Minor Niggles

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Minor Niggles

Postby Catch-up » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:23 am

I was bewildered too Janet! Hubby told me to order "black soil". The person I spoke to quoted the price for "top soil". When I asked if they were the same thing he said yes. I'll repeat hubby's explanation the best I can remember it. He used to do landscaping so he's more knowledgeable about this stuff than I am. The dirt that was delivered (top soil) was very light colored which meant little to no nutrients, and had clay which would be detrimental to the veggie plants. He did say that we could buy things to add to it that would make it work. But when the place we'd ordered from offered to bring the right stuff, we took them up on it. It was loose, not in bags. The second batch was darker, hubby said it still wasn't as good as he'd hoped. It also had something in it to help with drainage. Hope all that makes sense!
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:51 am

I've got a new computer - I've had it nearly a week and although I've done a file transfer from my laptop, I'm still having to teach this new one how to speak "Tony". I had taught my laptop all sorts of words that I frequently use, such as Discworld, Pratchett, Rincewind and Morpork, but this new one thinks they are all errors. :lol: I hate those squiggly red lines that tell me I have spelt something incorrectly, when I haven't. :roll: Why doesn't the internal dictionary get transferred as well as the other files?
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:57 am

They don't want to make too easy for you Tony. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Catch-up » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:57 am

I hate those squiggly red lines too. Sometimes I get them even when I spell something correctly, like someone's name will come up fine but if I add 's, it marks it as wrong.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
Catch-up

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:01 pm

It's the things they suggest instead of what you've got that makes me laugh. Why does it suggest "Pritchett" instead of Pratchett? Or Osama instead of Obama? :lol:

The red line thing goes back to my schooldays I think and the teacher marking spelling mistakes in an essay (although, to be fair, I did once accidentally leave out the R in "shirt" :oops: ). It's like having a schoolteacher sitting looking over your shoulder with a red pen in his/her hand.
Tonyblack

Postby Catch-up » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:05 pm

Ok, you made me try it. Mine accepts Obama, but also wants to change Pratchett to Pritchett. Just now, typing this, it's Pritchett that comes up as misspelled. I googled it and there are some companies and another British author by that name.
Catch-up

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:08 pm

The wavy red lines and green lines are spelling and grammar checks which I believe can be turned off, there is also blue ones not sure what they are in addition to. :?:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Catch-up » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:10 pm

I wouldn't want to turn them off because it does catch genuine spelling and grammar errors. It's just annoying when you know you've spelled something correctly. I've never encountered a blue one!
Catch-up

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:13 pm

I did once accidentally leave out the R in "shirt" ). It's like having a schoolteacher sitting looking over your shoulder with a red pen in his/her hand.
Tony If you left out the R and the schoolteacher was looking over your shoulder did your shirt have brown stains running down it. :lol: :lol:
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:18 pm

Applies to Word 2003

On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the Spelling & Grammar tab.

Do one or both of the following:

* To turn on or off automatic spelling checking, select or clear the Check spelling as you type check box.

* To turn on or off automatic grammar checking, select or clear the Check grammar as you type check box.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:33 pm

Tony in case it gets too much. :mrgreen:
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:41 pm

Oh I wouldn't dream of turning it off. I need to be reminded if I make a mistake. But I still don't like it. It's only a "minor" niggle. :)
Tonyblack

Postby Ghost » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:47 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:Applies to Word 2003

On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the Spelling & Grammar tab.

Do one or both of the following:

* To turn on or off automatic spelling checking, select or clear the Check spelling as you type check box.

* To turn on or off automatic grammar checking, select or clear the Check grammar as you type check box.

the other day I found out by accident how to wipe all my dictionary pre-sets all my every day words lost through a accidental click :cry:
Ooh you cheeky little sea winkle
Ghost

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:44 am

Whoopsie.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Catch-up » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:08 pm

Sorry to hear that Ghost. :(

Big day today. Mostly good stuff. The girls are off to work with Derek. It's national Take Your Child to Work day. Sounds like they have a lot of fun stuff planned and the girls are thrilled to play hooky from school.

I'm driving out to see a friend and get my nails done this morning. Wish that were the only thing on my schedule today. As soon as I get back I'll barely have enough time to get a lunch in, then I'll have to go to that meeting at the school. I am so over having school meetings. :roll: And after the last one my tolerance level has eroded enough that I'm afraid if I hear one more snitty, passive aggressive comment from that woman, I'll say one of those things I can never take back.

Any positive, staying civil vibes sent my way would be great.
Catch-up

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum