Minor Niggles

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Minor Niggles

Postby janet » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:22 pm

Penfold wrote:I know I whinged about last week's work rota but this weeks is a real cracker. Yesterday, I started work at 1:30pm, finished at 11:20pm, and got home at 1:am. Today, I start at 7:40pm, finish at 5:40am, and get home tomorrow morning around 7:15am (due to having to use public transport). I get up tomorrow at around 11:00am to get into work for 1:30pm and finish again at 11:40pm, getting home around 1:00am or 2:00am. I am really starting to feel too old for this nonsense and my body clock doesn't know what it's meant to be doing. I also know from experience that saying something or complaining only makes things worse (I asked not to be put on the shift that involves closing and moving cash boxes up and down stairs due to my chest problems. I wasn't being given those shifts at the time but wanted to ensure that I didn't get them in the near future; I am now getting one a week and have an entire weekend of them next week.) :roll:

Janet wrote:(Mum said that women leaving their washing out all night were sluts! :shock: )

Did you know the old definition of "slut" was "a woman with low standards of cleanliness" or "a slovenly person". It seems to be one of those words whose meaning has changed over the years :D

That sounds awful Penfold. Such a mixture of shift times and all that travelling :( I'd be inclined to suspect that someone had an agenda they weren't mentioning

Odd how word meaning evolve isn't it? Mum was using the word in the context suggested by your dictionary. There's logic behind it too because when she was saying that, and I was a child, the only home heating was the coal fire which people would stoke up at night so the night air would be full of smoke and smuts. Leave your washing out and it would be dirty again by morning.
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:23 pm

Ghost wrote::shock: and it leaves you prone to knicker thieves

Solution to that problem is don't wear any, then what you dont have..... :whistle: :whistle:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Ghost » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:25 pm

Who's Wee Dug wrote:

Solution to that problem is don't wear any, then what you dont have..... :whistle: :whistle:

:o I'd catch a cold going out like that
Ghost

Postby janet » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:30 pm

Who's Wee Dug wrote:

That would be the current definition ......... see above :lol:
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby Dotsie » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:01 pm

janet wrote:
Penfold wrote:Did you know the old definition of "slut" was "a woman with low standards of cleanliness" or "a slovenly person". It seems to be one of those words whose meaning has changed over the years :D

Odd how word meaning evolve isn't it? Mum was using the word in the context suggested by your dictionary.

I call myself a slut when I haven't done the housework. I certainly don't mean the other meaning, if I haven't got time for the housework I certainly haven't got time for that :lol:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Penfold » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:02 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:19 pm

@Ghost, not if you keep your hands in your pockets. :lol:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Ghost » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:22 pm

Who's Wee Dug wrote:@Ghost, not if you keep your hands in your pockets. :lol:

front or back?
Ghost

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:52 am

One in each should do it. :lol:
Who's Wee Dug

Postby raptornx01 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:38 pm

Curse my dirty mind.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Ghost » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:49 pm

Ghost

Postby Catch-up » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:43 pm

Had to run out to get pants for Ava's choir uniform today. Decided to try on a few things myself. Why is it that all jeans are now cut so they're skin tight right down to the ankles? :roll: And why are so many shirts transparent?! :shock: I tried on a sweater and it was semi-transparent.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby chris.ph » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:58 pm

pictures please catch up :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: ;)
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Penfold » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:11 pm

As above! :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby raisindot » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:21 pm

Dotsie wrote:I call myself a slut when I haven't done the housework. I certainly don't mean the other meaning, if I haven't got time for the housework I certainly haven't got time for that :lol:

In the olden days, women just had headaches.... :dance:
raisindot

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum