The Year In Pictures 2013

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: The Year In Pictures 2013

Postby Sister Jennifer » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:40 am

Unreal photo's Knight. That looks like the loneliest tree in Cornwall.
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby chillicamper » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:56 am

Lovely wild moorland pics :D

Catch-up wrote:That is one fluffy pony. Love the picture with the tree that looks like it started growing sideways. :D

Bodmin moor does not have a specific breed of pony, so it is likely to be a Dartmoor or Exmoor pony.

The ponies on the moor are not wild animals. They all have owners. If its the same as Dartmoor, then certain farms on the moors will have rights to graze a specific number of cattle, sheep and ponies on particular moorland areas (the commons). The farmers mark their ponies to indicate the animal’s owner. They normally do this by branding the coat, but sometimes the hooves.

As with many of the native breed (Dartmoor, Exmoor, Shetland, New Forest) they do grow a really fluffy coat in the winter. It seems to have 2 layers a softer undercoat layer for warmth and a more wiry top coat layer for waterproofing. I had a Shetland pony once who could stand out all day in the rain. The top coat would matt together like felt and keep the water out from the underneath layer which was perfectly dry. Her coat in the depth of winter was easily 2 inches thick - you could lose your whole hand in it if you patted her! :lol:
Wooden stuff at www.iwoodlovethat.co.uk
chillicamper

Postby KnightOfFewWords » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:34 am

Conforumist wrote:Very cool, Knight!

Where did "The Hurlers" come from?

No-one really knows, but they are thought to date back to the early Bronze Age or late Neolithic. The name comes from a local legend, that a group of men were turned to stone for the sin of playing Cornish Hurling (a kind of free-for-all rugby, think Unseen Academicals) on a Sunday. This seems unlikely as the stones are literally older than Sunday, but we shouldn't let that ruin a good story. There are a few more details here.

About 500m away is Rillaton Barrow, a burial mound where a gold cup was found in 1837. Estimates of it's age vary from 1500-2300 BC.

(Not my picture, I must find it again next time I'm up there.)

The Cheesewring, on the other hand, is a natural formation.

Sister Jennifer wrote:Unreal photo's Knight. That looks like the loneliest tree in Cornwall.

I guess I'd never really thought of it as exotic, but then I grew-up around there. It's very exposed up on the moorland, all the trees point with the prevailing wind.

Yet just three miles away - where my parents live - it's very sheltered and green, down in the Lynher river valley. Cornwall has a very mild climate, every now and then you come across an imported palm tree.

Despite the bleakness of the moors they were a hive of activity up until about 1850. The area is riddled with mines and quarries. Cornish tin and copper was traded across Europe for about 4,000 years.

KnightOfFewWords

Postby The Mad Collector » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:54 pm

It reminds me of the trees I photographed on Itford Hill on the South Downs, bent and huddled together as though trying to shelter from the wind :D

One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Catch-up » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:38 pm

That looks so strange! I guess the wind must be pretty constant.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby chillicamper » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:51 am

Love those trees, Mad :D
Wooden stuff at www.iwoodlovethat.co.uk
chillicamper

Postby Catch-up » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:10 pm

chillicamper wrote:Lovely wild moorland pics :D

Catch-up wrote:That is one fluffy pony. Love the picture with the tree that looks like it started growing sideways. :D

Bodmin moor does not have a specific breed of pony, so it is likely to be a Dartmoor or Exmoor pony.

The ponies on the moor are not wild animals. They all have owners. If its the same as Dartmoor, then certain farms on the moors will have rights to graze a specific number of cattle, sheep and ponies on particular moorland areas (the commons). The farmers mark their ponies to indicate the animal’s owner. They normally do this by branding the coat, but sometimes the hooves.

As with many of the native breed (Dartmoor, Exmoor, Shetland, New Forest) they do grow a really fluffy coat in the winter. It seems to have 2 layers a softer undercoat layer for warmth and a more wiry top coat layer for waterproofing. I had a Shetland pony once who could stand out all day in the rain. The top coat would matt together like felt and keep the water out from the underneath layer which was perfectly dry. Her coat in the depth of winter was easily 2 inches thick - you could lose your whole hand in it if you patted her! :lol:

Until Ava started riding, I never knew how thick their hair got in the winter - although it makes total sense! I always thought they had smooth coats all the time. I love it when they get fluffy and I love running my hands through it. :D Sounds like yours get fluffier though!
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
Catch-up

Postby Joolz » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:12 pm

Went to a Murder Mystery night at Alnwick Garden with Mrs J and my mum and dad..

The water feature was pretty impressive :D

And I want this floor
Tune the world out, turn the radio up
Sing along to my freedom song
Joolz

Postby Catch-up » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:25 pm

Looks like a really wonderful night out. I want that floor too!
Catch-up

Postby chris.ph » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:52 pm

ive done one like that catchup, the electrician had a nightmare and i couldnt break any of the slabs as they cost a fortune :roll: :D :D
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Catch-up » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:02 pm

I can only imagine Chris! Was it for you or were you doing it for someone else.

Here's Disney's version in Epcot:

We love that walk out in the evening. :D
Catch-up

Postby Conforumist » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:00 am

Boy, some really interesting photos! :clap:
The greatest things in life are not things.
Conforumist

Postby hnorwood » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:27 pm

Did you work out whodunnit? I went on a similar do with Mrs N a couple of years ago and couldn't make head or tail of the clues... (was a good evening though!)
Huge Neuroid

Angst-Lesspork
hnorwood

Postby Sister Jennifer » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:06 am

Fantastic pics!

If you'll let me, a modest boast.

My daughter Perry won the visual arts award for her year.

Some of her artwork they hung for the occasion. Dr Who fan much.

Lastly, my other daughter Nat & myself went to a wedding on the weekend. She's so grown up & has become the loveliest young lady. How the years have flown.
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:17 am

Marvellous! :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum