Headlines That Left You Speechless 2

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Headlines That Left You Speechless 2

Postby =Tamar » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:44 pm

There was always some doubt - they legally adopted him, and somebody tested the DNA for a reason. If he was found with someone (not just left on a doorstep), and if so, if they have any information about the people he was found with, that could be a lead to his origin.
=Tamar

Postby raisindot » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:44 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:This is rather sad for all concerned.

http://news.sky.com/story/1126123/boy-s ... ong-family

On the other hand, if the missing child hadn't been 'returned' to the wrong parents, he might have ended up in an orphanage or in foster care, where his life might have been very different, and his parents might have spent their entire lives suffering the loss of a missing son who would never come back (given the low survival changes of kidnapped children, it's quite unlikely the the 'real' son survived his kidnapping) Instead, if appears that, even with the case of genetic mismatching, a boy who might have become an orphan instead grew up in a supportive and loving home with parents who believed he was their real son and he ended up all the better for it.
raisindot

Postby Conforumist » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:34 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:This is rather sad for all concerned.

http://news.sky.com/story/1126123/boy-s ... ong-family

That's really... something,

I would think that the mother especially, would just know, or sense that the child was not hers. But I know that grief can do a lot.
The greatest things in life are not things.
Conforumist

Postby Dotsie » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:07 am

raisindot wrote: (given the low survival changes of kidnapped children, it's quite unlikely the the 'real' son survived his kidnapping)

With babies I would imagine that they are stolen to replace a lost baby, or to sell to childless couples. Not nice, but at least he would be alive somewhere.

I can't help but think these parents must have ignored their feelings that this was more than likely not their son :(
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:40 am

I can't believe that they decided he was their kidnapped child because the ears were a similar shape.

Surely to Offler there were basic blood tests available in 1965?
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Quatermass » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:22 am

Bouncy Castle wrote:I can't believe that they decided he was their kidnapped child because the ears were a similar shape.

Surely to Offler there were basic blood tests available in 1965?

How much were they? And don't forget, it was a very different cultural time.
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

-The Twelfth Doctor, Doctor Who: Deep Breath
Quatermass

Postby Dotsie » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:17 pm

Blood grouping would have been available, and not expensive, but it only rules out, rather than confirms. As in "you are in the 50% of the popluation that could be a parent to this child". DNA testing was more recent.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:43 pm

Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Bouncy Castle

Postby pip » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:53 pm

Wow. Scary stuff. :shock: :shock:
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby raisindot » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:59 pm

New parents should also note: Most baby monitors transmit on standard VHF frequencies that have a range of up to a several thousand feet or more. Anyone equipped with a radio that can receive these frequencies can hear what's going on in baby's room, although why anyone other than a true perv would find the sound of crying, gurgling, sleeping or parental baby talk interesting.
raisindot

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:23 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-23697138

Another case of the big boys trying to show their strength.

Bouncy Castle

Postby pip » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:34 pm

Looks and sounds nothing like it. Idiots :roll:
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:06 pm

I don't know why I'm surprised, I really don't.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23665490

Bouncy Castle

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:26 pm

Not only do they sound different but the product and the branding looks nothing like the silly caffeine drink's livery. :roll:

Baby monitors and rubbish bins - meh! Big Brother's been watching us long before 1984 :evil:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby raptornx01 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:36 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:I don't know why I'm surprised, I really don't.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23665490

So full of ****. firstly, such a device would only be able to count people with smartphones making any "counting data" useless. and secondly other devices like motion detectors and geophones would be much more effective and accurate, and would not come off as prying.

sounds to me more like a proof of concept test as a prelude to rolling out devices that could collect more detailed info.

and forget the fact someone could possibly hack such a device opening up the phones of passerbys to more invasive techniques.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum