Headlines That Left You Speechless 2

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Headlines That Left You Speechless 2

Postby raptornx01 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:29 am

Quatermass wrote: :|

Okaaay...

CNN posted saying they were investigating the situation.

I had more to say but after rewriting a dozen times I found I couldn't express my thoughts on the matter without heavy censoring. I'll just say I've always had a very low tolerance for people that would try to tell others what they can and can't like. Especially when said people are hypocrites.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Quatermass » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:53 am

raptornx01 wrote:
Quatermass wrote: :|

Okaaay...

CNN posted saying they were investigating the situation.

I had more to say but after rewriting a dozen times I found I couldn't express my thoughts on the matter without heavy censoring. I'll just say I've always had a very low tolerance for people that would try to tell others what they can and can't like. Especially when said people are hypocrites.

I wasn't mocking your post. I know that you're a brony. And I agree that that was a trivial reason for firing someone, hence my bemused reaction. Admittedly, I don't really like My Little Pony (though I have heard much of it via TV Tropes), but I try to keep my opinions to myself, especially as I haven't actually watched anything of it, and complaining about shows that you haven't watched isn't a good thing, despite Mary Whitehouse's opinion on the matter. Actually, she'd probably say that it promotes bestiality or Satanism or something else objectionable along those lines, if she were still alive. She's that sort of paranoid uptight moral guardian. :roll:

It's also good that you watched what you said on the post. Better to hesitate and edit than hastily post something you'll regret. :)
"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby Dotsie » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:48 am

I'm all for people liking what they want (as long as it's legal of course), but it's possible that this isn't the whole story. He seems pretty aggressive, OK I know he's just lost his job, but if that language was how he responded to his coworkers harrassment, that might have been a factor. I think everyone there could probably have done with some equality and diversity training. It's not in an employers interests to fire someone for a trivial reason, it's expensive to go through the hiring process.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Quatermass » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:34 am

Dotsie wrote:It's not in an employers interests to fire someone for a trivial reason, it's expensive to go through the hiring process.

You should read some of the anecdotes on Not Always Working, Dotsie. It may not be in their interests, but some employers don't care. :roll:

But you do have a point. He may have been fired for reasons other than being a brony, and that's just the slanted version the slighted brony is spreading. Who knows? It is reported by someone from the internet, after all...
"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby Bouncy Castle » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:39 am

Dementia................ at 29

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-24223897
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby pip » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:59 am

Ouch.Thats so sad.
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Quatermass » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:10 am

Bouncy Castle wrote:Dementia................ at 29

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-24223897

God, I feel like that all the time.

But seriously, that's [EFF!]ed up. Dementia at 29, in a care facility at 42. How is that possible without repetitive brain trauma? :|

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby Bouncy Castle » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:20 am

Pure bad luck, it would seem.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby raisindot » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:31 pm

raptornx01 wrote:Someone has claimed to have been fired for being a brony.

If you aren't allowed to admit to like a tv show, you shouldn't be allowed to admit to liking sports either, or anything else for that matter.

Hard to comment without cursing.

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-1041514

Gotta say, after reading the guy's post it sounds like he had many more problems getting along with coworkers and his boss than his side of the story told. My guess is that he's not quite telling the full story and that he was probably on the line to get fired anyway.
raisindot

Postby Penfold » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:49 pm

That was my impression as well.
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Quatermass » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:11 am

http://www.skynews.com.au/topstories/article.aspx?id=913575&cid=ZBP_NEWS_L_L1-4_ChopperReaddiesaftercancerbattle_RSS_091013

Mark 'Chopper' Read is dead. I can't say that I am sad or elated at his passing. But I'll mark it regardless.

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby pip » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:04 am

Not to be heartless but a torturer and killer shall not be missed .
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Quatermass » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:42 am

pip wrote:Not to be heartless but a torturer and killer shall not be missed .

Of other criminals. He was a toecutter. It's a mistake to ascribe altruistic motives to him, even he said that, but it's also worth pointing out that his victims were criminals themselves. And in his books, he takes great pains to point out how harsh prison life is and how it should be avoided, so if anything good could be said to come from Mark Chopper Read, it's that.

In more 'speechless with joy' news, although this has been posted elsewhere...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-24448063

:D

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby pip » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:26 am

Quatermass wrote:
pip wrote:Not to be heartless but a torturer and killer shall not be missed .

Of other criminals. He was a toecutter. It's a mistake to ascribe altruistic motives to him, even he said that, but it's also worth pointing out that his victims were criminals themselves. And in his books, he takes great pains to point out how harsh prison life is and how it should be avoided, so if anything good could be said to come from Mark Chopper Read, it's that.

In more 'speechless with joy' news, although this has been posted elsewhere...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-24448063

:D

He kidnapped and tortured anyone he was payed to. Toecutting, blowtorches etc etc. He also tried to cripple every one not in his gang while in prison. He killed multiple people. No justification no matter what the targets were.
Or are you advocating capital and corporal punishment for all criminals.

Can't turn a hardened vicious criminal into a Robin Hood figure.
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Quatermass » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:36 am

I'm not trying to do that for Chopper.

Anyway, did you read the new article, Pip? :D

-the Master
Quatermass

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum