Headlines That Left You Speechless 2

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Headlines That Left You Speechless 2

Postby Watchman44 » Wed May 21, 2014 5:38 pm

Two men abscond from open prison in Cheshire.

Now that headline is not what actually left me speechless, It was the final paragraph of the story, bearing in mind this is a PRISON they are reporting on........"It houses 321 prisoners, each of whom has their own key and have less than two years of their sentence left to serve." :shock:
Who watches the watchman.......
FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC
Watchman44

Postby The Mad Collector » Wed May 21, 2014 5:52 pm

It was the deduction powers of the police looking for them that got me

Supt Martin Cleworth said officers were "making every effort to locate these two men including liaising with colleagues in other forces".

"They may be travelling together or separately," he said.

You don't say :roll: :roll: :roll:
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Penfold » Wed May 21, 2014 6:00 pm

I think I might have told you these two tales that I heard from a local when discussing the open prison at Ford which is on one of my regular walking routes but I think they are worth repeating. I had asked him whether there was a problem with crime in the area bearing in mind the location of the prison. His reply was;

The biggest crime in the area occurred when someone broke into the prison, gained entrance to the workshop, and stole a load of tools and equipment. :lol:

They do a roll call in the morning and again in the evening. The morning roll call always came up with one extra person than they should have had while the evening call resulted in what should have been the correct figure. Upon investigation, it transpired that an ex prisoner was living rough in nearby Littlehampton and was sneaking in each day for breakfast before returning to Littlehampton to go about his business for the day. :lol:

Unfortunately, I have no way of verifying the truth of these but the person telling me seemed sincere. :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby The Mad Collector » Tue May 27, 2014 6:54 am

Well it's certainly an unusual solution for the old murder problem as to how to dispose of the body

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-27583576
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Quatermass » Wed May 28, 2014 12:08 am

http://www.skynews.com.au/news/top-stories/2014/05/28/pakistan-woman-beaten-to-death-by-family.html?cid=BP_RSS_SN-TOPSTORIES_3_Pakistanwomanbeatentodeathbyfamily_280514

Ugh. Honour crimes are an oxymoron. And did you see that? 869 women killed last year for so-called honour in Pakistan.
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

-The Twelfth Doctor, Doctor Who: Deep Breath
Quatermass

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed May 28, 2014 8:14 pm

I read a horrific story the other day (on the Daily Mail website, so I won't bother posting a link) about the Chinese authorities going to close cemeteries at the beginning of June, so elderly people are committing suicide so they can be buried before the deadline.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Quatermass » Wed May 28, 2014 8:57 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:I read a horrific story the other day (on the Daily Mail website, so I won't bother posting a link) about the Chinese authorities going to close cemeteries at the beginning of June, so elderly people are committing suicide so they can be buried before the deadline.

Leaving aside that horrific story, and the dubious source, why are the Chinese authorities closing cemetaries? Is it a space thing? A pollution thing? Are they deciding to make Soylent Green? :|
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

Quatermass

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu May 29, 2014 1:51 pm

This is the article.

Dozens of elderly Chinese people have been killing themselves to avoid a looming ban on burials.

The elderly suicides want to make sure their deaths are registered before a June 1 deadline, after which Anhui province authorities will close all cemeteries.

Anyone who dies after that date will have to be cremated because, authorities say, cemeteries are taking up too much space.

In order to drive the message home council officials have been visiting funeral parlours and smashing up coffins.
The draconian move has only hastened the rate of suicide as elderly people rush to guarantee one of the few remaining.
The new rules were published on April 1. Regional officials said: 'Before June 1 people can still consign their bodies for burial, but after that the only option offered will be cremation.'

In urban areas it has meant little change, but in rural areas the idea of cremation is abhorrent to many and there has been extreme opposition.

Local media has reported dozens of cases in which elderly people have killed themselves in order to qualify for a burial.
Zhang Wenying, 81, hanged herself on May 13. She left behind a note saying she had ended it all to make sure she could have a decent death, and she expected to be buried.

Another was 97-year-old Wu Lixiu, who died on May 12.

There have also been deaths in the provincial capital, and in three villages elders recorded at least seven people who have committed suicide to make sure they are buried instead of cremated.
'It's hard for the old people to accept the policy, so the government should give them more time to think about it, but not carry out the policy on such short notice,' said one elder.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Sister Jennifer » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:59 pm

Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby chillicamper » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:21 am

:shock: I'm normally good with heights, but that one even made me a bit dizzy :lol:
Wooden stuff at www.iwoodlovethat.co.uk
chillicamper

Postby Quatermass » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:16 am

http://www.skynews.com.au/news/world/nthamerica/2014/06/05/12-year-old-us-stabbing-victim-improving.html

I'm glad that the victim's condition is improving, and I'm glad that they're treating the would-be murderers as adults. Even so, you'd have to be a complete idiot, or a basket case, to believe that Slender Man is actually real. Scary, paranoia-inducing, and nightmarish, yes, but not actually real. And why, oh why, could 12 year olds access stories that are clearly MA15+/15 at least?

Quatermass

Postby Conforumist » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:42 pm

I don't know how far reaching this story is:
Three RCMP officers dead and 2 others injured.

Moncton shooting: Finding, arresting suspect 'top priority'
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-bruns ... -1.2665707

Moncton is about 2.5 hours from here and my wife's home town. This is unheard of around here.
The greatest things in life are not things.
Conforumist

Postby cols » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:24 pm

Both frightening stories
cols

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:58 pm

So it's just not America that has gun nuts. :(
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Conforumist » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:36 pm

He gave himself up peacefully today.

Moncton shootings: Justin Bourque charged with 1st-degree murder
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-bruns ... -1.2666996

The RCMP officially released the names of the dead officers:

Const. Dave Ross, 32.
Const. Fabrice Georges Gevaudan, 45.
Const. Douglas James Larche, 40.

I went to lunch with a fiend today. He said there were references (or video) on the guys Facebook page of "The Purge" movie. He was also getting "likes" from people yesterday.
The greatest things in life are not things.
Conforumist

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum