Likes and Dislikes (bars and clubs)

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Likes and Dislikes (bars and clubs)

Postby chapelboys » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:24 pm

Taking on a bit from the music likes and dislikes

we post our global recommendations for Great Bars and Clubs

My current picks are

Bars-- The Standard downtown- Los Angeles (the most breathtaking bar ive ever been to)

Club-- Amnesia- Ibiza (hedonism at its best)

Hows that for starters
chapelboys

Postby Dotsie » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:34 pm

Sorry Chapelboys, I'm afraid you're just too cool for school around here - with me at least :lol:

A nice pub with a free paper to read & a pint of something old & peculiar whilst sitting in a comfy chair. Bliss!
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby chapelboys » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:41 pm

Trust me Dotsie You would love the bar in LA, the view blew me away.

look it up on the net.

i was wanting it to be a "Good pub guide" so when we go on our travels we can go to some really good spots
chapelboys

Postby superfurryandy » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:54 pm

The Porterhouse in Covent Garden is a decent pub, tho it gets a tad crowded at the usual times.

When in Camden and you want a rest from the idiots, take a stroll up Parkway, chuck a left and you'll find the Edinboro Castle - huge beer garden to relax in.

And speaking of Edinburgh, the Cambridge Bar does superb burgers and excellent milkshakes, as well as beers an' that.
superfurryandy

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:56 pm

Ain't you the little traveller? :lol:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby superfurryandy » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:07 pm

Yup, London and Edinburgh - I'm fuppin' cosmopolitan, me :mrgreen:

Hold on, just thought of The Anchor in Cambridge - great location on the river, and excellent homemade grub served.

There's the Circolo de Foresteri in Sorrento (if it's still there) - not too bothered about the drinks when the views over the Bay of Naples are stunning.
superfurryandy

Postby chris.ph » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:19 pm

the elephant club on copacabana beach is good :lol: dancing girls on the speakers :shock:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:08 pm

Big speakers, or very tiny dancing girls?
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Bouncy Castle

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:12 pm

Have you been to the original Porterhouse in Dublin just down from Parliament square.

And the Rose and Crown in Osaka was different :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Batty » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:40 pm

Dotsie wrote:Sorry Chapelboys, I'm afraid you're just too cool for school around here - with me at least :lol:

A nice pub with a free paper to read & a pint of something old & peculiar whilst sitting in a comfy chair. Bliss!

I'm with Dotsie on this. We used to have a nice pub (when it first opened), where you could play dominoes, cards or chess and there was no noise to be heard, apart from the chatter and supping of drinks.
Now though, the music is so loud that you have to shout at the top of your voice to the person sitting next to you. We no longer go there, as to me, a pub should be a place to relax and socialize.
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:46 pm

The pub I drink in (rarely these days) is empty for the most part, but the garden is full because 90 per cent of the customers smoke.

Bouncy Castle

Postby chris.ph » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:13 pm

massive speakers and any hooters in the states :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby chris.ph » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:14 pm

on the harbour in naples is nice as well bit different from rio tho :)
chris.ph

Postby WannabeAngua » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:02 pm

Been years since I went clubbing (writing that made me feel like about a hundred years old :( )
I've always prefered sitting in a pub, enjoying a cold guinness and the company of a handful of old, or new, friends.
I like being able to talk to those I'm out with, without having to shout.
There were no public health laws in Ankh-Morpork. It would be like installing smoke detectors in Hell.
- Feet of clay.
WannabeAngua

Postby poohbcarrot » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:17 pm

The Foreign Correspondents Club in Pnohm Pehn, Cambodia serves excellent beer, has a great menu including bangers and mash and sells over-sized Rizla papers.

The Dubliners in Shijuku, sells the best pint of Kilkenny in Japan (mind you it's a bit pricey at 5 quid a pint!).

Shinmai hostess bar where I live. I always go there after playing in golf competitions with one of the companies I teach at (in fact I'm playing in one today). I never pay and as I'm a good husband, am immune to the advances of the scantily clad hostesses, and spend the time trying to get them drunk playing inane Japanese drinking games.

Any club in Tokyo. No dress restrictions, never any trouble, open all night, cater for all kinds of musical tastes, smoking allowed (haven't been for a while due to having kids)
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Next

Return to The Broken Drum