Slow page loading

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Slow page loading

Postby michelanCello » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:10 pm

I don't seem to have any problems now...
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby wicked woman » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:19 pm

Was very slow to load site but it's ok now.

Probably famous last words.
Of all the forces in the universe, the hardest to overcome is the force of habit. Gravity is easy-peasy by comparison.
wicked woman

Postby raptornx01 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:46 pm

It seems to go in and out. it was slow at first, then sped up, then slow, then fast. i tried to come o0on yesterday too and it wouldn't load at all. so i gave up.

Ghost wrote:
wicked woman wrote: every time I come on i've been logged out. :?

I thought that it was just me

Honestly, it's been doing that to me ever since I joined the site (how ever long ago that was. and i remember it doing that on the old forum as well (the one where the general section was Sator Square instead of the Broken drum)). if i'm gone for more then a couple minutes i have to relog back in. even if the window or tab stays open. and no matter how many time i click that little remember me/keep me logged in button. and across multiple computers and web browsers.

I just figured it was a quirk of the site so never bothered with it. it's only ever an issue if reading a thread, have to do something else for 10 15 20 minutes, whatever and comeback and hit quick reply. cause after i type the post out, and hit submit it'll take me to the log in screen and when it brings me back i have to retype everything.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Jason » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:05 pm

raptornx01 wrote:Honestly, it's been doing that to me ever since I joined the site (how ever long ago that was. and i remember it doing that on the old forum as well (the one where the general section was Sator Square instead of the Broken drum)). if i'm gone for more then a couple minutes i have to relog back in. even if the window or tab stays open. and no matter how many time i click that little remember me/keep me logged in button. and across multiple computers and web browsers.

I just figured it was a quirk of the site so never bothered with it. it's only ever an issue if reading a thread, have to do something else for 10 15 20 minutes, whatever and comeback and hit quick reply. cause after i type the post out, and hit submit it'll take me to the log in screen and when it brings me back i have to retype everything.

I suspect that the problems you are experiencing with getting logged out are on your computer. At the bottom of the site is a link to Delete all board cookies. I suggest clicking on that shutting down your browser and then starting it up again and re-logging in with the remember me option selected. If this doesn't work it is probably your browser rejecting cookies from the site.
TCOM-12 - Ludeum in tympanus
Editor Discworld Monthly
Jason

Postby chillicamper » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:08 pm

Still very hit and miss here. One second it's fine, the next nothing will load and eventually get error messages about internal servers. :roll:
Wooden stuff at www.iwoodlovethat.co.uk
chillicamper

Postby Jason » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:31 pm

With regards to the speed of the site and some of the comments I have seen:

This forum is provided free of charge by Transworld. They do it because they want to build a community. They could spend the budget that is used to pay for the site for advertising but they have decided to do something for the fans. They would lose nothing by not providing it. Even if all the members of the forum boycotted Terry's latest book it would only make a tiny impact on sales - so the forum really isn't for generating sales - it's provided for us to use and enjoy.

Therefore I think we have to accept that sometimes the site will be slow / sometimes it won't work. Maintaining the site is not an employee of Transworld's only responsibility - so when things go wrong we have to be patient for the fixes because someone will have to juggle over work.

Transworld moved us to the current provider to allow for more users after the merger of the US and UK sites. This provided more speed and more bandwidth. I suspect that they are looking to move us to a bigger / better server but this takes time and money.

Please be patient - I know Simon has spent a lot of time working with the hosting company to sort out some of the problems. I suspect that the problems are more related to Server updates rather than problems with the forum software.
TCOM-12 - Ludeum in tympanus
Editor Discworld Monthly
Jason

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:11 pm

I'm happy with how it is now Jason. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Who's Wee Dug on Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby raptornx01 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:29 pm

Jason wrote:I suspect that the problems you are experiencing with getting logged out are on your computer. At the bottom of the site is a link to Delete all board cookies. I suggest clicking on that shutting down your browser and then starting it up again and re-logging in with the remember me option selected. If this doesn't work it is probably your browser rejecting cookies from the site.

Yeah, didn't work. and tried it with IE as well (normally use firefox). as i said it never did. not with my old computer, or my even older one i gave to a relative. have used the site with all three. and in addition to the two browsers mentioned have used opera as well. Ha even the Playstation 3's web browser it does it with, but auto-log ins for any other site.

its not an issue though, since firefox normally saves passwords itself anyway it just means a couple extra mouse clicks once in awhile. I still try the check box, but i've gotten used to it. :) I only mentioned it at all because others did. and it may be an unrelated issue for them anyway. No worries.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Quatermass » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:06 pm

Who's Wee Dug wrote:I'm happy with it is now Jason. :mrgreen:

I'm not. It took too long for the website to come up. And over the last while, I keep on getting [EFF!]ing 500 errors. I think I have every right to be angry when excellent service takes a nosedive into crap service.

As for the logon complaint, I've had that too, but I've put up with it. This BS, however, I will not. If patience is a virtue, then I am far from a virtuous man. And like I said, it may not be a vital thing, but fixing this problem as soon as possible is in Transworld's best interests. Otherwise, it reflects badly on them.
"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby michelanCello » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:29 pm

Well said, Jason :clap:
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby Dotsie » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:01 am

Quatermass wrote:
Who's Wee Dug wrote:I'm happy with it is now Jason. :mrgreen:

I'm not. It took too long for the website to come up. And over the last while, I keep on getting [EFF!]ing 500 errors. I think I have every right to be angry when excellent service takes a nosedive into crap service.

As for the logon complaint, I've had that too, but I've put up with it. This BS, however, I will not. If patience is a virtue, then I am far from a virtuous man. And like I said, it may not be a vital thing, but fixing this problem as soon as possible is in Transworld's best interests. Otherwise, it reflects badly on them.

Anger is a valid emotion Q, but should be used appropriately - this issue should give you some mild frustration or annoyance, nothing more. If you get angry with someone because they won't give up their free time to provide you with a free service, it reflects badly on you!
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Quatermass » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:23 pm

Dotsie wrote:Anger is a valid emotion Q, but should be used appropriately - this issue should give you some mild frustration or annoyance, nothing more. If you get angry with someone because they won't give up their free time to provide you with a free service, it reflects badly on you!

Well, speaking as someone who has volunteered on a BBS before (albeit as a moderator rather than as tech), I understand the frustration people face with problems on a BBS. I would always try my best to deal with problems promptly. And yes, anger is a poor choice of words. Jason has a point. But so do I.
"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby Mycroft Vimes » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:20 pm

I like his a lot better though. :P

Also getting a 404 internal server report once in a while lately,never had to log in again as far as i can remember.

As a another volunteer mod(on a bit busier Dutch site),i can commiserate a bit with the sometimes seeming lack of appreciaton,when the site has a few hiccups... :roll:

So from this more patient member(who granted might have reached an age of less hormonal influenced behaviour),hereby a BIG thanks to Jason and all others who provide us this online place to share our common love of Sir Terry's work,other literature or just things we like.
:clap: :text-thankyouyellow: :handgestures-thumbsup: :greetings-clapyellow: :greetings-clappingyellow:
(I was looking for a 'taking a bow'-smiley,didn't see it,so these will have to do. :P )
'It's just like crop circles. No matter how many aliens own up to making them, there are always a few diehards who believe that humans go out with garden rollers in the middle of the night-'
Mycroft Vimes

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:53 pm

Try this one Vimes. Image
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Ghost » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:54 pm

Ghost

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum