Minor Niggles

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Minor Niggles

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:12 pm

Tonyblack wrote:Lol if I worked in a place where they had a shedder like that, I'm sure people would be tempted to see what it COULDN'T shred. :mrgreen:

I did we had a mega shredder in finance you could could put house keys (Yale type) in it and it just chewed them.

A lidl one I used before getting mine was severely tested, I was on it for hours shredding and it was fine afterwards as long as you did not overheat it just rested it now and then 5/6 sheets were no problem, thats why I got one.

Mobile dongles that's another £15 on it today got to make it last longer that a week this time. :roll: :x
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby raptornx01 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:48 pm

Tonyblack wrote:Lol if I worked in a place where they had a shedder like that, I'm sure people would be tempted to see what it COULDN'T shred. :mrgreen:

Awaiting the "Will it shred?" video series. :lol:
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby ChristianBecker » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:58 am

Would probably better fit in the "I say, you say" thread or a new thread altogether - but it's really just a minor matter, so I thought I'd use an existing one.
While I hate the term, because it somehow trivializes the Third Reich, I probably can be called a grammar nazi (and have been called that on occasion). Well, I have Views on grammar and orthography, and while mine isn't perfect at all times, I at least try to keep my posts readable and intelligible.
However, I digress.
As some of you may know from my signature or the thread in the games subforum, I'm a fan of the game Path of Exile (PoE). It's like Diablo or any other action role playing game, where you are the hero (or something broadly equivalent) and slay hordes of monsters.
Anyway, in the PoE-Forums, people are referring to a single monster as a "mob". When I first read it, I was a bit confused. It took me a while to realize that "mob" means a single enemy.
This irritates me. I always thought "mob" was an amount of people, like what you spontaneously get in Ankh Morpork when something interesting happens. But perhaps I'm missing something. English has so many words and so many meanings to some of them, that I just might not be aware of the single person mob.
So, how do you use or understand the word "mob"?
On with their heads! I'm the clown prince of fools
if you don't get the joke it's your loss
Love and laughter you see are the new currency
'cause greed's coinage is not worth a toss

Exile yourself to the unforgiving continent of Wraeclast!
ChristianBecker

Postby raptornx01 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:14 am

In the context of a game, I understand it's to mean a monster. I've been gaming so long i don't think anything of it. and will even use the term myself. outside though i use it as a group of people.

But i've never had an issue with online terminology. I get the meaning, and overtime will even use it on occasion when i feel the situation calls for it.

the one that i see used around that i don't care for much is weaboo. it's to mean a fan of japanese... whatever. movies, games, characters. etc. to me though it sounds more like a racial slur.

I also dislike the trend of using autism as an insult. Trying to say the target of the term has aspergers, but using the autist/autism term to make it worse.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby ChristianBecker » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:56 am

raptornx01 wrote:But i've never had an issue with online terminology. I get the meaning, and overtime will even use it on occasion when i feel the situation calls for it.

I now get the meaning, too. I do understand quite some gibberish - the human brain is a fantastic thing. A friend of mine studies linguistics and his stance is that if you understand what the speaker meant, then the speaker used the language correctly.

So mob for single monster has been around in the gaming world for longer, then. My bad.

ChristianBecker

Postby Penfold » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:48 pm

I've never heard the expression "mob" before, when used in the singular, and I've been gaming for a few years now. Is it a predominantly American term? :?
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

Len Brook Photography
Penfold

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:06 pm

"Mob" is a shortened version of the word "Mobile".

And the originator of the term is British. ;)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby raptornx01 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:13 pm

Hard to tell online. You mainly hear it in MMOs. one of the first times I heard was about 10 years ago while playing an english language version of a korean free MMO called fly-for-fun (flyff). but that had people from all over the world.

EDIT: Thanks Tony. :)
raptornx01

Postby ChristianBecker » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:54 am

Wow, never knew the term was THAT old. I mean MUD1 is practically ancient.
So I wonder if those single "mobs" are pronounced differently, like [mowb], or just like the other mob (which itself stems from vulgus mobile according to Merriam-Webster's dictionary).

ChristianBecker

Postby hnorwood » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:01 pm

Tonyblack wrote:"Mob" is a shortened version of the word "Mobile".

And the originator of the term is British. ;)

Interestingly, mob as in general use does indeed come from "mobile" - my Chambers says ".. the mobile or fickle common people; the vulgar: the rabble:... [..] from Latin mobile (vulgus) fickle multitude"

Mobile meant fickle of course (as in "La donna e mobile" (excuse my spelling))
Huge Neuroid

Angst-Lesspork
hnorwood

Postby Catch-up » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:13 pm

After steam cleaning all of the rugs, two of them are stinky now! :x What's up with that?!
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby janet » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:12 pm

Really daren't ask how you know they're stinky :shock: My washing machine has just recovered from a bout of stinkiness but that was caused by daughter only using one low temp programme all the time and never running it on a service wash.
Amazes me how i know about this kind of stuff :lol:
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby raptornx01 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:33 pm

It could be worse. She could have filled it with dirty clothes, filled it with hot water, turned it off to add detergent, got distracted before she could add it and turn it back on, walked away and forgot about it allowing the clothes to have a nice soak.

For two days.
raptornx01

Postby janet » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:32 am

Well, she has done a full wash and left it without opening for two days in the past......but a bo**ocking from me tends to make an impression if the receiver is in the same kitchen :roll:
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby Catch-up » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:54 am

janet wrote:Really daren't ask how you know they're stinky :shock:

Um.... 'cause I can smell them. :? They smell musty and it's driving me insane. I've tried a spray that's supposed to get odor out of fabrics. But then the room just smells like the spray for a little while and goes back to being musty. :x
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum