(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Headlines That Left You Speechless 2

Postby janet » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:21 am

Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby Dotsie » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:23 pm

Quatermass wrote:How do you know that the Journal of Cosmology has no credibility? I'm just asking.

They've published sensationalist stuff in the past with no scientific basis, and their peer review process has been called into question more than once. NASA has distanced itself, probably because one of their ex-employees has published 'proof' of alien life three times :roll:

When there's actually proof of alien life, Science and Nature will be fighting over publishing it, no one else will get a look in.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Quatermass » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:36 pm

Dotsie wrote:
Quatermass wrote:How do you know that the Journal of Cosmology has no credibility? I'm just asking.

They've published sensationalist stuff in the past with no scientific basis, and their peer review process has been called into question more than once. NASA has distanced itself, probably because one of their ex-employees has published 'proof' of alien life three times :roll:

When there's actually proof of alien life, Science and Nature will be fighting over publishing it, no one else will get a look in.

Okay. Thanks. I'm not that knowledgeable about which journals are crap or not. Then again, I hear that Science and Nature get quite a few theories that are later superseded. That's why Peter Watts, the science fiction author, sometimes has science marching on from his well-researched books.
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

-The Twelfth Doctor, Doctor Who: Deep Breath
Quatermass

Postby Dotsie » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:17 am

Hypotheses should get superseded, otherwise science would be a religion! ;) But the important thing is, was it properly researched in the first place, or was the scientific method not followed? There's no shame in having a hypothesis overturned if you did all you could to gather advice at the time (in practice though, it's often not pretty).
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby raptornx01 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:01 pm

I've read far too many pieces of science literature and far to much science history to believe in absolutes (which is ironic considering the number of scientists who accept nothing BUT absolutes). For every "Speed of light is the speed limit of the universe" style argument there is always an annoying little quantum-entanglement lounging around ready to go "What the **** have you been smoking?"

Why I always take a "it's possible" attitude. Too much around we have no explanation for or little understanding. Like orbs, or that hum thing posted before, or the dream stuff I mentioned.

Not to say I jump on every crack pot idea. Like the whole "Rods" thing that was going around for awhile. So many ready to cry "Interdimentional beings" or some other way to get worked up over them. when I just looked at the pictures an thought, "it's a bug. it's a freakin flying stick insect. I mean, fine for an entomologist to get excited over, but it's hardly some earth shattering discovery". ofcourse in the end it was just proven to be a glitch in how cameras capture movement. but still.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby raisindot » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:01 pm

Quatermass wrote:Maybe you can split it, Bouncy. I've seen tweets that have '1/2' and '2/2'.

Anyway, a shot in the arm for the panspermia theory...

http://bigpondnews.com/articles/Technology/2013/09/20/Alien_bugs_discovered_in_atmosphere_907732.html?cid=ZBP_NEWS_L_L4-6_Alienbugsdiscoveredinatmosphere_RSS_190913

What, were the researchers from the Fred Hoyle Foundation?

What a bunch of crapola, to assume that nothing from Earth could get "up so high " in the atmosphere from the ground. And how do we know that these 'bugs" weren't just hitching a ride on the hundreds of rockets that get sent into near-Earth orbit these year?

Let 'em capture some of these things and do a genuine DNA analysis on it. If the life isn't like anything else that's every been discovered on Earth then I'll give it a little more credence. Until then, balderfash!
raisindot

Postby Bouncy Castle » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:15 pm

Report on the BBC says someone in Kenya just tweeted that the police are firing teargas at the crowds of onlookers who are creeping towards the shopping mall.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby janet » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:33 pm

Onlookers? Teargas?
Two wrongs don't make a right.
janet

Postby raptornx01 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:31 pm

Apparently, you aren't an adult till 25 now.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24173194

So does that mean when i was with my ex it was technically illegal? :?
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Quatermass » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:04 am

I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

Quatermass

Postby Ghost » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:20 am

sounds perfectly normal :lol:
Ooh you cheeky little sea winkle
Ghost

Postby Penfold » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:07 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby janet » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:27 pm

Might just suggest that at next Parish meeting....... :shifty:
janet

Postby raptornx01 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:15 pm

Someone has claimed to have been fired for being a brony.

If you aren't allowed to admit to like a tv show, you shouldn't be allowed to admit to liking sports either, or anything else for that matter.

Hard to comment without cursing.

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-1041514
raptornx01

Postby Quatermass » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:01 am

Quatermass

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum