helped out when dad was in his final illness, helping him into and out of the bath each morning. Not for friendship, but because mum asked him, as she couldn't lift dad.

When she still had a car, she paid him £10 a week to check the oil. Odd how the engine on the car before last packed up through an oil leak.

She's terrified that if she "offends" him by, say, getting someone else to do repairs on the house, he won't come and help her in an emergency if she rings him.

Quite frankly, I'm going round the twist. I'm wandering around on the verge of tears most of the time anyway, because of her stubbornness, but this is going to tip me over if I find he's taken money from her.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby pip » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:22 am

Want us to send the boys around. Harry has a vicious temper and will sort stuff out for aunty Bouncy
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum