Headlines That Left You Speechless 2

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Headlines That Left You Speechless 2

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:33 am

The BBC are seriously culpable in all this.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Quatermass » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:00 am

Regardless of whether they are, they'll certainly be scrambling to cover their derrieres. After the whole Jimmy Savile saga, you can be sure of that much. :|

The incidents involving Harris I mentioned were Aussie ones, though. And, of course, we've had our own sexual abuse scandal in Robert Hughes of Hey Dad..! fame. Unfortunately, apparently higher-ups covered for him.

This whole sordid saga about Rolf Harris makes those jokes I hear about him in QI and in at least one Doctor Who story (the audio story Heroes of Sontar) sour in the mouth. :(
"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby Quatermass » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:01 am

"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby cols » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:20 am

as if having a bad day was an excuse for being beyond ignorant
cols

Postby Ghost » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:48 pm

Ghost

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:05 pm

I love it! :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby The Mad Collector » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:14 pm

Brilliant :D
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby chris.ph » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:27 pm

:lol: :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby raisindot » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:39 pm

FREE W(H)ALESY!
raisindot

Postby raptornx01 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:15 am

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/business/dis ... 01197.html

Disney and DreamWorks May Have Been Part of Illegal Pixar/Lucasfilm Wage-Fixing Cartel

it seem nearly every major hollywood animation studio conspired to keep wages low. Basically they all made agreements with one another not to recruit people from competing studios. They wouldn't prevent people wanting to transfer, but wouldn't actively seek them out. The idea being that no one would approach someone working for a competitor and offer them more pay to come to them instead, which meant that that competitor didn't have to raise anyone's pay to keep them.

and all this came out because there was an antitrust suit against google, apple and others for doing that very same thing and it turned out the plan originally came from Pixar when Steve Jobs was still the owner. So it started there and spread from the animation houses to the tech companies.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:41 am

Feegled from the Cunning one's site.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2009/s ... hood-jones Image
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby raisindot » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:53 pm

raptornx01 wrote:http://www.cartoonbrew.com/business/disney-and-dreamworks-pixar-lucasfilm-wage-fixing-cartel-101197.html

Disney and DreamWorks May Have Been Part of Illegal Pixar/Lucasfilm Wage-Fixing Cartel

it seem nearly every major hollywood animation studio conspired to keep wages low. Basically they all made agreements with one another not to recruit people from competing studios. They wouldn't prevent people wanting to transfer, but wouldn't actively seek them out. The idea being that no one would approach someone working for a competitor and offer them more pay to come to them instead, which meant that that competitor didn't have to raise anyone's pay to keep them.

and all this came out because there was an antitrust suit against google, apple and others for doing that very same thing and it turned out the plan originally came from Pixar when Steve Jobs was still the owner. So it started there and spread from the animation houses to the tech companies.

Low wages for cartoonists? Old story. For fifty years, Charles Schulz worked for Peanuts.
raisindot

Postby Penfold » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:29 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:18 pm

raisindot wrote:
raptornx01 wrote:http://www.cartoonbrew.com/business/disney-and-dreamworks-pixar-lucasfilm-wage-fixing-cartel-101197.html

Low wages for cartoonists? Old story. For fifty years, Charles Schulz worked for Peanuts.

And he was dogon good. :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Quatermass » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:28 am

Speaking of cartoons...

http://www.skynews.com.au/news/showbiz/arts/2014/07/15/comic-icon-archie-dies-saving-gay-friend.html?cid=BP_CAROUSEL_NEWS_COMIC_ICON_ARCHIE_DIES_1507

I don't know what's more bemusing: that there's a gay character in Archie, or that Archie's going to die. :|

Why do I get the feeling that this is going to go down the same way as the death of Superman?

-the Master
Quatermass

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum