Headlines That Left You Speechless 2

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Headlines That Left You Speechless 2

Postby pip » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:41 am

We had an ad a few years back where an eejit said he wasn't voting because he didn't do politics but then started giving out about the price of petrol , the cost of a pint , the state of the roads etc but he was promptly told to shut up because he didn't do politics.
Low turnouts will always suit the hardliners sadly so if people aren't voting this is what happens
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby michelanCello » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:21 pm

That's the thing though! People who don't vote shouldn't be critisisng...
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby Penfold » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:27 pm

I feel the same way and if there are no parties or candidates that I feel I can vote for, I will go to the polling office and deliberately spoil the ballot paper in protest (spoiled papers are counted and recorded although not always reported on in the press). :)
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:35 pm

Penfold wrote:I feel the same way and if there are no parties or candidates that I feel I can vote for, I will go to the polling office and deliberately spoil the ballot paper in protest (spoiled papers are counted and recorded although not always reported on in the press). :)

I was once at a polling station where a man got his voting card and tore it up saying out loud: "I am spoiling my ballot paper!" What an idiot - he could have done the same thing by staying home. He should have spoiled it and posted the ballot paper. :roll:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby phalarope » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:47 am

I am an election judge in my local precinct in the US, and it irritates the h**l out of me when people say they don't vote because there is no one they can vote for, then they proceed to whine about the current state of government and politics. Here you can vote a blank ballot, and while it's never been so bad that I can't find something/someone to vote for, I've certainly left plenty of races or questions blank - and these ballots count for turnout. We have closed primaries in my state, and I'm happy to vote for the raving looney who I know will go nowhere if they happen to make it to the general, if the leading candidate in my party is one who frightens the crap out of me. It's pathetic how many supposedly educated, worldly people I try to inform, who look at me like I'm the raving looney for 'wasting' my vote. Well, if you don't vote, you can't even claim to have wasted it....
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.'
-- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips
phalarope

Postby Quatermass » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:58 am

There have been times when I have been tempted to informal vote (it's not illegal in Australia, though inciting others to do so is) to show my contempt for politicians. The only thing stopping me is that it still might allow the people I don't want to get into power to get into power. Unfortunately, the last couple of elections, namely state and federal, seem to indicate that my vote isn't worth a flying [EFF!], as the Coalition has gotten into power here, and yet I voted against them. Democracy is merely a semi-formalised version of mob rule, and said mob has the IQ of a puddle and a memory span far worse than a proverbial goldfish. :roll:
All you need to understand
Is everything you know is wrong!

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby Quatermass » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:08 am

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby chillicamper » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:04 am

:shock: :shock:

I used to work as a tree surgeon. That must be a million to one chance that didn't hit an artery and kill him. Chainsaw chains move at anywhere from 14 - 26m/s. When you get severe kick back you don't stand a chance of stopping the saw. I can only think he was wearing a protective jacket and the chain caught the collar and slowed it sufficiently - or else he really would not be here today.

I've some decent little scars across my left arm from a chainsaw, and it wasn't even running!

I also dropped a chainsaw on my leg when I dislocated my shoulder for the first time. Ruined a 70 quid pair of protective trousers, but saved my leg......so I reckon it was a bargain. :lol:
Wooden stuff at www.iwoodlovethat.co.uk
chillicamper

Postby Quatermass » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:49 am

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby Quatermass » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:49 pm

As an adjunct to the above, the girl was found yesterday, safe and apparently unharmed. However, the why of the abduction is still being investigated, as there are claims it was related to a threat made by someone known to the family...

Anyway, now onto the ridiculous.

http://www.skynews.com.au/topstories/article.aspx?id=966951&cid=BP_RSS_TOPSTORIES_3_Pakistancourtdropscaseagainstbaby_130414

It's stupid enough that a baby can be charged with attempted murder. A little less astounding, but still shocking, is that a twelve year old is considered an adult under the law in Pakistan as far as criminal responsibility is concerned, and that this was only raised from seven last year. :shock:

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby Watchman44 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:06 am

That is still 2 years older than in the UK Q, where the age of criminal responsibility is 10.
Who watches the watchman.......
FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC
Watchman44

Postby Quatermass » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:09 am

Watchman44 wrote:That is still 2 years older than in the UK Q, where the age of criminal responsibility is 10.

And here too. I thought this whole criminal responsibility BS had to do with being tried as an adult. Wikipedia has just proved me wrong, but it's mildly confusing. :?

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby Quatermass » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:04 am

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby =Tamar » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:22 am

Quatermass wrote: I thought this whole criminal responsibility BS had to do with being tried as an adult. Wikipedia has just proved me wrong, but it's mildly confusing. :?

I think the difference is between degrees of punishment. A ten-year-old can knowingly commit a crime, but will not be punished the same way as a 21-year-old.
=Tamar

Postby Quatermass » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:52 am

http://www.skynews.com.au/news/top-stories/2014/04/26/uni-funding-change-on-the-cards.html?cid=BP_RSS_SN-TOPSTORIES_5_Unifundingchangeonthecards_260414

Great. We're going to become a nation of braindead f***tards because the government which I didn't vote for are penny-pinching f***heads. :evil:

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum