Minor Niggles

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Minor Niggles

Postby Ghost » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:45 pm

even though I complain about my putter Image
it works well 90% of the time but for the last 6 weeks or so it has been refusing updates telling me that my system is up to date but that is the least of the issues for some unknown reason it tries to log me out and change user or I get the purple screen of F :twisted: :twisted: ed
but like a trouper still keeps on working but I don't know for how long so I'm taking the poor bleeder to get debugged just I'm having issues finding a techy tit hat won't baulk at the sight of linex :? or try and rip me off
Ooh you cheeky little sea winkle
Ghost

Postby =Tamar » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:58 pm

Have you run ClamTk?
=Tamar

Postby Conforumist » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:41 am

Wifey had it out with the neighbour last week. She collected their dogs crap from our lawn and placed it on his doorstep. He confronted her about it and proceeded to call her "immature" a couple of times. In hindsight she feels she may have done the wrong thing, but we're just tired of it.

His daughter had been using our property for her own personal ashtray. I confronted her about and now she just uses the street instead. Why do smokers feels they can use the planet as their own personal ashtray? :cry:

CBC radio reported recently that cigarette butts are the number one pollutant in the oceans today.
The greatest things in life are not things.
Conforumist

Postby Penfold » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:08 am

Tell your wife that she was just returning your neighbour's property, sort of. ;) I'm not sure where you can get it in Canada (maybe your local zoo or internet shopping) but small bits of lion dung spread around the garden really works for keeping dogs away.

The problem with cigarette butts is that they take around 7 years to degrade and the nicotine poisons the small patch of earth for even longer. When I discovered this, I used to put the extinguished butt in my pocket and dispose of it at home and I can't understand why more people don't do this rather than littering.
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

Len Brook Photography
Penfold

Postby Conforumist » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:16 pm

I think that too many people here don't give a damn. That's why the province is in such a mess.
Conforumist

Postby janet » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:56 am

Conforumist wrote:I think that too many people here don't give a damn. That's why the province is in such a mess.

It's the same everywhere Con. In one garden I used to look after there was a low wall dividing it from the next property where the female occupant kept a lurcher dog. It was so obvious that she let the dog out, it hopped over the wall, did its jobbies and hopped back again to its own house. The evidence was abundant :x . So I collected it all in the bags made for the purpose, tied them securely and arranged them on the edge of the wall - all clean and tidy - her job done for her. Next time I went she went librarian poo at me, said she'd told the police blah, blah, blah. I felt no remorse whatsoever. Mind, the problem persisted and I had no option but to pick up or contaminate my lawnmower. In UK it's an offense in Law to allow dogs to foul areas cared for by local council workers but private property may not come under that law.
Con, if you know the name of the smoker who litters your land, could you get an old metal box or bucket and paint on the side ' ??????'s ash tray' half-fill it with earth and put it where she usually dumps her butts? Just a thought ;)
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby Conforumist » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:35 am

That might work, but I would still have to deal with the butts now and then.

What if I posted a sign on my lawn, (facing their house and the street) saying "Hey "neighbour" please stop using my property and the plant as your personal ashtray"? Just to embarrass them. :)

I could glue some of the butts to the sign?
Conforumist

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:53 am

Good idea or fill a bucket and dump them on their property. :twisted:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby janet » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:40 pm

Conforumist wrote:That might work, but I would still have to deal with the butts now and then.

What if I posted a sign on my lawn, (facing their house and the street) saying "Hey "neighbour" please stop using my property and the plant as your personal ashtray"? Just to embarrass them. :)

I could glue some of the butts to the sign?

Another creative solution :D
Our neighbours (we've only recently realised) were shoving the doodoos from their poor little dog under the party hedge. The small was atrocious! They used to leave it on their lawn and tell people that we threw it over :shock: :shock: :shock:
This is just coming to our knowledge. They can't get away with it now since we used to clean up at least once a day when our dogs were alive but we lost the last one almost a year ago. The stink is ALL yours neighbour! :? Neighbours aren't like they used to be are they. Sympathy Con :roll:
janet

Postby chillicamper » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:51 am

My sympathies with your neighbour problems. We have had similar issues with our neighbour in the past - a drunken builder. he seems to need to yell loudly at any time of day and night to anyone in his house who is more than a metre away. In addition, when he gets seriously drunk he has been known to forget where his toilet is and just open the front or back door to relieve himself :shock: :roll: .

He bought the house next to us a few years ago then build another house in the back garden. He's now sold one of the houses and had been renting the other out so we had a break from him for a couple of years, but now he seems to be back living in the original house with a bunch of other people we haven't seen before.

No urinating out of the front door as yet, but we have had 5 police cars turn up......this was a common occurrence as we when he used to live there. The house is on the market, so we just hope he sells it and buggers off. The rest of the neighbours are OK - just him letting the place down!
Wooden stuff at www.iwoodlovethat.co.uk
chillicamper

Postby hnorwood » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:28 am

hnorwood wrote:A couple of weeks ago I received from my Broadband provider (to protect the guilty, let's call them ChatChat!)
So - they agreed to call me to discuss the issue. Needless to say they didn't keep to their promise. So I've made another date tostay in all day to wait for a call-back. Grrrrr...

Thought you might like an update...
I did receive a call back on Tuesday, but it was unsatisfactory from my position. The tech said he had tweaked something at their end. The line speed seems OK.
Trouble is, it's not the line speed that bothers me it's the unreliability. If it wasn't for the potential upset (having to move stuff around to allow the equipment to be installed) I'd go over to cable. My daughter used them at Uni and had no issues at all.
Huge Neuroid

Angst-Lesspork
hnorwood

Postby mirandashell » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:31 am

I use cable and the reliability is pretty good. It rarely drops out or slows down. You do get the ocassional blip but it is way more stable than the BT line.
I wish I was a glow worm. A glow worm's never glum. Cos how can you be grumpy when the sun shines out your bum?

My Etsy shop!
https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/UmptyOriginals
Goth Umptys available now. Geeks and Princesses coming soon!
mirandashell

Postby janet » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:16 pm

A local hospital has decided to charge outpatients for the cups of water which used to be free :shock: A friend of my daughter got round that at her antenatal clinic as she didn't know about the charge and had no money with her. She just pretended to feel faint.......and got her free water :D I'd like to see the numbers that say it saved them money by installing a machine which charges 20p per (tiny) cup of water as against providing it free and unlimited at the cost they were already paying! Jesus wept and we know why!
janet

Postby hnorwood » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:28 am

That's interesting - I believe that cafes / restaurants are obliged by law to provide free (tap) water to drink.
I think you need to make as much of a public stink about that as you can..
Huge Neuroid

Angst-Lesspork
hnorwood

Postby The Mad Collector » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:48 pm

hnorwood wrote:That's interesting - I believe that cafes / restaurants are obliged by law to provide free (tap) water to drink.
I think you need to make as much of a public stink about that as you can..

They only have to provide water if they serve alcohol, it's supposed to help combat binge drinking :roll:

Not many hospitals supply alcohol beverages to order although the last private hospital I was in had a wine list with the meal choices in the evening :D
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum