Headlines That Left You Speechless 2

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Headlines That Left You Speechless 2

Postby raisindot » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:56 pm

Alanz wrote:What are you thoughts on North Korea deadline being the 10th of April when they intend to strike at South Korea and American Targets, Do you think it will happen or not :?:

Nothing will happen. This is the usual North Korean crazy crap every time a new dictator gets installed. They go nuts, threatening everyone, hoping to get concessions and aid from other countries. This time, I don't think they're going to get anything. As crazy as NK is, they know that starting a war will get them leveled...and there will be no Marshall Plan for their reconstruction.
raisindot

Postby Alanz » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:04 pm

Ok just wondered, Just like they thought that Argentina's threat on the Falklands, Hope your right :think:
Alanz

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:26 pm

I recently watched the Peter Seller's film, 'The Mouse That Roared'. I couldn't help drawing comparisons. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Alanz » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:47 pm

Yes i can totally agree with you Tony
Alanz

Postby raptornx01 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:41 pm

I don't get what would make him think that would be a good idea.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:36 am

I think it has something to do with the control NK has over its people. It seems to me that they get very little news of the outside world and are brought up in fear of their lives if they disagree with their leader. Making threats like this is, I believe, designed to perpetuate the myth amongst the people, that their beloved leader is a strong world leader and that the rest of the world is afraid of him.

This is the country that recently brought us Unicorn Nests. :?

I saw a documentary some years back about the orphans in NK. The leaders tell the people that children in NK are cherished and have good homes. The problem is that there are a lot of orphans and no orphanages. After all, why would they need orphanages in a country where children are cherished. So the children are forced to live on the street. But people are not allowed to acknowledge their existence or even look at them. Giving these children any food or money is punishable.

It seems like a very odd place.
Tonyblack

Postby Square12 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:23 am

Dunno if anyone else has mentioned it but I remember reading about a red top back page headline (the Sun I think) about A Celtic vs Caledonian Thistle game in which Caledonian won by a large margin. the headline: Super-Cally-Go-Balistic-Celtic-Are-Atrocious Which I thought was pure genius!
If you can fill the unforgiving minute,
With sixty seconds worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a man my son.
Square12

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:37 pm

Former HBOS chief executive Sir James Crosby has asked for his knighthood to be removed.

He will also forgo 30% of his pension following last week's critical report into the bank's collapse. Sir James served as chief executive at HBOS between 2001 and 2006.

In the Banking Standards Commission report, Sir James was described as one of the men behind HBOS' downfall.

His request will now be considered by a Whitehall honours committee.
'Deeply sorry'

Sir James said that the banking report "made for very chastening reading".

He added: "Although I stood down as CEO of HBOS in 2006, some three years before it was taken over by Lloyds, I have never sought to disassociate myself from what has happened.

"I would therefore like to repeat today what I said when I appeared in public before the commission in December; namely that I am deeply sorry for what happened at HBOS and the ensuing consequences for former colleagues, shareholders, taxpayers and society in general.

"Shortly after I left HBOS, I received the enormous honour of a knighthood in recognition of my own - and many other people's - contribution to the creation of a company which was then widely regarded as a great success. In view of what has happened subsequently to HBOS, I believe that it is right that I should now ask the appropriate authorities to take the necessary steps for its removal."

He said that during the course of his 30-year career, including 12 years at Halifax and HBOS, he had "both contributed to and built up a substantial pension entitlement".
'Good causes'

Sir James said he had decided to forgo 30% of his gross pension entitlement payable to him during the rest of his lifetime. His current annual pension payment amounts to about £580,000 a year.

"I will be discussing how this reduction is implemented, and whether the amount waived should go to support good causes, or benefit shareholders, with the pension scheme's employer and trustees."

Following the banking standards report, Sir James, who served as chief executive at HBOS between 2001 and 2006, resigned from an advisory position he held at London-based private equity firm Bridgepoint.

He now says he will also stand down from his voluntary position as a trustee of Cancer Research UK.

Last week the banking standards expressed frustration that City regulators had "taken no steps" to consider banning Sir James, and two further former HBOS executives Andy Hornby and Lord Stevenson , from further involvement in financial services.

And it said financial regulators should consider banning three top HBOS bankers from senior roles in the financial sector.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Jack Remillard » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:54 pm

US navy laser cannon shoots down planes
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2013/ ... non-planes

Apparently they've used the prototype to shoot down drone aircraft, and plan to install it aboard the USS Ponce next year.
Jack Remillard

Postby chris.ph » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:27 pm

i love the way they say it wont work in rain and fog, a superheated amplified light source wont have many problems burning thru a fog. the american navy havent said much about the rail gun they were developing for a while it obviously doesnt fit on the project aurora aircraft :lol: :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:30 pm

I had to check that there really was a USS Ponce. :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby Jack Remillard » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:39 pm

Tonyblack wrote:I had to check that there really was a USS Ponce. :lol:

It seems so. :lol:
Jack Remillard

Postby Square12 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:05 pm

Yeah but I wouldn't worry they just ponce about all day!
If you can fill the unforgiving minute,
With sixty seconds worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a man my son.
Square12

Postby raptornx01 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:25 pm

Wasn't the railgun supposed to be like, half the length of a destroyer and could only fire in the direction the ship was pointed?
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby chris.ph » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:07 pm

thats the one, but could hit the moon if it was aimed correctly :D
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum